Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

TV shows they should bring back.

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

Kids from 47a I think. A similar programme to The Double Deckers IIRC.

Melvin Hayes was in Double Deckers too as the janitor. We used to be so jealous of their hideout!

#42 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

The Water Margin/Monkey Magic, Reaper.

+1 for Quantum Leap.

#43 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Mighty Max.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#44 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,776 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

The Water Margin/Monkey

Loved both of those as a lad. I've bought the books they were based on in good translations, and 'The Water Margin' is quite an eye-opener, as the 'heroes' behave in ways that probably would seem a little off by Western standards. One pair of good guys are a husband and wife who run an inn, where they drug and kill passers-by, before serving their remains up as 'pork dumplings'. And there are incidences of cannibalism, infanticide etc. from other characters too. 

Trivia #1: In the TV series, the bandits' leader Lin Chung was played by Atsuo Nakamura, who ended up as a leader in real life, going into politics.

Trivia #2: If you ever got confused feelings about the boy monk Tripitaka in 'Monkey', the character was actually played by a young woman, Masako Natsume.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#45 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

MAX HEADROOM what a brilliant idea that was.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#46 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Biker Mice from Mars. Ren and Stimpy.

#47 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

Prisoner Cell Block H and it's wobbly walls!

#48 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

They did a re-make of that and i think its on next week

#49 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

They did a re-make of that and i think its on next week

NO! Leave it well alone.

#50 GURNER

GURNER
  • Coach
  • 9,459 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

Name that tune

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

#51 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

Name that tune

Was that a show in its own right? Or was it just part of Sunday night at the palladium or whatever?

There's a thing too, remember when shows like that were part and parcel of Sunday nights? Stars on Sunday...jumpers for goalposts. .

#52 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

Jim'll fix it would be an interesting one

#53 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

NO! Leave it well alone.

its on tuesday at midnight ch5 its called wentworth prison ive just set reminder

#54 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,069 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

followed by the Rolf Harris show  :ph34r:

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#55 GURNER

GURNER
  • Coach
  • 9,459 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

Was that a show in its own right? Or was it just part of Sunday night at the palladium or whatever?

There's a thing too, remember when shows like that were part and parcel of Sunday nights? Stars on Sunday...jumpers for goalposts. .

Here ya go matey, all me own wiki work :D

The British version began in 1956. Marion Ryan was the singer in the popular musical quiz Spot The Tune on Granada Television for seven years, with a total of 209 half-hour programmes. Several stars hosted it, including disc-jockey Pete MurrayCanadian pop singer Jackie Rae, and comedians Ken Platt and Ted Ray. The big band in support was that ofPeter Knight and his Orchestra.[1]

It was later revived as Name That Tune on ITV. The UK pilot was recorded in 1976 and became a 15-minute slot on the popular entertainment series Wednesday At Eight but because the game was so popular, producers Thames Television decided to turn Name That Tune into a half-hour weekly series in 1983.[2]

From 1976 until 1983 it was hosted by Tom O'ConnorLionel Blair took over from O'Connor in 1983 until the series was dropped from the ITV schedules in 1988. Maggie Moone and Irish trio Sheeba sang the songs that contestants had to guess, while the pianist (whose hands were a regular feature) was Ronnie Price. Nick Jackson served as the announcer.

In 1997 the series was revived on Channel 5 with Jools Holland as the host for 2 series in 1997 and 1998.[3]

On 5 May 5 2007 the show was briefly revived for Vernon Kay's Gameshow Marathon on ITV, with Peter Dickson as announcer.

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

#56 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,060 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

I was on that Jim fixed it for me to milk a cow blind folded.

#57 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

I was on that Jim fixed it for me to milk a cow blind folded.

My mate went on to meet slade i give him some right stlck when it all come out about saville

#58 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

Kick start.

Totally agree.  Everything was brilliant about it. 

1/The theme tune: right through to the revving motor bike at the end.

2/ The people who were really good: it was fun to watch kids bunny hopping on logs and being impressed by their skills.

3/  the people who were rubbish:  it was brilliant to watch some kid fall off his bike trying to bunny hop on a log and then go off crying.

4/  It in no way inspired you to have any desire to get a motocross bike because it just all looked like more hassle than it was worth.

#59 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Any cartoon series which has more episodes than it is possible to watch during a standard childhood length  (Dogtanian, Mysterious cities of gold, Willy Fogg, Ulysses 31 )  It'll teach kids the importance of perseverance in this quickfire technological age.

#60 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

Muffin the Mule with Annette Mills in black and white.