Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Today's MEN website

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

Little bit at the bottom of a Salford story regarding the proposed stadium. Fingers crossed.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#2 mike the lion

mike the lion
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Below is the quote on the MEN website:-

Koukash says he will be ‘horrified’ if plans for a new community stadium for Swinton Lions in the centre of the town are turned down by.

Koukash and his team will be ready in the next few days to provide council bosses with their plans.

He said: “This is very much a stadium with a bit of everything right in the middle of the community.

“It can be used all year round and not just for say 14 games in a season. The location is ideal and it includes space for restaurants, shops and a hotel. I will be horrified, disappointed and very surprised if it is not approved.”

Its encouraging to see this but I would have thought plans would have already been submitted by now.

#3 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

Think they have till the end of this month with the exclusivity agreement to submit their proposals.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#4 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

The plans were due to be submitted by 30 June 2014.

Generally people do not get provided with say a 3 month "window" if the information can be provided in a much shorter timescale and therefore I would expect that any plans would use the full time available to consider. I would also suggest this adds weight to the fact that this is a serious proposal.

Fingers crossed.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#5 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

This is not a formal planning application just amended plans that presumably Koukash wants council approval before he seeks to takeover the club.

#6 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

Up untill leaving for holiday my understanding regarding this matter was the same, he has yet to advise Swinton.

#7 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

Daft question but is he legally obliged to give the club any notice before a takeover approach is made? Or can he just ring up one day with an offer?

Edmund Burke

#8 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

I assume he thinks that any proposed takeover would be a foregone conclusion

#9 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

The 3 month exclusivity arrangement ends on 30 June, by which time we understand that MK will have submitted his proposals. That's not to say the council will give a verdict straight away. Chances are there could still be further discussion beyond that date re the finer detail before there is a final yes or no. My advice would be to not read too much into it if there is nothing concrete announced in July (or indeed August when council tends to be in recess).

#10 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

And to re-iterate Marshy's point, the club has received no approach whatsoever regarding a take-over. Furthermore we don't expect any approach whatsoever unless the stadium deal comes through, and even then we have had no proposals or assurances one way or the other. I am simply putting facts on the table here in order to be transparent with our fans.

#11 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

No disrespect to the current board but if I built a stadium in Swinton and we are strapped for cash I would think it would be a foregone conclusion too!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#12 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

With respect Loyallion he can build a Stadium and that would be fantastic because then we can start to talk about a tenancy for said stadium.

#13 mike the lion

mike the lion
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

Two questions spring to mind if Koukash takes over-

1.Will the current board of directors be disbanded
2.Will it mean the Trust is defunct

#14 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

Marshall and Wild out out out !!!

#15 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

Haha Cheers Mark !

#16 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

Mark

I am saying nothing as usual !!  :-)

#17 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

Mark

I am saying nothing as usual !! :-)

Riggy for chairman!

#18 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

Ha gladly then my normal working week will resume.

#19 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:00 AM

It's keeping you young Alan
You'll miss fun Fridays if you pack it in

#20 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 580 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

Regarding the Trust becoming defunct......I would actually say the role of the Trust becomes even more important in the case of the Club being run by a single entity.

The Trust stepped in at the end of last year to help our wonderful club survive (again!) and has in some respects got closer to the day-to-day running of the club than it should need to.

This is also a good thing in that the Trust have been able to influence many decisions being taken by the Club by us once again being recognised as shareholders and having elected two of our committee members on to the Club Board.

Going forward the Trust have to plan for working alongside a new ownership of the club (should that emerge) and/or be prepared for the next crisis!!!

Owners can come and go, but the Club (and the Trust) need to continue through thick and thin.