Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

10 years from now

How the game will look

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

What will both the domestic game here and in Australia and the international Scene look like a decade from now? I can imagine a 2nd French team in super league, more French and welsh players at other super league teams coming through the academies, more expansion teams in the lower league along the lines of Hemel stags and more English players heading down under to the cashed up NRL. As for the Aussie game I can see an 18 team NRL with expansion to Perth and a second Brisbane side, a huge influx of png and Fijian players, maybe even a merger or relocation of at least 1 Sydney team and even more money pouring into the NRL increasing the salary cap even further. On the international stage I can see Fiji and png becoming stronger due to the increased player pool in the NRL pushing them closer to england, nz and australia and the break through of Jamaica into the second tier nations of France, Wales, tonga etc.

Also I should add that as much as I desperately want to see Salford succeed both on and off the pitch I just get this sickening feeling that the wheels will come off a la Branson and the broncos, hope I'm wrong though.

Edited by walter sobchak, 15 June 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#2 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

The NRL will grow on its foundations and expand as you say to Brisbane South and possibly Perth.

Cronulla Sharks to be finally moved to most likely The Central Coast.

I have no idea about the game in Jamaica and find them to be an unlikely candidate.

I worry about the game in England and the UK a lot.

London has been allowed to wither on the vine.

The venture into Wales was a disaster of epic proportions and I can not see much happening at all,

The development in France is not where it should be at this stage and I can not see what is being done to build it.

I am not going to get into the state of more than a few Clubs and their finances.

The Game in England and France is at a crossroads in my opinion.

Lack of leadership is a major issue.

Too many half arsed ideas that are not well thought out and get dropped without a trace or mention when they don't work out.

The Exiles

The A,B, and C qualification for a Super League franchise.

The new system coming up, whatever it is.

Sponsorship of the game at all levels.

In the real world you would be sacked for some of the rubbish that this lot have served up.

Edited by boxhead, 15 June 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#3 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

The NRL will grow on its foundations and expand as you say to Brisbane South and possibly Perth.
Cronulla Sharks to be finally moved to most likely The Central Coast.
I have no idea about the game in Jamaica and find them to be an unlikely candidate.

I worry about the game in England and the UK a lot.
London has been allowed to wither on the vine.
The venture into Wales was a disaster of epic proportions and I can not see much happening at all,
The development in France is not where it should be at this stage and I can not see what is being done to build it.
I am not going to get into the state of more than a few Clubs and their finances.

The Game in England and France is at a crossroads in my opinion.
Lack of leadership is a major issue.
Too many half arsed ideas that are not well thought out and get dropped without a trace or mention when they don't work out.

The Exiles
The A,B, and C qualification for a Super League franchise.
The new system coming up, whatever it is.
Sponsorship of the game at all levels.
In the real world you would be sacked for some of the rubbish that this lot have served up.

I should have stated that Jamaica will be heavily made up of heritage players from England. while Wales will be strengthened by more and more welsh youngsters comming up through English super leagues academy sides with already 3-4 players in both the Wigan and st Helen's setup and a few others at Warrington and Leeds. As for cronulla relocating to the central coast I think is a good shout, either them or manly should consider it. Could you even imagine cronulla moving to Perth or do the Perth league fans prefer their own side rather than a relocated franchise?

#4 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

I should have stated that Jamaica will be heavily made up of heritage players from England. while Wales will be strengthened by more and more welsh youngsters comming up through English super leagues academy sides with already 3-4 players in both the Wigan and st Helen's setup and a few others at Warrington and Leeds. As for cronulla relocating to the central coast I think is a good shout, either them or manly should consider it. Could you even imagine cronulla moving to Perth or do the Perth league fans prefer their own side rather than a relocated franchise?

Relocating teams is expensive for many years but it can work, it has in other codes.

The other option is to knock out a couple of teams and that would be Cronulla and perhaps the Tigers to accommodate some new teams in better geographical areas.

Perth will want their own set up.

The problem they will have is the lack of any foundations in the game, when they play away not many fans will care about them or turn up to watch them get beat.

