Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

John Duffy in for Watto?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#41 JohnRoddy

JohnRoddy
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:43 AM

I assure you I don't make a habit of spreading or listening to rumours from any old source.

I've had it on pretty good authority that John left his post at Leigh due to being put under pressure to deliver financially on commitments I believe that he made but never saw through.

I also believe he is not that experienced in RL as people seem to think and his relatively short involvement at Leigh was indeed his first real involvement in the sport as either a amateur or professional at any level.

It's also muted he was used as nothing more than a figurehead at leigh by the new board and investors who are steering leigh on a journey to Super League with or without him it seems.

Seems a decent guy and I sincerely hope he and his chosen new coach can help us avoid the drop into what will be the league that time forgot next year and the inevitable slow painful death.

With the above in mind I wonder if he has yet invested any cash into our club yet by the way?

The cynic in me sees a bloke who's neither a Leigh or Swinton supporter looking to outlay very little cash but use smaller clubs to get to bigger and better things like perhaps Salford who he's already flirted with by the looks of his twitter account or maybe even his hometown club Wire.

Hope I'm wrong but suppose time will tell.

Morning Lion58 - Guess your not going to buy me that pint after Sundays game after all!

Say hi to your source from me - I'm not biting my friend!

Best wishes,

John

Edited by JohnRoddy, 25 June 2014 - 04:44 AM.

#42 JohnRoddy

JohnRoddy
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:09 AM

Went with John Duffy last night to his first training session and had a good meeting with John, Marlon and Wes - the guys were quickly gathered around the table planning for Sundays game.

It was good to see John having good banter with the players and getting stuck in.

I know that John is looking forward to meeting supporters after Sundays game and attending like me the Trust meeting second Tuesday in July..

Let's give him a warm welcome on Sunday!

Regards,

John

#43 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

I'll second that, let's get right behind the lads come Sunday!

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#44 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

There are lots of things going on behind the scenes at the moment and again if and when they come into fruition the fans will know about them.  There are many potential sponsors being worked on at the moment .

Please get behind the board, the trust and the coaching and playing staff and lets help them get up that table.

Reminder if you have not yet joined the trust  WHY ?.    It will cost you two pounds per month minimum by standing order.   There are still a lot of regular fans who are not members but we need you on board so please join as soon as possible.

Cheers

Riggy

#45 Robert McGivern

Robert McGivern
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

I am not here to defend John Roddy he's big enough and from the chats I've had with him open enough to do that himself. (Not that he needs to in my books)
What I can say is I opened a twitter account @sponsorSwinton a few weeks back, I also started ringing and emailing companies and individuals looking for ways we can work to benefit Swinton Lions. This account has brought in a small amount of money and we have linked up with some major companies who are interested in working with us.
One of the fist people I spoke to was ..... John Roddy, since then John has been an invaluable asset to me with his business knowledge and ideas he has for increasing income for the Lions, not to mention the great support John and his company are giving us this weekend so we can play our match Sunday at SP.
I would suggest if you do meet him you buy him a pint and chat with him about what he has done, is currently doing and his visions to increase our none existent commercial operations.

#46 Peewagg

Peewagg
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

Good on yer and well done, Rob McGivern.
To John Roddy - I suggest you come to SP by taxi on Sunday. You'll be bladdered after all them pints! :-) good luck to you sir and to John Duffy.
EAT 'EM, LIONS!

#47 Lion58

Lion58
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Morning Lion58 - Guess your not going to buy me that pint after Sundays game after all!

Say hi to your source from me - I'm not biting my friend!

Best wishes,

John

Gladly buy you a pint, hopefully catch you Sunday.

As for biting I was asking what I feel are fair and reasonable questions so by not biting I presume you are not willing to publically answer them.

The old saying no smoke without fire and all that.

Benefit of doubt and all that ;)

#48 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hi

I am not here to defend John Roddy he's big enough and from the chats I've had with him open enough to do that himself. (Not that he needs to in my books)
What I can say is I opened a twitter account @sponsorSwinton a few weeks back, I also started ringing and emailing companies and individuals looking for ways we can work to benefit Swinton Lions. This account has brought in a small amount of money and we have linked up with some major companies who are interested in working with us.
One of the fist people I spoke to was ..... John Roddy, since then John has been an invaluable asset to me with his business knowledge and ideas he has for increasing income for the Lions, not to mention the great support John and his company are giving us this weekend so we can play our match Sunday at SP.
I would suggest if you do meet him you buy him a pint and chat with him about what he has done, is currently doing and his visions to increase our none existent commercial operations.

Hi Rob, I have been told you are approaching Leigh's contacts and community clubs. Is this true and if so why? Surely your medium term future is not in Leigh?

