Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

John Duffy in for Watto?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#21 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

Can someone copy n paste on here for us none facebookers ??

#22 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

The following tweets are the official press release issued by the clubs board.....
Last week the Swinton Lions Board was contacted by Ian Watson & advised that he had accepted a role as Assistant Coach at Salford Red Devils
This opportunity for him to advance in the Coaching environment met with his ambitions on a personal basis & one he did not wish to miss.
Following conversations between the Swinton Board and Salford Red Devils it was decided that we would accept Ian's resignation. This allowed us time to fill the vacancy and ensure that the recent momentum with team performance and results was not weakened.
Both parties agreed to this, allowing us to play Sunday's game against Barrow with full focus.
Clearly this was the correct decision and we would like to thank Salford for their support in respect of this.
Ian has now been released from his contract to join Salford to pursue his ambitions.
John Roddy Development Director for Swinton Lions said 'It was a shock when we received Ian's resignation, however we fully appreciate that in any young coach's career, it is important that they can pursue their ambitions.
Whilst not the best timing, Ian does leave us in a good position and one which a new coach can pick up very quickly working with Wes & Marlon. May I on behalf of the Swinton Lions Board wish Ian all the very best of luck at Salford and we thank him for his hard work with us.
The board will announce Ian Watson's successor later today!
On behalf of the Trust & all connected with ‪#‎SwintonLions‬ I would like to thank Ian Watson for everything & wish him well in his new role

#23 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:15 PM

Thanks Dave

#24 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

Via twitter, John Duffy appointed head coach statement to follow

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#25 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

A big thank you to Ian Watson for his efforts for the club and every best wish for success in his new role.  Obviously a move into a Super League coaching job in the local area is a great opportunity for Ian and he deserves the chance to develop his career at that level.

It's an awful loss for us at a crucial point in the season as Watto is such an important cog in the set up on and off the field.  It will be extremely hard to fill his boots. An already difficult battle for survival in the Champioship just got a whole lot harder.

#26 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Just updated the website

Riggy

#27 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

Can I commend the board on how they have dealt with this and the swift (though considered) appointment of John Duffy.

I am however still disappointed with Salford to leak the story to the press before your chance to announce and attempts to create media at other clubs expense.

I would wish Ian good luck but it is Salford so I won't.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#28 Lion58

Lion58
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

I think the move to Salford is a good move for Watto on a personal level for him and I wish him well for the future. Don't know much about Duffy other than he was a player who always gave 100% so not sure what if any coaching credentials he has but if he is the one them I'm behind him 100%.

More concerning for me though is the bigger picture and what I'd like to understand is the motives of this John Roddy and what exactly his interests in our club are.

Knowing a few people close to the club at Leigh and working in the community game and also living in the Wigan area these days it's fair to say John left Leigh in confusing circumstances with the clubs official press release sighting work commitments yet a strong rumour supported by some high profile people in local RL circles in the town suggest he was left with no alternative but to stand down as he had failed to meet financial commitments that he'd agreed to along with rest of the Leigh Board and iwas on borrowed time for a long while before jumping ship.

It looks like the Leigh club were pretty gracious and have declined to publicly comment or confirm these rumours but privately I believe a few of their directors have confirmed these stories to be true. I would imagine they were hardly very happy when he decided to show his face so quickly at a club operating out of the same stadium and It now appears he's using his links with Leigh and the Leigh Community Foundation (whom John Duffy is currently employed by) which I can't see being very well received by the powers that be at Leigh.

I truly hope that this is not just an ego maniac who's come to our club to for some kind of personal gain or to get back at his former club by ruffling a few feathers.

As John has posted on here it would be interesting to see if he can deny or confirm the above and also weather he could go on record as to state why he has chosen to get involved at Swinton and his motives for doing so. According to companies house he is also still a share holder still at Leigh though rumours are he's relinquished his shares to somebody operating on the very same Foundations board that he is taking Duffy from.

Be interesting to hear Johns side of the story if indeed he is a man who's willing to demonstrate his transparency to us the fans.

