TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Middle East-Africa Championship

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

Whilst dates are still up in the air, it appears the Middle East-Africa (MEA) Championship is set to become a regular part of the Rugby League International calendar.

As it stands the UAE are set to be the hosts of the inaugural tournament based upon the calendar provided by the SARL overnight.

PROPOSED SCHEDULE:
31st October 2014:
South African Rhinos v United Arab Emirates Eagles
Abu Dhabi

4th November 2014:
South African Rhinos v Lebanon Cedars
Abu Dhabi

7th November 2014:
United Arab Emirates Falcons v Lebanon Cedars
Abu Dhabi

Just like the European Championship has helped the code slowly grow and solidify outposts throughout Europe, I personally feel the final introduction of this type of tournament for the will go a long way to helping RL finally gain some traction in Africa.

Posted Image

#2 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

No Morocco? 

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

No Morocco?

I think they've got enough problems getting their domestic competition onto a sound footing to take part in an international tournament.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 paulmac

paulmac
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

What about Ghana and Kenya?I don't know why Africa has been paired with the middle east.Why not an African Cup AND an Asian Cup featuring Lebanon,UAE Japan,Thailand and The Philippine

#5 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

What about Ghana and Kenya?I don't know why Africa has been paired with the middle east.Why not an African Cup AND an Asian Cup featuring Lebanon,UAE Japan,Thailand and The Philippine

Ghana is growing very quickly and managing that growth might be their priority.  

Nations may with not to participate if it is financially costly. International matches should only be played if they serve a greater purpose in my opinion.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#6 bird

bird
  • Coach
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

Ghana is growing very quickly and managing that growth might be their priority.  

Nations may with not to participate if it is financially costly. International matches should only be played if they serve a greater purpose in my opinion.

Agree entirely. Lebanon, RSA and UAE is a great start.

Edited by bird, 16 June 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#7 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:06 AM

Considering Ghana has just confirmed they'll be playing two matches against the GB Student Pioneers I imagine they are viewing 2014 as a testing the waters year, and would most likely be more open to competing in the MEA Championship in 2015.

Not that you could blame them, after hosting their inaugural domestic season (an impressive 7 team - full home & away series I might add), you can understand why they aren't being too ambitious this year.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users