#49 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

Swinton have a long history of having Leigh players in their team
Don't start trouble causing this is nothing new if indeed it is happening
Your lot is nice and bonny at the moment. We are just trying to survive.

#50 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

Lion58 I think you've made your point, have a word with John Roddy on Sunday and get it off your chest in person!

sweaty craiq, anyone is quite entitled to contact anyone, you don't have '1st dibs' on potential sponsors or players! Go and wind someone else up eh!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#51 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Lion58 I think you've made your point, have a word with John Roddy on Sunday and get it off your chest in person!

sweaty craiq, anyone is quite entitled to contact anyone, you don't have '1st dibs' on potential sponsors or players! Go and wind someone else up eh!

Is that Robs reply? and you are confirming that is your target market, which indeed you have every right to do. It would be disappointing if Duff's role working for Leigh Centurions Foundation in recent years is being used to leverage SLRLFC into our local amateur clubs, or that Leigh's sponsor databases had been used for that matter.

I know one amateur club that I am involved with has been approached by Rob, the business side I have no idea about as rumours always fly about.

Gloves are off then I suppose LL. 

ps I am aware of the rich history of Leythers at Swinton Mark, that was not what I was talking about.

#52 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

God I'm bored by all this twaddle already

#53 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

Is that Robs reply? and you are confirming that is your target market, which indeed you have every right to do. It would be disappointing if Duff's role working for Leigh Centurions Foundation in recent years is being used to leverage SLRLFC into our local amateur clubs, or that Leigh's sponsor databases had been used for that matter.

I know one amateur club that I am involved with has been approached by Rob, the business side I have no idea about as rumours always fly about.

Gloves are off then I suppose LL. 

ps I am aware of the rich history of Leythers at Swinton Mark, that was not what I was talking about.

Craiq (or sweaty) - You  can quite easily see that it is not Robs reply and that it was from another member (Loyal Lion). Clearly he was not speaking for Rob. Doh..

Can I suggest that you take any grievance/concerns up with the club directly/formally and not a list of uniformed supporters (as we are on here) as such postings are only going to be inflammatory and counterproductive.

Plus if something is "going on" as you imply, you are not going to get the response you request on a public forum (as is quite right)

I know your game ;)

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#54 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

Fair enough, I know yours too ........

#55 Robert McGivern

Robert McGivern
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

Hi Craig, the only contact I have made with an community club in Leigh was to arrange the drop off / collection of some drinks for our players. In this visit we had an adult to adult conversation about how we could help each other. Such as ball boys and a half time match for a team from Leigh playing against a team from Swinton. I thank the people there for the help and kindness that they showed me.
As for contacting Leigh's contacts - that is a categoric NO. I don't know who they are etc.
I am contacting companies in the UK , Europe and further afield. My starting point and primary focal point is Swinton. I have contacted a Miami based company but no Dolphins fans have been on here yet chastising me.
In all seriousness contacting a company in Leigh it may happen as I'm sure Leigh contact companies based in Swinton, Salford, Wigan and Warrington.
Craig - do you own a company ? Would you like to sponsor a home match for us ?

If yes, please get intouch and we can arrange a package.

Thanks and all the best,

Rob

#56 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

Hi Rob, thanks for that, the drums are banging over here so it's good to get your side
Thanks for your enquiry but I will continue pushing a few bob into Leigh sponsorship
All the best on getting back into Swinton, you know that is your ultimate salvation

Edited by sweaty craiq, 25 June 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#57 RugbyLeagueForever

RugbyLeagueForever
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

Living in the Wigan area, it is know that Steve McCormack applied to take over from Watson, With Watson staying with Steve until mid July to help the new scrum half settle in. A former celebrated Swinton Coach should have at least been given the courtesy of an interview

Think you Swinton Fans are being lead down the garden path by John Roddy.

Wish Watto all the best at Salford

#58 Lion58

Lion58
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

Hi

Hi Rob, I have been told you are approaching Leigh's contacts and community clubs. Is this true and if so why? Surely your medium term future is not in Leigh?

Well I have some very good friends and connections at one of the community clubs in Leigh in particular and it has been mentioned that someone from Swinton had been sniffing round and had used some kind of drinks deal as route in, his words not mine.

I just hope we show some respect and if we are targeting the community game chose to do so in our own community and not the Leigh Community which Leigh have worked extremely hard with over the last 12 months.

Same with businesses and sponsorship if Rob under the guidance of Mr Roddy goes after any contacts he's made during in his time at Leigh then its bang out of order.

#59 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

Don't know why this is being aired on Swinton forum
It all seems like a massive winding up exercise by people who have previously never posted.

#60 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

Plus I'm pretty much certain that folly lane provided the half time entertainment at the last match
I hope that's far enough east of Leigh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users