Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Height of Summer Rugby?

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#221 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

Regardless though if clubs want to move back to winter I would let them have that option I just don't think it would help and would forbid players from playing both seasons without a proper transfer.

#222 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

Withdrawal of RFL development funding
Academies clashing with youth season
Dual registration of players in winter and summer

Reliance on RU players outside the heartlands

I see the exact same problems affecting the winter season as the summer. The Pennine and Hull league's are struggling and NWCL and Yorkshire Youth were far worse than their summer equivalents. Clubs have voted with their feet in the summer move and mainly shifted so we should make the season they've chosen work. A second switch of season would be extra disruption and further split the game so the case for it would have to be strong which the existing winter leagues having identical problems to summer suggest it isn't. Personally I think everyone playing the same season would be good and summer is the majority. March to November with a midseason break seems the best compromise though I'd still have concerns over players coming back after the break.

Academies would not clash and Dual registration would be far less of an issue, particularly if the playing calendar was managed correctly across all competitions, you could even say it might end up a "Seemless transition" if everyone (Pro clubs included) worked together.

You definately would not achieve that through a March-November season, but could certainly manage it so that there were significant improvements and less disruption in the interests of all parties through a Sept-May season.

#223 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

Bowes you keep saying the winter is struggling there will be nearly 100 Pennine teams, with some new to the Pennine, Hull will have 20-25 teams playing out of one city I think quite good. As I have said before the demise of the Yorkshire Youth was nothing to do with a summer or winter situation it was left to die by the management.
Winter was showing a decrease in participation but not at the rapid rate we have now

If you think 6 matches out of 38 NWC u18 teams is good then we have no chance

Changing back would cause disruption but not as much as what has been caused by changing to summer

#224 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

Please read the SOUTH EAST AND LONDON CUP thread London RL is in a mess, nothing to do with the seasons as they have only really played summer there also appear very few competitive youth games, this was the next big growth area.

You can blame
The withdrawal of funding
And ask the question
Why does our great game not have the ability to expand into other areas

#225 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

Bowes you keep saying the winter is struggling there will be nearly 100 Pennine teams, with some new to the Pennine, Hull will have 20-25 teams playing out of one city I think quite good. As I have said before the demise of the Yorkshire Youth was nothing to do with a summer or winter situation it was left to die by the management.
Winter was showing a decrease in participation but not at the rapid rate we have now

If you think 6 matches out of 38 NWC u18 teams is good then we have no chance

Changing back would cause disruption but not as much as what has been caused by changing to summer

5 teams failing to complete the season in Hull ie about a quarter plus 13% of premier division games called off in the Pennine league mainly due to 2 clubs failing to compete the season. In fact the worst season ever for fixture fulfilment that I can remember. Probably largely due to dual registration but if winter were the solution that wouldn't be an issue.

#226 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Summer rugby , dual registrations , scholarships and academies all RFL led is it not obvious the RFL is not good for the community game ?

#227 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

5 teams failing to complete the season in Hull ie about a quarter plus 13% of premier division games called off in the Pennine league mainly due to 2 clubs failing to compete the season. In fact the worst season ever for fixture fulfilment that I can remember. Probably largely due to dual registration but if winter were the solution that wouldn't be an issue.

As I keep saying the game has its problems, not all to do with the weather, looking at the facts and figures I have pointed out to you recently, is it any better since the change? If yes great if no why did we change and what do we do to get it back on track?

#228 fatboystu

fatboystu
  • 276 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Ok I've sat back and read this so I'll have my say. The terrible pennine premier season that bowes continues to bang on about was caused by 2 teams. Bank top were invited to join the premier division despite not finishing in the top 2 of the championship division, tbf they were never in a position to be competitive in the premier. Keighley blobbed fixtures as they have been struggling in recent years. They have gone from 4 teams to 2 due to lack of players and they were also always up against it.
The 3 strike rule regarding missed fixtures is not as you make out. If you miss 3 fixtures you must appear before the pennine committee and either be kicked out or make a case to carry on eg thornhill A Who despite missing 4 fixtures were allowed to continue.
Recently, the club I play for asked the players whether they wished to apply for the ncl/yml or carry or in the pennine league. The players overwhelming voted to carry on in the pennine. Reasons ranged from.....too expensive for travel, too far to travel, fines too expensive and most of all, the level of intensity of games is the same if not harder than the ncl until you reach the premier division! This was said by blokes who have played in the ncl!

#229 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Ok I've sat back and read this so I'll have my say. The terrible pennine premier season that bowes continues to bang on about was caused by 2 teams. Bank top were invited to join the premier division despite not finishing in the top 2 of the championship division, tbf they were never in a position to be competitive in the premier. Keighley blobbed fixtures as they have been struggling in recent years. They have gone from 4 teams to 2 due to lack of players and they were also always up against it.
The 3 strike rule regarding missed fixtures is not as you make out. If you miss 3 fixtures you must appear before the pennine committee and either be kicked out or make a case to carry on eg thornhill A Who despite missing 4 fixtures were allowed to continue.
Recently, the club I play for asked the players whether they wished to apply for the ncl/yml or carry or in the pennine league. The players overwhelming voted to carry on in the pennine. Reasons ranged from.....too expensive for travel, too far to travel, fines too expensive and most of all, the level of intensity of games is the same if not harder than the ncl until you reach the premier division! This was said by blokes who have played in the ncl!

So what would your thoughts be on a New OA National competition that was played from Sept-May?

Do you think that it would appeal to some of the teams in the Pennine league if a strong representation was made from the NWC, Hull, even current NCL "Summer" Teams?

#230 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:48 AM

Active Peoples Survey from 2006-13, tells its own tale..............

Cricket - 195,200 particpants in 2006 down 3% to 189,400 in 2013

Football - 2,021,700 participants in 2006 down 4% to 1,939,700 in 2013

Rugby Union - 185,600 participants in 2006 down 10% to 166,400 in 2013

Golf - 889,100 participants in 2006 down 13% to 772,800 in 2013

Rugby League - 73,700 participants in 2006 down 34% to 48,700 in 2013

Edited by LordCharles, Yesterday, 10:55 AM.

#231 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:22 AM

15000 of rugby league's decline happened in winter incidentally; 10000 in summer. So the issue is apart from the playing season.

Isn't a good picture at all though, think the loss of development funding has been a killer though.

Personally I think the professional academies need to be either play a full season or none and also under 18s and under 17s need to merge so that there's 2 years of players and less disruption caused by players leaving education. The game needs fewer, stronger clubs with multiple teams and where possible this needs to be combined with lower travel costs. Obviously development areas and village teams this isn't possible in. I also think the distinction between the professional and amateur game needs ending, there's no reason why West Hull couldn't be in a league with Gateshead Thunder. Most crucially all clubs need to be playing in one season with one governing body to stop players burning out trying to play 2 overlapping seasons and to stop petty disputes.

#232 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 143 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:06 PM

Contradicting figures

RFL on their website say 250,000 playing the game, then further down the page 250,000 including volunteers and referees
RFL Tweeted 39,000 now registered to the community game an increase of 2,000, but LC says 48,700 on his survey, and RFL said 53,000 the year before, sorry to me a decrease, the RFL also mention 27% increase in participation WHERE?

I am dizzy with all this spin

#233 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:33 PM

the 250,000 probably includes every child that's done rugby league in a PE class?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users