Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Nahaboo

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#241 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

All due respect Terry, but IMO that is rather an ambiguous statement. You state that we were brought back from oblivion to the verge of SL, but surely a perceptive person with nous should have approached the whole deal with caution, sought outside advice and not envisaged ideas above their station. I dare hazard a guess that many, many fans thought that attaining SL was not only one step too far logistically but also financially.

I am afraid that we were lulled by the glamour and promises of SL accompanied by terrible judgement.

Attendances of over 2000, a winning team, a set of lads playing not only attractive rugby but also playing for the club.  all to be wiped out in the space of a few months. This lot will take some sorting out. 

Edited by saddleworth, 11 July 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#242 knottla

knottla
  • Facebook
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

Saddleworth you make some valid points and as you say it will take some sorting out. I think we've seen worse scenarios than what we have here, one was missing out on S/L in 1995,it took the club and supporters about 12 years to stop all the woe is me and hand wringing,this is where we should learn from those past times and get back to re-branding the community aspect of the club so to speak, don't become shrinking violets ,we've  got to become assertive in everything we do but not in an arrogant way.Finally and this is the final piece which I think could take the longest to achieve, make the players aware of what representing the club means, and from the board don't treat players like pieces of meat, when we sign somebody make sure they fit the club and get away from signing all and sundry,and treat those players with respect and I'm sure we can start moving forwards.Rant over UTR.

#243 The Blues Ox

The Blues Ox
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

Eh???

Must have been drunk posting that but basically trying to say people are confusing themselves thinking the monies quoted are a cash prize for league positions.

#244 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Saddleworth you make some valid points and as you say it will take some sorting out. I think we've seen worse scenarios than what we have here, one was missing out on S/L in 1995,it took the club and supporters about 12 years to stop all the woe is me and hand wringing,this is where we should learn from those past times and get back to re-branding the community aspect of the club so to speak, don't become shrinking violets ,we've  got to become assertive in everything we do but not in an arrogant way.Finally and this is the final piece which I think could take the longest to achieve, make the players aware of what representing the club means, and from the board don't treat players like pieces of meat, when we sign somebody make sure they fit the club and get away from signing all and sundry,and treat those players with respect and I'm sure we can start moving forwards.Rant over UTR.

In reply,knottla, what amazes me is the fact that having a well established and thriving club, both on and off the field for the past few seasons, we now find ourselves with our backs to the wall, (again). I have followed and supported Fev for many, many years through financial disasters and terrible decision making. and I will admit that I am slowly loosing my appetite for being regularly knocked on my a***** for whatever reason. It is not fair upon the team and it is far from being fair to the many loyal supporters. I do not wring my hands in despair, but I do jump up and down with rage when once again we come near to pressing the old self destruct button.

#245 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

All due respect Terry, but IMO that is rather an ambiguous statement. You state that we were brought back from oblivion to the verge of SL, but surely a perceptive person with nous should have approached the whole deal with caution, sought outside advice and not envisaged ideas above their station. I dare hazard a guess that many, many fans thought that attaining SL was not only one step too far logistically but also financially.
I am afraid that we were lulled by the glamour and promises of SL accompanied by terrible judgement.
Attendances of over 2000, a winning team, a set of lads playing not only attractive rugby but also playing for the club. all to be wiped out in the space of a few months. This lot will take some sorting out.

I take on board the valid points you make Saddleworth but it was Mark who appointed DP in the first place and transformed the whole club operation into the most professional it's ever been in my opinion. Initially when Feisal came along the club continued to grow steadily under Mark's leadership and added investment from Nahaboo despite what the doubters may say.

It all started to go wrong when DP decided to move on, JB appointed and the divisive plot to oust the chairman put into operation which meant he had day to day control taken away from him. He was left between a rock and a hard place. Does he deprive the club of future potential huge investment or try to wrest control of the club back to maybe avoid future financial disaster? An unenvious position to be placed I'd suggest.

