Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Carcassone in Super League

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

#401 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,835 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

There are enough false syllogisms in certain of these posts to fuel a Degree-level course for many years. I despair that sponsors might be reading this, shaking their heads in disbelief.

#402 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

There are enough false syllogisms in certain of these posts to fuel a Degree-level course for many years. I despair that sponsors might be reading this, shaking their heads in disbelief.

Nice hyperbole. I can think of two syllogisms so far. Whether they are false or not is essentially what this whole thing boils down to. The syllogisms I see so far are:

The Superleague has financial value

The Cats are in Superleague

Therefore Cats add financial value to Superleague

Cats improve the product that is Superleague

This improved product attracts better sponsors of a higher quality who pay more money

Therefore Cats add financial value to Superleague

What are the rest? Let me remind you that a conclusion must be drawn - I am not sure that 'no conclusion' can be considered a conclusion. I might be wrong though.

And can you explain sentence number two?

Actually, don't bother. I'm not going to change some posters opinions, and they won't change mine. My final word on this (as hard as it will be to leave this thread alone) - all I was trying to say is that there isn't enough evidence to conclude that Cats add financial value (above and beyond any other team) to the SL. For the record, I am not saying that Cats don't add value - I am saying that you can't conclude either way without the stakeholders input.

Edited by zorquif, 08 July 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#403 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:41 AM

Les Catalans are the same. They arent there as the only reason Sky buys SL broadcast rights, but they form part of a larger package. With Les Catalans we offer a better product, a better package as a whole, a package for sports fans.........

Your comparison fails on the most basic levels. It assumes we would have the sponsors we have now at the price we have now without Les Catalans. You have no evidence for this. It may very well be that we would have gotten a lower tv contract, fewer sponsors at a lower amount than we do right now without Les Catalans. 

If you want to ask which sponsors and broadcasters are putting funds in to the game because of Les Catalans the simple answer is all of them because all of them are putting funds in to the competition Les Catalans are in and not to the other ones. How do you know that some sponsors wont review that sponsorship as the game contracts? how do you know that the spread of the game isnt a factor in the decision making of the sponsors we already have. 

Enjoyed your posts

I've no doubt if Les Catalans had been relegated this year the TV contract would not go down next year.Bradford's loss will not see the contract fall and I think we could afford to lose Wigan Leeds Hull Wire and Saints in subsequent years.

I would however fear at the time of renegotiation five years hence the contract value going down though. Maybe no contract at all.

I like your point that second tier RL did not attract a zero contract but a negative value contract that required the game to pay production costs to show it.

It kind of gives me the impression (but no hard and fast fact) that the SKY people may not be too bothered about the odd club here and there, but for the best TV contract we need the biggest clubs producing the players and battling it out before the biggest crowds.

I have to therefore suggest that for the best value TV contract we need to present the potential buyer with the biggest 12 clubs in SL.

Not sure why SKY are televising all the Catalans home games. If they think these are good TV I bet Catalans and Toulouse derbies may go down well with the broadcaster?

The lack of detailed information can allow anyone to be able to spin the broadcasters thoughts on issues like London, Catalans, P & R etc, but the overiding facts as to what SKY actually offer at either end of the scale leaves me confident that if Catalans are up that scale they have a positive value. 

Edited by The Parksider, 08 July 2014 - 06:42 AM.

#404 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

Not sure why SKY are televising all the Catalans home games. If they think these are good TV I bet Catalans and Toulouse derbies may go down well with the broadcaster?

I am under the impression that SKY have paid more this year because more games are being shown. And every other week that extra game come from Perpignan courtesy of French televisions Bein Sports feed.The Sky commentry crew sit I think if I'm not mistaken in a studio somewhere in the UK. The trade off is Bein Sport take other SL games from across the Channel produced by Sky with the French commentary this time done from Paris. Additionally Catalan have outlayed money to install a permanent giant screen which saves SKy the expense of having to re-locate and negates the RFL having to send over additional officials.

A poster a while back said that Catalans are quids in on this one because a supplement is paid to all clubs shown on television. I hope this is so because there has been a fall off in French fans travelling distances to Perpignan since Bein Sport came on stream (for just €11 a month).

Edited by audois, 08 July 2014 - 11:27 AM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#405 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

I am under the impression that SKY have paid more this year because more games are being shown. And every other week that extra game come from Perpignan courtesy of French televisions Bein Sports feed.The Sky commentry crew sit I think if I'm not mistaken in a studio somewhere in the UK. The trade off is Bein Sport take other SL games from across the Channel produced by Sky with the French commentary this time done from Paris. Additionally Catalan have outlayed money to install a permanent giant screen which saves SKy the expense of having to re-locate and negates the RFL having to send over additional officials.

A poster a while back said that Catalans are quids in on this one because a supplement is paid to all clubs shown on television. I hope this is so because there has been a fall off in French fans travelling distances to Perpignan since Bein Sport came on stream (for just €11 a month).

So that's significant value they're adding to the contract then.

#406 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

So that's significant value they're adding to the contract then.

Not too fast there!!

Those in charge value northern rugby league above all else.

#407 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Not too fast there!!

Those in charge value northern rugby league above all else.

Sky have said that they don't care where viewers live in the UK but they can't sell Sky dishes in France. Of course you know better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users