ref

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

Again, I had a pretty decent view of the 'held up', and he grounded the ball twice..

I've just watched it on DVD and it appears to me that Matty Dale's hand was underneath the ball preventing Kesik from grounding it.

#22 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

Has anything changed regarding the interpretation of the law surrounding knock-on's?
Years ago the ball had to be dropped or fumbled forward for a knock-on to be given, but in recent years this has changed and referees will blow even if the ball goes slightly backwards.....Not so today! There were numerous occasions where the ball was fumbled, although maybe not forward but pretty near to it, but play on was waved. I don't have a problem with this, as long as it is consistent with all officials and not just because Mr Cobb has decided to buck a trend.

#23 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

Has anything changed regarding the interpretation of the law surrounding knock-on's?Years ago the ball had to be dropped or fumbled forward for a knock-on to be given, but in recent years this has changed and referees will blow even if the ball goes slightly backwards.....Not so today! There were numerous occasions where the ball was fumbled, although maybe not forward but pretty near to it, but play on was waved. I don't have a problem with this, as long as it is consistent with all officials and not just because Mr Cobb has decided to buck a trend.

Steve, I think the knock on in 'live play' is as David Byrne once said ' Same as it ever was'. But As I understand it in contact or at the PLB the knock on is more of a loose carry, and is given irrespective of which direction the ball escapes.

#24 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:09 AM

Who was the ref fellas ?

#25 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:23 AM

I've just watched it on DVD and it appears to me that Matty Dale's hand was underneath the ball preventing Kesik from grounding it.

I thought he grounded it eventually but after the tackle was completed. I also thought there was a clear knock on near to the main stand touch line in the build up to the last try but could maybe be wrong on both counts. Cobb is a bad bad referee and in that first half our team's performance matched his unfortunately.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#26 old big red

old big red
  • Facebook
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

In my eyes the ref should be sent on a refresher course he should be called donny the cobb
but are players need to get a grip come on you fev

#27 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

I've slated the ref for the performance, but in reality Im doing what comes natural and that is looking for someone to blame for our poor performance. Yes I thought the ref had a poor game but Fev had a poorer one. Simply not good enough. It's horrible watching your team go from Superstars to dogpile in space of 6 months. Hurtful.

Edited by ROVERS FOREVER, 16 June 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#28 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 422 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

We have only had Joe Cobb once at the Cru, as we won 42-16,We thought he had a fine game.It all depends on the result.

#29 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

I've slated the ref for the performance, but in reality Im doing what comes natural and that is looking for someone to blame for our poor performance. Yes I thought the ref had a poor game but Fev had a poorer one. Simply not good enough. It's horrible watching your team go from Superstars to dogpile in space of 6 months. Hurtful.

I genuinely think this team will do the business once they get to know each other and settle as an organised team. There's a lot of outstanding individuals in there and it's up to Andy Hay to mould them into a tight unit that's difficult to beat.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 16 June 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#30 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

Terry, just when is the team going to "settle and be organised".. We are now halfway through the season, we are taking players on short term loan and some of out solid performers appear to have vanished into the ether. They are not even present on the bench and those that do appear are not utilized.

We cannot keep making such wholesale changes and expect blistering performances. How long does it take to "settle" player in?. They have played the game many years. It isnt as if they are complete newcomers. Time is of the essence and it is slowly running away from us.

#31 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Having seen the video of the last try scored by Donny it seems that the ref got his decision spot on regarding the knock on; However it does not change my opinion of his overall refereeing display; Supporters see what they want to see with isolated decisions and I for one called that incorrect; But I DO HOPE we don't see him again this season;

#32 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

I genuinely think this team will do the business once they get to know each other and settle as an organised team. There's a lot of outstanding individuals in there and it's up to Andy Hay to mould them into a tight unit that's difficult to beat.

Do you think we will sign Sammut? He is to my mind an outstanding player. What we don't want is a Salford situation where there is a set of individuals slowly settling into a team. Have we time for that.

#33 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

You must finish top two, with the team and coach you had that would have happened, so why won't it now
We would have to lose half our remaining games to possibly not finish top two, you need to beat Fax as I am confident Doncaster will drop off

#34 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

You must finish top two, with the team and coach you had that would have happened, so why won't it now
We would have to lose half our remaining games to possibly not finish top two, you need to beat Fax as I am confident Doncaster will drop off

We need to beat W(igan)orkinton first.

#35 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

Having seen the video of the last try scored by Donny it seems that the ref got his decision spot on regarding the knock on; However it does not change my opinion of his overall refereeing display; Supporters see what they want to see with isolated decisions and I for one called that incorrect; But I DO HOPE we don't see him again this season;

Disagree with you Phil, the Donny hooker loses the ball on impact while going in a forward direction. It does come backwards but after he spilled it in the collision. Dead set knock on

#36 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

Terry, just when is the team going to "settle and be organised".. We are now halfway through the season, we are taking players on short term loan and some of out solid performers appear to have vanished into the ether. They are not even present on the bench and those that do appear are not utilized.
We cannot keep making such wholesale changes and expect blistering performances. How long does it take to "settle" player in?. They have played the game many years. It isnt as if they are complete newcomers. Time is of the essence and it is slowly running away from us.

New coach with new ideas and bringing in the new players he wants isn't ideal at this stage, far from it. We have to win enough games to hopefully finish second and in a few weeks time I'm confident we'll be more than ready for the play offs.

#37 robt

robt
  • Coach
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:47 AM

Disagree with you Phil, the Donny hooker loses the ball on impact while going in a forward direction. It does come backwards but after he spilled it in the collision. Dead set knock on

I'll disagree with you here, it looks to me as when he gets his arm loose, he drops/rolls the ball backwards, the ref is looking straight at it too..

Rob Terrace - Matchday Photographer / Highlights 'editor', Doncaster RLFC.

#38 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,977 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

Thats how I and the majority of others see it rob.
The ref has one call... most of us wwre absolutely convinced he got it wrong but now the majority who've seen the vid are as convinced that he got it correct.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#39 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Aye but thats the problem, we aint letting them settle! Keeps rotating players and signing news ones every week. It's bloody daft.

#40 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

Was the try scorer onside of the kick?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users