Height of Summer Rugby?

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#361 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

I wish that there was a quick fix for this but unfortunately that wouldn't be the case although some urgent remedial work is desperately needed.

Your 100% right unfortunately the governing body think everything is going well with 16% increase in 16-18 year olds, 52% increase in adult participation, so they say, they need to look at the fixtures and how many are not going ahead, the amount of teams not playing week to week the collapse of the Youth game outside of Yorkshire and Lancashire and the reduction in fixtures in these counties.
We are not in a position to do anything the RFL are but unfortunately seem reluctant to do so, do they believe their own marketing?
Nigel Wood says the game has never been in a healthier state with record turnover why is some of this not being pumped into the Amateur game, without this there will be no game.

Edited by Defender1, 03 August 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#362 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

The governing body know damn well the state of the amateur game but their concerns are scholarship, pro acadamies etc which are all part of the Aussie pyramid system that is being implemented.

No thought or even the slightest concern is given to how many established teams and clubs fall beside the wayside. The RFL way of thinking is that the players will just have fewer choices (clubs) to make and the clubs that they will be attracted to will be the performance orientated RFL selected clubs.

The governing body will not rest until their one town/city, one team at every level plan is in place, I wonder which Hull club will be the championship feeder club to its Super League big brother. Will the Airlie bird manage to secure the worm, or will we see the Red, Red Robin go bobbin' along?

As for the healthy state of the game and record turnover, the RFL are quite capable of keeping all their balls in the air when it comes to figures.

#363 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

The governing body will not rest until their one town/city, one team at every level plan is in place, I wonder which Hull club will be the championship feeder club to its Super League big brother. Will the Airlie bird manage to secure the worm, or will we see the Red, Red robin go bob bob bobbing along.

We as Hull clubs know who the clubs are already, but if there is only one in each town for each Pro club one may be upset, problem is these clubs are the voice of the amateur game and at the moment are backing the RFL, this may change with the new proposed structure as they could now lose teams and age groups and then may struggle to support their open age teams.

Edited by Defender1, 03 August 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#364 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,170 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

I can't see the RFL wanting to go as far as one club per town or pro club but could see then preferring the Leigh set up of 2 strong clubs (multiply that out for more clubs for larger towns naturally) to the set up in some places (mainly in Yorkshire) of lots of pub teams close by each other. Though guess west of the Pennines there's lots of clubs in areas with no pro club which is rare in Yorkshire

Edited by bowes, 03 August 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#365 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

The overall plan initially was to have one team at each level in major towns/cities as is with the various superbs in Sydney and Oz overall.

I suppose that the RFL may have eased back slightly on this plan as they continually move the goalposts and in the current climate it would be very difficult to find a viable club in Bradford and in any area of London. 

And hey Bowsie where were you at the very concept of Super League, don't you remember the RFL proposal of "Calder Super League club" which would have been a merger between Castleford, Featherstone and Wakefield.

Just for my information as well Bowes, who are the two strong Leigh clubs?

#366 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,170 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

I meant 2 at amateur level, technically should have said 3 clubs. Leigh East are a shadow of their former selves but I'm still prepared to class them as a strong club in comparison to the wider community game. Ah one team per area per division makes more sense but sounds too contrived for my liking. For what it's worth I've heard the RFL's plan is for 80 teams at tier 4 with 56 northern sides in the NCL and 24 midlands and southern sides in leagues there (probably one division for midlands and SW and one for London and SE) but we're not there yet. To achieve that there would naturally be mergers to create enough strong clubs to fill it albeit encouraged rather than forced. This would have more not less clubs per area at that level

#367 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

I meant 2 at amateur level, technically should have said 3 clubs. Leigh East are a shadow of their former selves but I'm still prepared to class them as a strong club in comparison to the wider community game. Ah one team per area per division makes more sense but sounds too contrived for my liking. For what it's worth I've heard the RFL's plan is for 80 teams at tier 4 with 56 northern sides in the NCL and 24 midlands and southern sides in leagues there (probably one division for midlands and SW and one for London and SE) but we're not there yet. To achieve that there would naturally be mergers to create enough strong clubs to fill it albeit encouraged rather than forced. This would have more not less clubs per area at that level

Ok thanks Bowes, I've got the gist of what you are saying. Yes sadly Easts are in remission and hopefully there is more improvement on the cards, however it wouldn't matter one bit to the governing body if it was Miners or East or any other club that they could latch on to the local pro club.

