Height of Summer Rugby?

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#381 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

According to Trevor hunt and Peter moran the club's run the NCL, And I'm pretty sure they've stated as much on this or a similar forum in the recent past.
Therefore if the club's want change what's to stop that change from occurring?

Unfortunately since the signing of the OR by the majority of leagues even though it is said the clubs run the leagues it is the RFL that have the ultimate say in which direction they want the game to go, in my opinion it's DOWN unfortunately

#382 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

Struggling to follow this thread

#383 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

Lions = Travellers, Miners and Jubilee

Warriors = Bisons, Garden Gate and Brassmoulders

I don't think FMW Joined up with Jubilee & Travellers to form Fev Lions, they did however fold shortly afterwards.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#384 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Struggling to follow this thread

It has appeared to cover lots of topics

#385 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 435 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

I don't think FMW Joined up with Jubilee & Travellers to form Fev Lions, they did however fold shortly afterwards.

Correct Jim, they refused to join but folded 2 seasons later, never to return.

I played against them in their penultimate game

#386 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

Unfortunately since the signing of the OR by the majority of leagues even though it is said the clubs run the leagues it is the RFL that have the ultimate say in which direction they want the game to go, in my opinion it's DOWN unfortunately

No pressure to get everyone on board then, taken from the July Community Board Meeting in July
GOVERNANCE
Operational Rules – Hull Open Age League
Ms Taylor gave a brief update on the work with the Hull Open Age League to obtain their signature and adoption of the RFL Operational Rules.
The League is the only area remaining in the community game which has not agreed to adopt the Operational Rules.
It was noted that the League had, on various occasions, indicated to both the RFL and BARLA that they were not prepared to sign the rules. It was agreed to once again try to get the League to sign and if they still refuse, then the Community Board agreed to recommend to the RFL Board that the Hull Open Age League should lose its status as a recognised community league and therefore, its relevant entitlements. All were in favour of this approach subject to one final attempt to get the League to sign.
NOTE: Subsequent to the meeting, Hull Open Age have invited BARLA and RFL executives to attend a meeting to discuss this further. It is hoped any issues they have around the Operational Rules can be satisfactorily addressed at this meeting.

Still no changes have been seen, the Youth committee also signed after pressure as I have said before the RFL can do what they want.

Edited by Defender1, 06 August 2014 - 07:19 AM.

#387 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,145 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

No pressure to get everyone on board then, taken from the July Community Board Meeting in July
GOVERNANCE
Operational Rules – Hull Open Age League
Ms Taylor gave a brief update on the work with the Hull Open Age League to obtain their signature and adoption of the RFL Operational Rules.
The League is the only area remaining in the community game which has not agreed to adopt the Operational Rules.
It was noted that the League had, on various occasions, indicated to both the RFL and BARLA that they were not prepared to sign the rules. It was agreed to once again try to get the League to sign and if they still refuse, then the Community Board agreed to recommend to the RFL Board that the Hull Open Age League should lose its status as a recognised community league and therefore, its relevant entitlements. All were in favour of this approach subject to one final attempt to get the League to sign.
NOTE: Subsequent to the meeting, Hull Open Age have invited BARLA and RFL executives to attend a meeting to discuss this further. It is hoped any issues they have around the Operational Rules can be satisfactorily addressed at this meeting.

Still no changes have been seen, the Youth committee also signed after pressure as I have said before the RFL can do what they want.

Every other sport requires leagues to sign up to the governing body's rules.

Having said that the governance by the RFL could do with being much improved, still better than BARLA though

#388 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,145 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

A genuine question to Defender1

If there's an NCL vote that backs summer but you were offered a spot in the Pennine league premier division would you accept it to get to play winter?

#389 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:30 AM

That would be a club decision not mine we will hopefully be running 2 teams in the winter this year anyway so at the moment have the best of both worlds. The coach runs the team and likes the new league proposal he would like NCL in a more traditional season, and has had enough of the summer, suspect at the moment he sees the NCL as the pinocle, and that's being honest

#390 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

With League 1 semi-pro next year looking at a regional bias; is that something NCL needs to consider in the future to reduce costs & travelling time?
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#391 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

With League 1 semi-pro next year looking at a regional bias; is that something NCL needs to consider in the future to reduce costs & travelling time?

NATIONAL Conference League

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#392 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

Everything that has kept UK rugby league as a small-time, insular, locally relevant but nationally invisible sport can be seen in this thread. Which successful sports want to see constant warfare between differing governing bodies or splits to make new governing bodies for subsets of the sport? Which successful sports have more than one governing body per country for that matter?

