Kear to Odsal?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

Read in tonight's Telegraph & Argus that JK is in the frame for the new Bradford Bulls' coach. Frannie to the Mount in a reverse deal?

#2 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

Of course hes an ideal candidate but will it intetest him and sit with his other commitments

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#3 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

According to the T&A, other candidates include Glen Morrison, James Lowes, & journeyman Brian Noble, fresh from his Salford failure. To me, it looks a no brainer for JK if terms suit, as you rightly mention 9 O'ller, his media commitments.

#4 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

According to the T&A, other candidates include Glen Morrison, James Lowes, & journeyman Brian Noble, fresh from his Salford failure. To me, it looks a no brainer for JK if terms suit, as you rightly mention 9 O'ller, his media commitments.

Just out of interest, why is it a no brainer? Why are they any more likely to take JK than Noble, Lowes or Morrison? 

#5 phildog

phildog
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

Out of that lot I reckon they'd go for Lowes. Noble had his go already, Kear is too busy other ways, Morrison has only a season and a half track record and hasn't proved anything yet. Lowes has had a good season at Carnegie, has good experience in Super League as a no.2, and made it quite clear in his radio interviews at the ned of the RU season that he wasn't happy the way his season there had turned out. Hope Kear's name is only thrown in for devilment though, we're just on the turn in my opinion and I'm sure he'd like to continue with us just to prove detractors wrong when we have a good position for the play-offs. If however he does go, i hope KN and chaps will cast the net wide to get us another top man.

#6 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

Just out of interest, why is it a no brainer? Why are they any more likely to take JK than Noble, Lowes or Morrison? 

and why is it a no brainer that JK would want to go

#7 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

JK kept Wakefield in Super League whilst all around him was failing financially, with a minimum budget. He has since proven himself at the Mount on a tight budget, with a Grand Final under his belt. James Lowes has been a number 2, without that experience in the hot seat of a relegation survival campaign. From the Bulls' perspective, a safe pair of hands required, with a half chance of SL survival still on the cards.JK fits the bill perfectly.

Personally I think we should move heaven & earth to keep him at the Mount, but we have to be realistic.

#8 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

get real...put yourself in his shoes.
next season bradford get a parachute payment of £750k and will have the biggest playing budget in the league. they will be full time and will still have the biggest crowds etc.
he certainly won't have the restrictions he has had this season with player recruitment etc, which will probably the same for batley next season. the bloke still has ambition and a challenge and bradford would be favourites to bounce back i would guess. I would also bet my life that the pay would also be significantly more than he gets now.
people keep going on about his 'media commitments' ?? what the odd thursday night on sky ? firstly they get about £500 an appearance and secondly is he going to turn the bulls job down for that ? get a grip. If he gets offered the job he will take it without question

#9 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:20 PM

well i hope jk stays to finish this season or were well stuffed.cant hold the fella back as he as said a few times hes plenty to prove in sl yet and as shown what he can do with peanuts.if he gets the job i will be first to wish him well and thank him for getting us playing some real great rugby last season and were looking to just be getting back on track this last few games too with players who dident think they were as good as they are now,

i cant understand why carl harrison aint been mentioned as yet as he could really get them playing with a lot a biff again and be a team to fear both home and away.  my moneys on nobby all day long and lets face it they can only go one way choose who gets the job the new coach as a chance to really make a name for themselves.

could we afford jimmy lowes if jk goes... :download: :ph34r:

#10 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:20 PM

next season bradford get a parachute payment of £750k and will have the biggest playing budget in the league. they will be full time and will still have the biggest crowds etc.
he certainly won't have the restrictions he has had this season with player recruitment etc, which will probably the same for batley next season. the bloke still has ambition and a challenge and bradford would be favourites to bounce back i would guess. I would also bet my life that the pay would also be significantly more than he gets now.
people keep going on about his 'media commitments' ?? what the odd thursday night on sky ? firstly they get about £500 an appearance and secondly is he going to turn the bulls job down for that ? get a grip. If he gets offered the job he will take it without question

Hi Deano, judging by the nature of this post you seem like a very angry man. I suggest that you take a chill pill. It might help you to 'get real', or maybe to even 'get a grip'.

Posted Image

#11 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 694 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:22 AM

I would have thought if JK wanted to be in SL right now he would have gone for the cas job last season but he didn't so I can't see him wanting the Bulls? Plus his family are happy with the arrangement at batley.

If he does go however. We need another top coach to keep us in this division.

#12 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

I think our recent experience shows that a good respected coach makes a huge difference and is worth pushing the boat out for if we do need to replace JK. I don't think he needs the stress of running the bulls for the next few years and will relish the challenge of getting Batley into SL2

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#13 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

Hi Deano, judging by the nature of this post you seem like a very angry man. I suggest that you take a chill pill. It might help you to 'get real', or maybe to even 'get a grip'.

Angry ?? why angry ? Just stating facts which clearly by your pointless post you cant see. i mean..why would JK ever want to leave batley for a bigger and better opportunity ??? lol
also for the poster stating "if he wanted to leave then why didnt he apply for the cas job" He did apply and didnt get it !!

Edited by Deano44, 18 June 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#14 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

I also believe that JKs previous working relationship with Steve Ferres (Wakefield) the recently appointed CEO at Bulls, is a significant factor. Hope I'm proved wrong

#15 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

I response to Silverback, I think Carl Harrison has all on to retain his spot at Fax, many disgruntled supporters at the Shay, but certainly a candidate to inject some biff & bash at the Bulls for one or two seasons

#16 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

It's a toss up between Noble and Kear according to the Bulls RLFans forum.

I've been critical of JK's coaching methods and the one man rugby he likes to employ, but have to say he's working wonders with what he has at the minute and with better recruitment we could and should be doing a lot better.

I'd like to see him stay, and be given a decent budget to work with next season, although thats highly unlikely, we should be on a par with most clubs in the league bar the top 3 or 4 in terms of offering contracts to players.

If he goes to the Bulls - who do we bring in? Suppose the higher profile the coach, the more we have to pay him and the less therefore is available for players. Its a tricky situation should he go.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#17 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

Jimmy Lowes is the current favourite. He won't put up with sulking players and might revitalise things a bit, but they are beyond saving IMHO.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#18 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 949 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

also for the poster stating "if he wanted to leave then why didnt he apply for the cas job" He did apply and didnt get it !!

Oh really, I presume you have proof that he did, I would be very careful in your comments, don't believe everything you read in the papers Deano.Cos it aint always right.!!!!

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#19 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

oh wait a minute...JK born in Cas, his former club, his name banded about at the time...nah why would he apply? I must be wrong lol why would he want to coach his home town club in SL ? lol

#20 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

The reason John Kear took the Batley job was because he wanted to work part-time. In regards to John Kear's media commitments you are posting without knowing the facts of his contract with Sky. You have no idea if John Kear would or would not take the Bradford job the only person who knows is John Kear himself. I am guessing that the journalist of the T&A is being lazy and knows the same as you and I.

John Kear never applied for the Castleford job. He was linked with the job and would have probably have taken it with it being his hometown club.Powell was Castleford's number 1 target so Kear was never in the frame. 

If I was the Bradford Chairman I would be looking at a younger coach maybe Paul Cooke or Mark Aston. 

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users