Yes the one town one team plan may sound a little contrived but hey aren't the RFL masters at operating with cons as either suffix or prefix. And no doubt the RFL would definitely favour less clubs as it would be a lot easier for them to manage.

#368 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,170 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

Actually now that you mention it the RFL did at one point think about a Championship 2 that would be probably one club one town but I assume the idea's been quietly dropped.

I think the RFL would rather a higher percentage of clubs play at NCL level which would likely mean less clubs overall. That I could actually get behind though as for example I think we're better off with Thatto Heath Crusaders than we were with Thatto Heath and St Helens Crusaders separately. Featherstone Lions and Hunslet Warriors I think both used to be 3 separate clubs

Edited by bowes, 03 August 2014 - 08:02 PM.

#369 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

Featherstone and Hunslet warriors as far as I remember they have always been clubs in their own rights, tell me if I am wrong.
Also you praise Thatto their A team did not fulfil their fixture yesterday

#370 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

Featherstone and Hunslet warriors as far as I remember they have always been clubs in their own rights, tell me if I am wrong.
Also you praise Thatto their A team did not fulfil their fixture yesterday

Lions = Travellers, Miners and Jubilee

Warriors = Bisons, Garden Gate and Brassmoulders

#371 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

You learn something new everyday thanks for that

#372 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

I actually played against Bisons in a cup competition we got beat 33-1, think Trevor Skerritt had something to do.with them either him or his brother coached them

#373 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

We have now put pen to paper and drafted our proposals for the NCL delegates meeting. These will be presented to the NCL committee at the next delegates meeting.
Just wondering how many other clubs have done the same?

#374 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

We have now put pen to paper and drafted our proposals for the NCL delegates meeting. These will be presented to the NCL committee at the next delegates meeting.

Our secretary is putting something together and putting it through the local rep as he was told that was the best way to do it, they then make sure it is discussed at the next meeting, I hope there is enough support to start a couple of leagues, if this happens I would think others would follow as this is what happened before

Edited by Defender1, 05 August 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#375 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

It will be interesting to see how the NCL Management Committee now manage this process and indeed how it is communicated to the clubs.

#376 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

For what it's worth I've heard the RFL's plan is for 80 teams at tier 4 with 56 northern sides in the NCL and 24 midlands and southern sides in leagues there (probably one division for midlands and SW and one for London and SE) but we're not there yet. To achieve that there would naturally be mergers to create enough strong clubs to fill it albeit encouraged rather than forced. This would have more not less clubs per area at that level

Our secretary is putting something together and putting it through the local rep as he was told that was the best way to do it, they then make sure it is discussed at the next meeting, I hope there is enough support to start a couple of leagues, if this happens I would think others would follow as this is what happened before

I never like to be the pessimist, but is it worth the clubs putting their suggestions forward when according to the Bowes post the RFL have got their own plans for the NCL.

Despite the continueous denials from Messrs Hunt and Moran just who does run the NCL?

#377 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

NvD I suppose they won't know unless they try to do something, to be fair for a minority sport you cannot believe how the RFL work. As LC says it will be interesting how it is handled by the RFL (NCL) as I have said since the leagues signed up to the OR the RFL can do what they want realistically

#378 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

NvD I suppose they won't know unless they try to do something, to be fair for a minority sport you cannot believe how the RFL work. As LC says it will be interesting how it is handled by the RFL (NCL) as I have said since the leagues signed up to the OR the RFL can do what they want realistically

You're right mate, I'm not a defeatist and really it's welcoming to see clubs putting their thoughts forward. The sooner the league is wrested back into the correct management the better.

As for the RFL's behaviour, there are aspects of which could raise a few a few eyebrows

#379 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

According to Trevor hunt and Peter moran the club's run the NCL, And I'm pretty sure they've stated as much on this or a similar forum in the recent past.
Therefore if the club's want change what's to stop that change from occurring?

#380 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

I actually played against Bisons in a cup competition we got beat 33-1, think Trevor Skerritt had something to do.with them either him or his brother coached them

I think it was his Brother, Trevor did play for them and did at lease once after he retired from the pro ranks.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users