• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#41 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

A tad patronising wouldn't you say?

Give me a good reason why Fev shouldn't try and sign current internationals, it's not like it will be the first time we've had current GB/England internationals in the team.

Not at all..... And the reason why current internationals won't sign for fev is there's no incentive.

These are professionals who train 4/5 times a week and play at the highest level, why would they want to play with part timers?? And that's being disrespectful to the division.

Ambition is good, fighting above your weight is ridiculous.

Anyway, give me the attraction of an international dropping down a division ??

#42 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

Without being patronising, it's a fair bet that Bradford will get relegated into the same division as Fev for next season, but if they were to make a bid for the same 3 players no-one would raise an eyebrow (apart from the fact they couldn't afford them).

#43 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

TBF yeah, please tell me why 1 of them would join fev??

It's not a dig at fev or the ambition, however we need to be realistic in life.

Fev bidding for the best players in their division would be the ideal, not bidding for current internationals from last seasons LLS.

If/when Bradford get relegated and then pursue top players in their bid to return to SL, would you say the same ?

#44 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

Without being patronising, it's a fair bet that Bradford will get relegated into the same division as Fev for next season, but if they were to make a bid for the same 3 players no-one would raise an eyebrow (apart from the fact they couldn't afford them).

I would and standby all the comments made to date on this thread.

You don't see hugo boss in primark..

#45 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

If/when Bradford get relegated and then pursue top players in their bid to return to SL, would you say the same ?

Yep, too right...... And any other lower league team, it just doesn't happen

Full time players playing against part timers, why would they drop a level.

There's a place and a market for everyone, however if you were at the pinnacle of your sport why the hell would you drop a level..... Career suicide

#46 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Give me a good reason why Fev shouldn't try and sign current internationals, it's not like it will be the first time we've had current GB/England internationals in the team.

Back in he day the Cougars singed Nick Pinckney, a GB winger, Daryl Powell, a GB stand off and now Cas coach, Fleary an international forward and several others and were coached by the then GB coach, now at England RU and Cougars were in the same division as Fev are now and didn't have the financial backing that Fev have now. Even farther back Fulham signed a whole host of top players and then beat Wigan in their first game on their way to the top flight.

I think Fev and other top CC teams like Fax, Leigh and the Bulls will bid for top players and will get some of them.

#47 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

Yep, too right...... And any other lower league team, it just doesn't happen

Full time players playing against part timers, why would they drop a level.

There's a place and a market for everyone, however if you were at the pinnacle of your sport why the hell would you drop a level..... Career suicide

Are you sure that several top players at top teams on CC will not be full time when the increased funding is delivered.? A top player like Crabtree who is getting to the upper age limit for a SL players might well fancy a drop down to extend his earnings window.

#48 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

I think Fev and other top CC teams like Fax, Leigh and the Bulls will bid for top players and will get some of them.

Past their sell by date players

#49 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

Are you sure that several top players at top teams on CC will not be full time when the increased funding is delivered.? A top player like Crabtree who is getting to the upper age limit for a SL players might well fancy a drop down to extend his earnings window.

Let's get this straight, I'm talking about international status players, players who have played in SL playoffs, wembley finals and won the LLS

If Crabtree wanted to drop down he'd drop to a lesser club in the SL. IMHO the only time a SL player would drop down to a champ team would be to play for his home team

#50 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

Let's get this straight, I'm talking about international status players, players who have played in SL playoffs, wembley finals and won the LLS

If Crabtree wanted to drop down he'd drop to a lesser club in the SL. IMHO the only time a SL player would drop down to a champ team would be to play for his home team

Well you are entitled to your opinion. Let's see what happens before the start of next season .

#51 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Well you are entitled to your opinion. Let's see what happens before the start of next season .

Respect to you and thanks, your a good poster and as I say respect to you.....I've just a strong opinion on this.

#52 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

Not at all..... And the reason why current internationals won't sign for fev is there's no incentive.

These are professionals who train 4/5 times a week and play at the highest level, why would they want to play with part timers?? And that's being disrespectful to the division.

Ambition is good, fighting above your weight is ridiculous.

Anyway, give me the attraction of an international dropping down a division ??

Fev will be full time next year. so no difference there.

Money would be one attraction (we've got plenty), the glory of taking a lowly team back to the big time might be another.

Remember when world champion Michael Schumacher "dropped down" to a Ferrari team that hadn't won anything for 20 years, but had big plans?  That went quite well iirc.  (and i'm not suggesting fev are the ferrari of RL before anyone chimes in)

Edited by Ponterover, 13 June 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#53 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

Money would be one attraction (we've got plenty), the glory of taking a lowly team back to the big time might be another.

Remember when world champion Michael Schumacher "dropped down" to a Ferrari team that hadn't won anything for 20 years, but had big plans?  That went quite well iirc.  (and i'm not suggesting fev are the ferrari of RL before anyone chimes in)

Like your enthusiasm, however these guys are still SL top quality. This is my issue, I could understand if this was a bid knowing fev were coming up next season.

#54 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

Like your enthusiasm, however these guys are still SL top quality. This is my issue, I could understand if this was a bid knowing fev were coming up next season.

And there speaks a man who follows a team that were mediocre for as long as I can remember.......

#55 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

And there speaks a man who follows a team that were mediocre for as long as I can remember.......

Yes and they brought the token Aussie and kiwis over and won jack...... I've been a fan since 83. Wires have won a few lanc cups, a regal trophy and a premiership..... We've sold our best players and been in the poo many times, I can happily say we've been saved by Moran, however he's gone about his business properly and in stages.

No boom or bust for us and bought players who were in our league, so there's an attraction

#56 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

Absolutely.

As a neutral I wouldn't see Fev as any lesser a club than the Wolves. Very similar standing at different points of development.

Reminds me of when, not too long ago, Warrington wanted signed three of our international players just when they'd found a pot of gold.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#57 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:40 AM

PMJ is absolutely spot with what he is saying.

#58 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:53 AM

The model T Ford was an extremely reliable and successful vehicle and probably contributed a lot more to motoring than Ferrari. Featherstone Ford. It has quite an attractive ring to it.

#59 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

Absolutely.
As a neutral I wouldn't see Fev as any lesser a club than the Wolves. Very similar standing at different points of development.
Reminds me of when, not too long ago, Warrington wanted signed three of our international players just when they'd found a pot of gold.

Similar - wires have never been relegated, always dined at the top table.
We've been pants for 70 off a 100 seasons
Again wires brought players in year after year as the crowds increase
Gleeson, King, Monas, Won the cc then bought Atkins & Myler then won another CC and got Ratchford in. Never the chance of busting the club EVEN if Moran left.

#60 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

PMJ is absolutely spot with what he is saying.

Thank you and you'll notice my clubs under attack.

I'm defending Super League Internationals, which I've made clear in every post and it come back to Wires and I'm patronising.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users