Edited by Lion58, 24 June 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#29 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

I think the move to Salford is a good move for Watto on a personal level for him and I wish him well for the future. Don't know much about Duffy other than he was a player who always gave 100% so not sure what if any coaching credentials he has but if he is the one them I'm behind him 100%.

More concerning for me though is the bigger picture and what I'd like to understand is the motives of this John Roddy and what exactly his interests in our club are.

Knowing a few people close to the club at Leigh and working in the community game and also living in the Wigan area these days it's fair to say John left Leigh in confusing circumstances with the clubs official press release sighting work commitments yet a strong rumour supported by some high profile people in local RL circles in the town suggest he was left with no alternative but to stand down as he had failed to meet financial commitments that he'd agreed to along with rest of the Leigh Board and iwas on borrowed time for a long while before jumping ship.

It looks like the Leigh club were pretty gracious and have declined to publicly comment or confirm these rumours but privately I believe a few of their directors have confirmed these stories to be true. I would imagine they were hardly very happy when he decided to show his face so quickly at a club operating out of the same stadium and It now appears he's using his links with Leigh and the Leigh Community Foundation (whom John Duffy is currently employed by) which I can't see being very well received by the powers that be at Leigh.

I truly hope that this is not just an ego maniac who's come to our club to for some kind of personal gain or to get back at his former club by ruffling a few feathers.

As John has posted on here it would be interesting to see if he can deny or confirm the above and also weather he could go on record as to state why he has chosen to get involved at Swinton and his motives for doing so. According to companies house he is also still a share holder still at Leigh though rumours are he's relinquished his shares to somebody operating on the very same Foundations board that he is taking Duffy from.

Be interesting to hear Johns side of the story if indeed he is a man who's willing to demonstrate his transparency to us the fans.

Having now known for a good few weeks I find him of very good character and certainly open.
I would have no doubt he will deal with your questions but quite frankly a lot of what you ask is personal and maybe should have been asked face to face .... He is very approachable you will find.

#30 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 607 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

I'm absolutely certain John doesn't need me to defend him and he might not thank me for writing this, but once you start digging into old club politics you will always uncover opinion, gossip and agendas, and it can be difficult to know for certain what to believe. Or perhaps there is simply no "story" to uncover in the first place!

In my view the situation is simple. John comes to Swinton as a successful businessman very experienced in Rugby League, and we should just judge him on his record with the Lions (as also applies to the rest of us). John's experience should be invaluable in helping to structure us going forward (following an incredibly difficult 6 months for which the players and coaches deserve a huge amount of respect & praise). Let's look to the future as ONE TEAM, and extend a big Swinton welcome to both John Roddy & John Duffy. If there must be a judge let it be history.

#31 JohnRoddy

JohnRoddy
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Hi Lion58 sorry being new to the club, I don't know who you are! I will be in the bar after the game on Sunday please feel free to buy me a pint and I will happily answer your questions, providing you are happy to share your personal information ;)

Please try to resist listening to gossip and focus like me and the rest of the board on securing our future in the Championship next season.

I am by personal choice responding to the boards request for me to support them and I have worked really hard during the past 2/3 weeks to assist - my only reason (motive ??) for doing so is I don't want us to drop down into C1 - I hope that is enough?

Having dealt with a difficult situation for the club during the last week this 'egomaniac' intends to now go back into a role trying to source increased income for the club, improve communication and hopefully supporter numbers!

See you Sunday!

Best wishes John

#32 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

I know one thing for certain
No one joins a rugby league board hoping to make any money
So the only motivating factor for an egomaniac would be adulation
Seeing as this is Swinton then the blokes joined the wrong club
Only three weeks ago some fans were calling for Wattos head. Now we are dismayed at his resignation.
Not a place for an egomaniac but maybe a masochist.
The shadowy world of rugby league directorship at Swinton is a thing of the past I believe with gents like Wild and Marshall steering our ship
This new regime is the future and good luck to us all

Edited by mark richardson, 24 June 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#33 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

So it's welcome to Swinton Lions to John Duffy.  As with Gary Chambers last season he takes over in far from ideal circumstances but he should be given the chance to show what he can do for us and maybe, as Chambers did, he will lead us to another great escape.

