Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England Tour of NZ

Nobody really knows

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

I think this tour was that Low key to be invisible.

I do have one mate who loves Union, and even he struggled to tell me when the Tests where.

[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#2 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,356 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

Seemed to feature high on 5live, and the press.  Overshadowed by the world cup like every other sport.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#3 Yosser

Yosser
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Had England won the first or second Test the Media would have been all over it like rash. 

Building the final Test into an alternative 'route to glory for England sports fans' 

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

Hmm, maybe if they'd been playing the (eminently beatable) Wallabies, more of a fuss would have been made in the build-up. As it is, they actually came damn close in the first two tests against the ABs. Maybe that wasn't expected? I think coverage would have exploded if they had actually won one of those first two matches.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

I watched Saturday's game and it was a tactical masterclass in the first half by NZ.  They'd obviously studied England's defensive tactics of centres coming in to cover the fly half then drift out as needed, NZ committed the fly half, this dragged in a centre who pulled over the other centre then NZ just picked the hole between outside centre and wing with ease, they could have scored far more tries if they'd just stuck to the coaching plan.  The two wingers England played had no hope all day of stopping this, they could have been the best defenders in the world and they'd still have been picked apart by the 2:1 and 3:1 overlaps against them.  The second half saw the exact same gaps opening but NZ just seemed to be taunting England by running at them from everywhere, it really did seem as if they were bored with it all.

England were utterly useless in attack.  In the first half I did not see a single pass from fly-half to either centre, there were far too many times when forwards peeled off from rucks and got in the way effectively forcing the fly half to pass to them, they'd then run it straight back into contact again like a fly repeatedly battering against a closed window hoping that somehow they'll get through despite all the evidence of previous efforts.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#6 WelshpoolMarauder

WelshpoolMarauder
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:56 AM

Just out of interest, ckn, did you see any of the Wales game? Was wondering what you thought of Steve Walsh's performance, from an assessors perspective.

As gutted as I was with the result, I felt he did well, and made a lot of calls that other refs wouldn't have had the courage to make. Any other ref and Wales would've won, but it wouldn't have been the right result.

#7 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

I probably should n't comment on Union, - I have barely seen any of it for maybe a year.
[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#8 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

Just out of interest, ckn, did you see any of the Wales game? Was wondering what you thought of Steve Walsh's performance, from an assessors perspective.

As gutted as I was with the result, I felt he did well, and made a lot of calls that other refs wouldn't have had the courage to make. Any other ref and Wales would've won, but it wouldn't have been the right result.

I'm really not a fan of Steve Walsh but I agree with you, he was spot on with some difficult calls. His assessment of the penalty try incident was well handled although I felt he didn't need to explain his decision to the Welsh skipper as much as he did. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#9 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

I'm really not a fan of Steve Walsh but I agree with you, he was spot on with some difficult calls. His assessment of the penalty try incident was well handled although I felt he didn't need to explain his decision to the Welsh skipper as much as he did. 

Severus..I have watched that over and over again.Can't remember the exact words from the ref but it went something like "IF the illegal tackle had not been made would the try have been scored"....If you watch it again BEFORE the illegal contact with the shoulder is made the ball had been lost by the SA player,dislodged by the Welsh fullbacks hand or knee.

SO if the illegal tackle had NOT been made the try would NOT have been scored as the SA player had lost the ball a split second before the shoulder charge.

Look at the photo below and the tackle does not look that bad....

Penalty yes..maybe yellow card...penalty try NO.

Thoughts ???

Snapshot124-6-201415-11_zpsccdb0bb8.png?

Edited by yanto, 24 June 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#10 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

Knocking your opponents' ball out of his hand with your knee isn't exactly legal either.

#11 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

I didn't watch the Wales game, just ran out of time to watch everything I wanted to watch.

Steve Walsh is a bit of a strange one, he's very sensitive, get on the wrong side of him and you certainly know it.  He's also far more empathetic towards the players than almost any other referee in the IRB A-list, except for Nigel Owens of course, and just makes the game more positive through his quite excellent understanding of disruptive play in the tackle area.  Players know exactly how he's going to manage the tackle and you'll notice it's usually a lot cleaner than in other games with fewer cynical offences.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#12 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

Knocking your opponents' ball out of his hand with your knee isn't exactly legal either.

Exactly, leading into a tackle with knees or shoulder with no attempt to use the arms is illegal. I've seen Walsh make some odd decisions before but can't argue with this one.

28m391z.jpg

#13 WelshpoolMarauder

WelshpoolMarauder
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Whilst I doubt this is a popular sentiment on this side of Offa's Dyke right now. I actually feel really sorry for Liam Williams. All that anyone will remember is that challenge, but if it wasn't for him, Wales would've been behind at half time anyway.

17-14 to Wales, who have two in the bin and have conceded two quick tries. 4 minutes until half time, and South Africa are going to score again if they get the ball. He takes the restart and puts it straight into touch, meaning a scrum on half way. A bit of the usual scrum nonsense and the Welsh pack taking as much time as they can and there's the half time whistle, and only a short time until at least one man is back on. He saved Wales there, but he'll always be remembered for one challenge.

#14 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

Exactly, leading into a tackle with knees or shoulder with no attempt to use the arms is illegal. I've seen Walsh make some odd decisions before but can't argue with this one.

Look at the still I snatched from the video ..where is he leading with knees and shoulders.....to me it looks (from the angle of the picture) that he actually makes first contact with his chest.his hand is on the wingers shoulder and the ball has been lost.. NOT as bad as been talked about....looked bad first time but I have seen worse....that IMHO was a fully committed tackle that did not warrant a penalty try.George North should have made his tackle count any way but Williams is getting all the blame.

#15 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

But back to the England game...I posted on Facebook before KO that I feared for the back line getting ran ragged..and boy was I right...AB's set off on fire and targeted the English right wing from the start....could have had another two or three down that side before half time.

#16 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:18 AM

It was a brutal first half from NZ and it's something that, as a Wallaby fan, I see all the time. Rampant first halves from NZ are all too common.

Edited by Alfies Thumb, 25 June 2014 - 07:18 AM.