Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

10 years from now

How the game will look

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 alananne

alananne
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

I can see four or five sides joining union and the rest going part time

Would any RL club be welcome in RU at a decent level unless it was by merger of RL/RU? And are there any that would be obvious matches?

#62 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Playing RL where people want to watch it not where top brass want to impose it.

What on earth does this mean? How would there ever be any new teams (including 1895)..ever.

Ludicrous

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#63 alananne

alananne
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

What on earth does this mean? How would there ever be any new teams (including 1895)..ever.

Ludicrous

Playing RL where people want to watch it meant not discouraging clubs with a traditional and ongoing support with a system that restricts progress in favour of clubs in areas where top brass want to impose it.  This last bit was just me remembering Gateshead Thunder MK1, Paris and Crusaders as well as the comment made by Walter when he started this thread about the Broncos et al.

On that basis I would have to agree there would be no new clubs but I would argue that they should not come into existence in a professional game unless the costs of running such an enterprise was covered by sponsors, gate receipts and commercial activities. None of the teams of 1895 started out as professional did they?

#64 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

Playing RL where people want to watch it meant not discouraging clubs with a traditional and ongoing support with a system that restricts progress in favour of clubs in areas where top brass want to impose it. This last bit was just me remembering Gateshead Thunder MK1, Paris and Crusaders as well as the comment made by Walter when he started this thread about the Broncos et al.

On that basis I would have to agree there would be no new clubs but I would argue that they should not come into existence in a professional game unless the costs of running such an enterprise was covered by sponsors, gate receipts and commercial activities.

If that's the qualification for entry we wouldn't have a pro game.

#65 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:26 PM

Bradford finally get 6 points back.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#66 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,138 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

Playing RL where people want to watch it meant not discouraging clubs with a traditional and ongoing support with a system that restricts progress in favour of clubs in areas where top brass want to impose it.

Oddly when London, Paris, Crusaders and Gateshead came along into SL we saw some very big crowds.

10,000 type crowds at the openings of some of those and in 1999 Gateshead were the 11th. best supported British Rugby League club achieved in one year..

So people wanted to watch them - shame the money ran out.

So good riddance, only problem you have is some of the most traditional clubs have years and years under their belts of very few people wanting to watch them, try Hunslet, Bramley, Swinton, Rochdale, Donny, York etc.

Les Catalans of course should be removed as they aren't even a proper club, they are one of these merger type thingy's.

#67 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,366 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

I can see four or five sides joining union and the rest going part time

Reports of Frank Keating's death are obviously false... ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#68 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Any chance that merit would be given a chance?
A pyramid [like the round ball game] where the worst team in each league is relegated and the best promoted.
Top of Super League being champions.
No parachuting new teams into higher leagues.
No protecting lame ducks.

Of course not. Just tinkering and more tinkering.

The system you talk about is a ladder system, not a pyramid system (it becomes a pyramid in the semi-pro levels).

How would you expand the game, for example, into Europe? How can clubs like Toulouse reach the European Super League?
Posted Image

#69 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:11 AM

Playing RL where people want to watch it meant not discouraging clubs with a traditional and ongoing support with a system that restricts progress in favour of clubs in areas where top brass want to impose it.  This last bit was just me remembering Gateshead Thunder MK1, Paris and Crusaders as well as the comment made by Walter when he started this thread about the Broncos et al.

On that basis I would have to agree there would be no new clubs but I would argue that they should not come into existence in a professional game unless the costs of running such an enterprise was covered by sponsors, gate receipts and commercial activities. None of the teams of 1895 started out as professional did they?

And of course, we are living in 1895 and should think as such. :rolleyes:

I've said this on this board umpteen times but...you do know that one of the currently most richest soccerball teams in this country  (Chelsea)  were admitted to the football league without having played a game in anger? What a joke that was because this false approach never worked for association football did it?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#70 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

Any chance that merit would be given a chance?

A pyramid [like the round ball game] where the worst team in each league is relegated and the best promoted.

Top of Super League being champions.

No parachuting new teams into higher leagues.

No protecting lame ducks.

Of course not. Just tinkering and more tinkering.

I agree 100% with your final comment - "tinkering and more tinkering" - absolutely. There is a tendency in this game to chop and change every five minutes, barely allowing things to settle in. I'm surprised Magic Weekend has lasted so long, but disagree with the tone of the rest.

Merit always needs to be given a chance, but not at all costs. I was, and - dare I say it - still am, a big advocate of licensing. I think the concept of it was right. It could have been implemented better and was discredited after Crusaders withdrew from the process, but the general idea of it was necessary - and in my opinion, still is. The governance of many clubs at all levels in the game is poor, not least in the Championships who have arguably been underfunded and neglected - but equally so, appallingly run in many cases.

The new structure, in my opinion, will encourage clubs to overspend with the ambition of win or nothing. There is little incentive for clubs to invest in community activity, youth teams and business development. Licensing, for all of it's faults, was a pretty thorough process - it was far from the myth of a box ticking exercise, and a decent license application would need many months of planning and compilation, supported by solid evidence. Clubs need to be more businesslike in many cases. Some need to move into the 20th century, never mind the 21st. Licensing was a process to help clubs achieve that. The reason that I think that it will come back in the future is because there will need to be some sort of process to ensure that clubs are well run, especially if we have several years of clubs overspending and a return to yo-yo teams. There needs to be investment in club governance to encourage - indeed, force them to be - well run and standards driven.

It's interesting that football operates a very similar licensing system to SL for the Womens Super League, where a mix of on and off field standards are measured to ensure that clubs have the ability to operate at that level. Likewise, the Football League was for the majority of it's history, a membership based league where new teams were elected by application. The experience of soccer teams like Barrow AFC and Workington, and conversely the original Wimbledon show that it was never wholly a performance-based process. Even today there are off-field standards in place across the Football League and teams that do not meet them are not guaranteed automatic promotion.

For the majority of rugby leagues history in this country, the champions of the equivalent of Super League have been decided by a play-off. This isn't a modern invention. It goes back to 1897.End of season play-offs are a part of rugby league culture.

Of course rugby league should be played where people want to watch - there is no point sticking a pin in a map and saying let's have a team in x location. If there is a case for letting a team enter the professional leagues from a new location then they should be allowed the opportunity. That said, I think your comment about "where people want to watch it" relates to a narrow strip of land in the M62 corridor and the Cumbrian coast, and isn't representative of where people want to watch - and as importantly, play it - it at all.

Edited by Jonty, 29 June 2014 - 08:03 AM.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users