We know who will coach the team but a concern remains in who will take over in Watto's on field role as he led the team and dictated play from scrum half.  He may have been slowing down but his wealth of experience was invaluable.

I await developments with interest and will be keen to see how the team respond on Sunday against a Workington side who are going well at present. We need the fourth win in a row so come on John Duffy and all the team let's continue the climb up the table.

Edited by dummy scissors, 24 June 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#34 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

Dummy Scissors John Duffy will coach the team along with Marlon and Wes and I'm very hopeful they will do a damn fine job.

#35 mickburkes boots

mickburkes boots
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

Good luck Ian for the future, youve been a great player, good coach in very difficult circumstances and a honest and very humble person, big thanks

#36 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

I'm absolutely certain John doesn't need me to defend him and he might not thank me for writing this, but once you start digging into old club politics you will always uncover opinion, gossip and agendas, and it can be difficult to know for certain what to believe. Or perhaps there is simply no "story" to uncover in the first place!

In my view the situation is simple. John comes to Swinton as a successful businessman very experienced in Rugby League, and we should just judge him on his record with the Lions (as also applies to the rest of us). John's experience should be invaluable in helping to structure us going forward (following an incredibly difficult 6 months for which the players and coaches deserve a huge amount of respect & praise). Let's look to the future as ONE TEAM, and extend a big Swinton welcome to both John Roddy & John Duffy. If there must be a judge let it be history.

Excellently well put Steve.

#37 Lion58

Lion58
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

Hi Lion58 sorry being new to the club, I don't know who you are! I will be in the bar after the game on Sunday please feel free to buy me a pint and I will happily answer your questions, providing you are happy to share your personal information ;)
Please try to resist listening to gossip and focus like me and the rest of the board on securing our future in the Championship next season.
I am by personal choice responding to the boards request for me to support them and I have worked really hard during the past 2/3 weeks to assist - my only reason (motive ??) for doing so is I don't want us to drop down into C1 - I hope that is enough?
Having dealt with a difficult situation for the club during the last week this 'egomaniac' intends to now go back into a role trying to source increased income for the club, improve communication and hopefully supporter numbers!
See you Sunday!
Best wishes John

Thanks for taking time out to respond John , if not to answer the questions I asked.

Wish you luck and really hope you can help avoid relegation and what will surely be extinction for the club having to operate in Championship One.

PS with a sidestep and swerve like that you should play stand off Sunday mate.

You sure your in security and not politics ;-)

All the Best.

#38 Lion58

Lion58
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:17 PM

I assure you I don't make a habit of spreading or listening to rumours from any old source.

I've had it on pretty good authority that John left his post at Leigh due to being put under pressure to deliver financially on commitments I believe that he made but never saw through.

I also believe he is not that experienced in RL as people seem to think and his relatively short involvement at Leigh was indeed his first real involvement in the sport as either a amateur or professional at any level.

It's also muted he was used as nothing more than a figurehead at leigh by the new board and investors who are steering leigh on a journey to Super League with or without him it seems.

Seems a decent guy and I sincerely hope he and his chosen new coach can help us avoid the drop into what will be the league that time forgot next year and the inevitable slow painful death.

With the above in mind I wonder if he has yet invested any cash into our club yet by the way?

The cynic in me sees a bloke who's neither a Leigh or Swinton supporter looking to outlay very little cash but use smaller clubs to get to bigger and better things like perhaps Salford who he's already flirted with by the looks of his twitter account or maybe even his hometown club Wire.

Hope I'm wrong but suppose time will tell.

Edited by Lion58, 24 June 2014 - 10:33 PM.

#39 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:12 PM

Dummy Scissors John Duffy will coach the team along with Marlon and Wes and I'm very hopeful they will do a damn fine job.

I am quite clear on who will now be coaching the team Marshy and as I said I hope Duffy and company can pull us through and avoid relegation but I remain interested to see how Watson's on field influence and experience will be covered.  All will no doubt be revealed in the coming weeks beginning on Sunday against Workington. 

Edited by dummy scissors, 24 June 2014 - 11:19 PM.

#40 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

Ed Barber? Scrum Half? Looked a big n

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"