Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kel Coslett

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

book-kelcoslett-400x242.jpg

Just like to say how pleased I was to hear one of the best coaches Hornets ever had, has been awarded the British Empire Medal in the Queens birthday honours. For services to Rugby League.
Along with Frank Myler, we had some great teams at the Athletic grounds.

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#2 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

A great player and coach,Very well deserved. 

#3 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, happy days at the Athletic Grounds. A great player and coach.

#4 Hornets Nest

Hornets Nest
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

Wonderful Player Coach and Gentleman, used to go down and watch training when he was the coach every Tuesday and Thursday and Oulder Hill School. Attracted players like Jeff Heaton to come with him. The only downside is why oh why on Friday Night 3rd November 1978 at Wheldon Road did he let Paul Woods take the kick at goal (easy one) that missed in the last minute (lost 15-14). Coslett’s goal kicking was top draw.

#5 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

Wonderful Player Coach and Gentleman, used to go down and watch training when he was the coach every Tuesday and Thursday and Oulder Hill School. Attracted players like Jeff Heaton to come with him. The only downside is why oh why on Friday Night 3rd November 1978 at Wheldon Road did he let Paul Woods take the kick at goal (easy one) that missed in the last minute (lost 15-14). Coslett’s goal kicking was top draw.

I wasn't at the game but I can only assume Kel was injured. There haven't been many players over the years I'd like to see kick for goal before Kel Coslett.

My favourite memory of Kel is from a Challenge Cup game at Widnes. Hornets were attacking on the right hand side on the last tackle. Kevin Ashcroft launched a bomb but miss kicked it over to the Widnes right wing. It went right down the throat of that well known flyer Stuart Wright ! He set off like a rocket down field, I thought " ###### , that's us six points down ". Then as though from out of a hole in the ground Kel appeared from nowhere and downed Wright in full flight with a perfect tackle.

Thanks for the memories Kel.

#6 Hornets Nest

Hornets Nest
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

I think Coslett had a soft spot for Paul Woods attempting to keep him on the straight and narrow. The Widnes cup game mentioned was another narrow defeat Paul Longstaff had a nightmare against Stuart Wright.

I recall talking to Coslett when Hornets visited Knowlsley Road in the cup a couple of years back and the 11-10 defeat to Saints at the Athletic Grounds was still on his mind and the way we were robbed out of a quarter final spot, Warren Ayres adjudged to have stolen the ball from Geoff Pimblett Saints kicking the penalty to win the game at the death.

#7 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

Kevin Allot was the ref It was a blunder and a costly one for us.There had been a rule change to allow one on one.Took a bit of getting over that.

#8 Larry Jones

Larry Jones
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

Well deserved for a great man.  It is especially good to see the regard he is still thought of by Hornets fans.  In the Myler/Coslett era if Hornets would have secured one cup they may have gone on to secure a few more.

#9 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

Well deserved for a great man.  It is especially good to see the regard he is still thought of by Hornets fans.  In the Myler/Coslett era if Hornets would have secured one cup they may have gone on to secure a few more.

Yeah, golden days for Hornets fans. We could and did beat anybody on our day. I remember that incident in the Hornets/ Saints cup tie. I think the referee looked away at just the wrong time. When he looked back he thought the ball had been stolen when the Saints player ( I thought it was Jeff Heaton before he played for us ) had actually dropped the ball. We wuz robbed ! Again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users