MC has already held held his hands up to the mistakes he's made recently but we're all human. I've every confidence he's the man to get us back on track however long it may take. It's difficult to watch Cas going so well when I think it so easily could and should have been us from 2016 with or without Feisal. £500k plus the £1.8m for reaching SL would be more than adequate to provide us with a good SL side under the right coach. Untold damage was done to the team after DP left, we already had a great side as you say which didn't need the crazy wholesale changes which were brought about. I don't think the DSL dream was ever unrealistic until the bull entered the china shop.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 12 July 2014 - 04:52 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#246 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,429 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

Wise words Terry.

A Fev Blog

#247 sandalrover

sandalrover
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

In a nutshell Terry
It's been said quite a few times on this forum already but here goes again -
We are where we are at, mistakes have been made & owned up to.
Time to start the healing process and look forward we can't keep picking over the carcass.

The outpouring of emotion shows the strength of feeling at our club - this will move us forward and we will recover, perhaps not at the speed wished. Bankrolling a club is great when there is a heart involved. The guy running the club now has featherstone running through his veins irrespective of any mistakes made. Faisal didn't, it was about him not about Rovers.. Many in Mark's position would have walked away - he stayed to fight on.
The noise off the field needs to stop and back the coach to make it click on the field. Players are affected by disruption no matter how much people bang on about " professionalism" etc.
I only started this post to echo Terry's comments and I've had a rant. Time for a drink.

#248 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

I take on board the valid points you make Saddleworth but it was Mark who appointed DP in the first place and transformed the whole club operation into the most professional it's ever been in my opinion. Initially when Feisal came along the club continued to grow steadily under Mark's leadership and added investment from Nahaboo despite what the doubters may say.
It all started to go wrong when DP decided to move on, JB appointed and the divisive plot to oust the chairman put into operation which meant he had day to day control taken away from him. He was left between a rock and a hard place. Does he deprive the club of future potential huge investment or try to wrest control of the club back to maybe avoid future financial disaster? An unenvious position to be placed I'd suggest.
MC has already held held his hands up to the mistakes he's made recently but we're all human. I've every confidence he's the man to get us back on track however long it may take. It's difficult to watch Cas going so well when I think it so easily could and should have been us from 2016 with or without Feisal. £500k plus the £1.8m for reaching SL would be more than adequate to provide us with a good SL side under the right coach. Untold damage was done to the team after DP left, we already had a great side as you say which didn't need the crazy wholesale changes which were brought about. I don't think the DSL dream was ever unrealistic until the bull entered the china shop.

A fabulous well written post. In my HO.

#249 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

In a nutshell Terry
It's been said quite a few times on this forum already but here goes again -
We are where we are at, mistakes have been made & owned up to.
Time to start the healing process and look forward we can't keep picking over the carcass.
The outpouring of emotion shows the strength of feeling at our club - this will move us forward and we will recover, perhaps not at the speed wished. Bankrolling a club is great when there is a heart involved. The guy running the club now has featherstone running through his veins irrespective of any mistakes made. Faisal didn't, it was about him not about Rovers.. Many in Mark's position would have walked away - he stayed to fight on.
The noise off the field needs to stop and back the coach to make it click on the field. Players are affected by disruption no matter how much people bang on about " professionalism" etc.
I only started this post to echo Terry's comments and I've had a rant. Time for a drink.

Well said Rich.

#250 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,955 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

I already have a glass full of the rhone's finest so I'm sorted!!! :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#251 sandalrover

sandalrover
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

I already have a glass full of the rhone's finest so I'm sorted!!! :lol:

" a glass" ? if I were a beating man I' d say the second bottle was breathing by now.......

Oops (sp) " betting man"

Edited by sandalrover, 12 July 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#252 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,429 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

Breathing? There's no time for that kind of nonsense chez Evans when he's on the plonk.

A Fev Blog

#253 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

" a glass" ? if I were a beating man I' d say the second bottle was breathing by now.......
Oops (sp) " betting man"

Robin... Beating man.....is Kylie on the box?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users