Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Should International Rugby League dump the NRL?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

Having a whole sport defined by an Aussie centric mafia that is the NRL is a recipe for stagnation. If things stand we will be watching the next RLWC played again by the same  NRL players. Can anyone Imagine an International game without them ? I can . I just watched USA beat Canada in a R.U game in front of a large crowd with native players. It was great.  Its time to dump them.

#2 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

I watched origin 1 and 2 this year. I have never seen a RU game, ever, that had that kind of intensity.

#3 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

You should watch more R.U. Origin is Intense. No argument. Don't you think Australia v Great Britain should be an even better RL experience?

#4 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:46 AM

You should watch more R.U. Origin is Intense. No argument. Don't you think Australia v Great Britain should be an even better RL experience?

Would rather watch paint dry than watch Union. RU Offers very liitle entertainment and experience for many

#5 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,833 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

The NRL is the highest profile example of our code. It is generally better organised and financed than elsewhere.Many if the world's best players play in the comp, including Brits, Kiwis, Samoans etc. To have a world tournament without the aussies or NRL players would be ridiculous.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#6 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

The International calendar is organised around a domestic comp in Australia. If that is allowed to continue then League will never grow. In my opinion League should have outgrown Union by now . Its an easier game to understand and more dynamic/ viewer friendly. Run by fools and charlatans though.

#7 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:07 PM

The International Calender is more than just NZ, Australia and England. Russia have just beaten Serbia. Malta play Greece in a week or so as do Norway and Denmark. Canada hosted the British Royal Air Force before a crowd of over 4500 at the weekend

#8 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:07 AM

I agree that the Aussies have too much say in Rugby League and have said it for years,but they only get away with it because the others (England,NZ,France) let them. Having said that,Australian League is so superior to the rest,it`s embarrassing. Rugby yawnion will always have more followers than league because it has influential money people behind it and is more widespread in the country of it`s birth,the UK. In NZ kids could only play one game (rugby) in schools when I arrived in the early 70s,though that has certainly changed in recent years,soccer being played by more kids than rugby now.However it`s only in the main centres that league is played at school,the game deliberately ostracised by rugby playing sports teachers. Thankfully Australia is the opposite with league the number one sport in NSW and Queensland,though unlike NZ,all sport is more than encouraged,no matter what the preference is. Don`t think they play much sport at school in the UK now,do they? Think schools are too scared of being sued if little Johnny hurts himself,so no wonder kids these days are obese,but I guess that`s a different story altogether.

#9 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

I challenge the IRLF to do what their job description is. To promote the game Internationally. From the profits of RLWC 2013 they now have a building . Bricks and mortar. A start anyway. I doubt the paymasters of the NRL give them any real say though. Next RLWC will be even more "heritage" G day mate Im from Italy/USA/ Whatever colour flag you like.

#10 R L Winger

R L Winger
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

England invented Rugby League ...New South Wales and Queensland showed England how to play the game....Australia not taking part in International Rugby League jes are you dropping the brown acid dude?

Posted Image

#11 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

Its time to remove Australia from International competitions. Ban any player who plays there from representing any other country. Then NSW and Qnsld can be left to play amongst themselves and let us grow the game without their stifling influence.

#12 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:15 AM

Err,don`t think you understand what we`re trying to say mate. Without Australia there is no international competition and banning anybody just because they play in a certain country that you don`t like isn`t even worth taking into consideration. Think it has to do with freedom of choice.

#13 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

No, without Australia, International competition has a chance to grow beyond the Insular demands of the NRL. SOO is brilliant but nothing will change so long as may see it as the Ultimate .
Perhaps in the next RLWC whole teams in the NRL could just swap directly to a Country of convenience. Travel costs would evaporate and blow outs would be avoided.

#14 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

Forgot to add I think Australia is great. I lived there and loved it. Back here in The Mother Country now but believe the NRL are retards when it comes to growing International league.

#15 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Its not the NRLs job to grow the game Internationally. The NRL is a Pro Comp run by the ARLC who organize the game in Australia. The job of developing and pushing the International game and in control of the laws and regulations regarding such things as eligibility is that of the RLIF. The Chairman of the RLIF is SL Chairman Nigel Wood. Its his job to do something with the International game and put pressure on Australia to change its thinking. So far since his appointment little has happened. Until you get an RLIF that is both independant and actually has power and does something this situation in my opinion wont change. There are/have been people in the RFL that dont car about the International game and are willing in extreme cases to damage it to protect or get more money/help for ther area/department. Its not just the NRL/ARLC and Australia that are at faulöt neither but the Europeans. 

#16 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

The Australians are cashed up for now with their TV deal. They then drive the show. The ESL are 1 Sky bad deal  away from bankruptcy. London Broncos are about to vanish. Is Nigel Wood on a winner or a looser?

#17 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

If you want to make a statement V the NRL for the interest of international footy ( I include the Roos in this ) dumping the NRL would only be a gesture.....the first shot in the war.....you need to go much bigger and you need finacial clout behind you like any war to fund the campaig.

Otherwise forget about it,

If the English and New Zealand were finacial the solution is obvious.

Exercise your authority as soverign nations to take your NRL players and pull them from the competition at Origin time and play a three test series in the Southern hemisphere  to rival the state of Origin.

Don't invite Australia.

Make that move without consulting them.

Get players co-operation by offering twice the  going rate for players to play Origin ( ergo the reason I say don't cut the NRL out till the UK and NZ  have the money to compete ).

If the Kiwis and Gt Britain / England went independent and offered their NRL players monster sums to ignore the NRL clubs bull ' pretend you are injured for the tests' then eventually the ARL would realise :

A ) we don't need you

B) NZders want to play internationals because the money is better than Origin

C )  The Anglo NZ tests are a threat to the ARL = a big pie they actually want a slice in $$$

In other words you need to set up an enviroment where Australia actually care about being left out.

Edited by mt smart, 01 July 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#18 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

The game is moribund if the status quo continues. It appears Australia are happy to win a tournament, the RLWC , that no one else in the world is likely to care about in the foreseeable future.

#19 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

The game is moribund if the status quo continues. It appears Australia are happy to win a tournament, the RLWC , that no one else in the world is likely to care about in the foreseeable future.

But the attendances for the World Cup were good...

And there were some great games..

#20 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

Agreed . Having Cardiff for the opener was daft though. Kiwis stole our game but he ho , a great game. We got to find a way to stop the NRL controlling International League. Maybe a way forward would be if NSW and the banana state provided all the players for their own version of a "World Cup". The rest of us could then get on with planning an actual RLWC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users