#5 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 857 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

My predictions:

SL goes back to one up, one down after the dreadful failure of 8x8x8

Toulouse are in SL, along with a London side

Bristol, Nottingham, Medway and Coventry have joined the pro leagues

Perth and Brisbane 2 are in the NRL, with Cronulla moved to Wellington

Scottish players in playing in SL, alongside Welsh and French players

Spanish team based in Girona in Elite 2

Greece are the new European powerhouse, behind England and France

England are defending champions heading into the 2025 WC ;)

#6 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

My predictions:
SL goes back to one up, one down after the dreadful failure of 8x8x8
Toulouse are in SL, along with a London side
Bristol, Nottingham, Medway and Coventry have joined the pro leagues
Perth and Brisbane 2 are in the NRL, with Cronulla moved to Wellington
Scottish players in playing in SL, alongside Welsh and French players
Spanish team based in Girona in Elite 2
Greece are the new European powerhouse, behind England and France
England are defending champions heading into the 2025 WC ;)

I can't honestly see cronulla moving outside of Australia or any other club for that matter, more likely to see them relocate to either the central coast, Perth or adelaide. As for teams like Coventry and Medway they are moving in the right direction going from strength to strength slowly, also it would be great to see Nottingham brought back into the professional ranks.

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,601 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

I can't honestly see cronulla moving outside of Australia or any other club for that matter, more likely to see them relocate to either the central coast, Perth or adelaide. As for teams like Coventry and Medway they are moving in the right direction going from strength to strength slowly, also it would be great to see Nottingham brought back into the professional ranks.

What you are promoting for Coventry and Medway is known as "bottom up' expansion. This is heresy. You could be reported, put on ignore and generally shunned for espousing such radical views.

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,770 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

In 10 years' time, forum members will be saying things like "I fear for the future of the game" and "the RFL are useless and corrupt", regardless of what actually happens.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

In 10 years' time, forum members will be saying things like "I fear for the future of the game" and "the RFL are useless and corrupt", regardless of what actually happens.

And the British sports media will be claiming that RL is on its lastlegs and dying a slow death.

#10 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

2000-2009 England (or GB) home tests against NZ or Australia = 26

2010-2019 England home tests against NZ or Australia = 11 (est)

Working on a home 4N in 2016 and 2018 and England (ambitiously) reaching the final of both. In 2017 WC in Aus/NZ, 2019 4N Down under.

Shameful! At this rate it will not be that hot in 10 years time.

Edited by Scubby, 15 June 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#11 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

SKY will get bored with an atrophied SL and dump them causing the game in Europe to turn part time. The game in the SH will continue to be strong.

#12 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Walter, Tony Blair will be head of the RLIF and based in Dubai where he tries to employ you as his 2IC; will you take up the offer? ;)

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#13 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 857 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

Wow! Such a positive thread!

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

SKY will get bored with an atrophied SL and dump them causing the game in Europe to turn part time. The game in the SH will continue to be strong.

Yes, as evidenced by the huge increase in TV money recently...
Posted Image

#15 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

The NRL will still be saying they need to consolidate, despite having billions from TV and sponsorship deals and the same Sydney clubs struggling along. There will be no new clubs.

SL will probably bring in another new format as the usual squabbles will unsettle things.
Hopefully France has an extra SL team (or 2).

USA will finally grow now that the AMNRL has crumbled. Working with Canada and Jamaica to create good competition will bring another international competitor into mix for the B tier.
Posted Image

#16 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

NRL to go from strength to strength, benefiting PNG, NZ and Fiji directly, and I am guessing Tonga, Samoa, Cooks etc indirectly. We will have had another 2 great World Cups, and have sorted out a 4 year cycle that gives enough games for NH countries. Wales will be as it is today, but we will have realised that Ireland, Scotland and Italy are never going to support more than amateur leagues (no disgrace in that, of course).
We will have enough NRLers to beat the Aussies occasionally, which in turn will give the game a boost in the 2025 World Cup (with Bateman lifting the trophy).
SL will have a vibrant Toulouse (seeing Les Cats yesterday reinforced what a wonderful force for good they have been - what players, what élan, what a crowd!) and have a stronger 12 team SL1 and a much stronger (relative to the NLs) SL2, with wonderful clubs lie Fev, Leigh, (new) London and Gateshead under their new ownership et al playing semi to full pro sides. The inexorable national spread of TGG will see the level below filled with wonderful new heartland clubs like Hemel.
There will be infighting, we will be ignored and patronised by the press. We will feel as if we are on the brink of extinction, but then forget about it as we see the balletic brilliance of our players playing our game.

#17 Auntie Linzi Morris

Auntie Linzi Morris
  • Coach
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

It will be twelve men a side.

#18 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

And you forgot they'll still be bashing Marwan Koukash for being ....... well, just make up an excuse now or in the future!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." 

Edited by Oxford, 15 June 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#19 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

I have predicited for some time now that sooner or later Super League will be a part time competition played out along the M62 corridor without any appeal out of that area.

Sky will have dumped us by then as a competition played in that part of the country with a shrinking population as people move away for work will have no appeal for the rest of the country, and I'm 100% serious.

#20 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:33 PM

Jamie peacock announces he has one more season in him

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .