TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Carcassone in Super League

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

One for the treizistes.....Is Carcassone's bid to enter SL2 and SL proper in 5 years genuine? If so what's the thrust behind it, I understand they may have a sugar daddy.
Wondering if the town as small as Carcassone can maintain a pro team. For this to work they should be linking up with Lezignan & Limoux and take in the whole region.
In saying that I'd like to see Avignon in there first.

#2 nkpom

nkpom
  • Coach
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

Wondering if the town as small as Carcassone can maintain a pro team.

Castleford manage to - Featherstone and Leigh think they can!

#3 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

Castleford manage to - Featherstone and Leigh think they can!

and London has struggled
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#4 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

Thought SL entry was based on playing performance now, no need for all this willy measuring, my town is bigger than yours bull poop.

If they've got the brass to get in, why not.  Stick 'em in the championship along with Toulouse and let them battle for a place.

#5 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

An utterly fabulous city (or at least the citadel makes it so), I'd love to see Carcassonne playing in SL. If it got 7,000 - 8,000 crowds week in week out that would be viable, I'm certain.

And Avignon, too.

#6 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

Stick 'em in the championship along with Toulouse and let them battle for a place.

I disagree. Taking French clubs from the Elite and putting them in the Championship, does nothing for the game. Toulouse need to be in SL and the standard in the Elite needs to be improved. 

#7 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

One for the treizistes.....Is Carcassone's bid to enter SL2 and SL proper in 5 years genuine? If so what's the thrust behind it, I understand they may have a sugar daddy.
Wondering if the town as small as Carcassone can maintain a pro team. For this to work they should be linking up with Lezignan & Limoux and take in the whole region.

went on tour maybe 25-30 years ago with youth club team to the Carcassone area , great times , great area .

#8 Teessidewire

Teessidewire
  • Coach
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:58 PM

went on tour maybe 25-30 years ago with youth club team to the Carcassone area , great times , great area .

Fantastic place, went there for a couple of nights after Wire played in Perpignan in 2011.

#9 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:44 AM

Thought SL entry was based on playing performance now, no need for all this willy measuring, my town is bigger than yours bull poop.

If they've got the brass to get in, why not. Stick 'em in the championship along with Toulouse and let them battle for a place.

Why should they have to go in the championship.

#10 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 726 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:36 AM

Carcassone as you probably know have a huge tradition of RL and an amazing place in its history. If they were welcoming SL every week they would almost certainly get the required numbers of people watching. And if we had the bottle and sense to have them and T O along with the Dragons we might even create our own SOO level but we could call it something else!

Naysayers, detractors and negatives please form an orderly queue !

Terse, short,  pointed and personal please wait for the call!

;)

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:41 AM

Carcassone as you probably know have a huge tradition of RL and an amazing place in its history. If they were welcoming SL every week they would almost certainly get the required numbers of people watching. And if we had the bottle and sense to have them and T O along with the Dragons we might even create our own SOO level but we could call it something else!

Terse, short,  pointed and personal please wait for the call!
;)

You could just call it France v England? unless you're talking about an all French affair involving Catalans, Toulouse and carcassonne.

#12 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 726 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:38 AM

You could just call it France v England? unless you're talking about an all French affair involving Catalans, Toulouse and carcassonne.

No cos you could include any Oz/NZ players too with a specific limit for each side! We need less SL games and more matches that increase the level at which players have to perform and hopefully with 3 SL clubs and an origin the French level would also improve. It's certainly no use expecting a fantastic lead on international RL from Oz. A whole continent for a country and a history to achieve so limited an outlook - that's a real cultural triumph if ever there was one!

Of course a lot would depend on how it was: approached , marketed, sponsored and rewarded so the chances seem a little slim, to say the least!

Terse, short,  pointed and personal please wait for the call! ;)

Edited by Oxford, 15 June 2014 - 06:55 AM.

#13 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

The RFL won't like this. The RFL are trying their best to make Super league a M62 competition and along comes another club from France who wants to join it.

I predict long faces at Red Hall on Monday morning when they here this news. It looks as though the RFL master plan needs more thought ;)

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,080 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

So does anyone know if there's any truth in this then?

I would imagine Avignon will be sniffing around for a spot in the future also. With the new system, I imagine all teams would have to come through the Championship first. Would the Championship be able to hold potentially 3-4 French clubs?
Posted Image

#15 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

So does anyone know if there's any truth in this then?
I would imagine Avignon will be sniffing around for a spot in the future also. With the new system, I imagine all teams would have to come through the Championship first. Would the Championship be able to hold potentially 3-4 French clubs?

Also would the French elite league be able to cope with the loss of 2-3 of it's strongest teams? Personally I'd like to see us try and grow rugby league in France by possibly looking at non league cities like Marseille, Bordeaux, Montpellier, Lyon etc.

#16 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Carcasonne is a fantastic place to visit I went to watch France v Gt Britain in 1993 and we got a great welcome from the local fans.

I am sure most SL clubs would take large followings there.

#17 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,080 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Also would the French elite league be able to cope with the loss of 2-3 of it's strongest teams? Personally I'd like to see us try and grow rugby league in France by possibly looking at non league cities like Marseille, Bordeaux, Montpellier, Lyon etc.

I think the Elite league will take an initial hit but will build back up again with new clubs and increased popularity from more exposure in SL.
Posted Image

#18 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

Why not invite the top two Elite clubs into the middle 8 playoffs?

#19 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,080 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

Why not invite the top two Elite clubs into the middle 8 playoffs?

I'd prefer a separate "middle group" for French teams and British teams.

If a French club finishes in the bottom four of SL, they compete in a group against the top 3 Elite teams. The other 3 British clubs play against the top 4 Championship clubs.

They'd have to agree on a number of French SL clubs to start with, but to be honest that would be better.
Posted Image

#20 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

I think they should a team from paris in the SL at the expense of an establised team and maybe put a team from toulouse in the championship. Does anyone at redhall have a clue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users