BARLA did a great job increasing participation within a relatively small geographical area but many of those starting clubs up outside that area seem to have found that they were unhelpful or didn't fully understand the difficulties faced. They were distrustful of everything that the governing body tried to do and fiercely protective of their own fiefdom.

The RFL under Maurice Lindsay then Richard Lewis at least had a strategy for what they wanted to achieve and seemed to understand that mid 20th century solutions wouldn't work in the 21st century. The current incumbents appear clueless to the extent that even BARLA are looked upon with fond reminiscence. The move to summer has been handled so guilelessly that it has allowed the naysayers to death ride it from the start and now come on here like the 4 Horsemen of the Wintry Apocalypse and state that it has failed. RFL press releases are written in a style that would see mass sackings in other sports. Having said that few other sports have as many people constantly working from within to destroy new initiatives, undermine authority and discredit officialdom.

We don't just have a difficulty getting people singing from the same hymn-sheet we have no ability to determine a common language, common religion or even what time of year to sing the bloody hymns. Any piece of good news is immediately jumped upon to see if there is a negative angle to suit someone else's agenda. This forum is no longer the first port of call for new people starting new clubs in outlying areas, it is the agenda-ridden, mud-slinging dirty laundry airing cousin of RL Meltdown meshed with League Weekly letters page.

Depressed!

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#393 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,145 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

I'd replace divisions 2 and 3 with divisions 2 west and 2 east.

If Conference League South works properly I'd make the NCL a northern league (maybe it could stretch to Nottingham)

Edited by bowes, 07 August 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#394 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

Everything that has kept UK rugby league as a small-time, insular, locally relevant but nationally invisible sport can be seen in this thread. Which successful sports want to see constant warfare between differing governing bodies or splits to make new governing bodies for subsets of the sport? Which successful sports have more than one governing body per country for that matter?

BARLA did a great job increasing participation within a relatively small geographical area but many of those starting clubs up outside that area seem to have found that they were unhelpful or didn't fully understand the difficulties faced. They were distrustful of everything that the governing body tried to do and fiercely protective of their own fiefdom.

The RFL under Maurice Lindsay then Richard Lewis at least had a strategy for what they wanted to achieve and seemed to understand that mid 20th century solutions wouldn't work in the 21st century. The current incumbents appear clueless to the extent that even BARLA are looked upon with fond reminiscence. The move to summer has been handled so guilelessly that it has allowed the naysayers to death ride it from the start and now come on here like the 4 Horsemen of the Wintry Apocalypse and state that it has failed. RFL press releases are written in a style that would see mass sackings in other sports. Having said that few other sports have as many people constantly working from within to destroy new initiatives, undermine authority and discredit officialdom.

We don't just have a difficulty getting people singing from the same hymn-sheet we have no ability to determine a common language, common religion or even what time of year to sing the bloody hymns. Any piece of good news is immediately jumped upon to see if there is a negative angle to suit someone else's agenda. This forum is no longer the first port of call for new people starting new clubs in outlying areas, it is the agenda-ridden, mud-slinging dirty laundry airing cousin of RL Meltdown meshed with League Weekly letters page.

Depressed!

If we all thought the Hymn was the correct one we would all be singing it

#395 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

If we all thought the Hymn was the correct one we would all be singing it

If you get 2 rugby league fans in a room you will get 3 opinions on where the game is going wrong! Disagreement and squabbling is fine in football or even union as they are big enough to accommodate the dissenters, we look like 2 bald men fighting over a comb. The various factions within RL are like the People's Revolutionary Front of Judaea and the Revolutionary People's Front of Judaea. We distrust EVERYONE involved and fear their motives. Just for once it might be nice if we had to wait for the first people to rubbish a good news story in our sport to come from outside the game.

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#396 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

If you get 2 rugby league fans in a room you will get 3 opinions on where the game is going wrong! Disagreement and squabbling is fine in football or even union as they are big enough to accommodate the dissenters, we look like 2 bald men fighting over a comb. The various factions within RL are like the People's Revolutionary Front of Judaea and the Revolutionary People's Front of Judaea. We distrust EVERYONE involved and fear their motives. Just for once it might be nice if we had to wait for the first people to rubbish a good news story in our sport to come from outside the game.

Ok I know what you mean but,

The point of the thread was to point out that despite the switch to summer there appear more games being called off than ever before, we are now at the height of summer and the majority of leagues are now having a summer break, the majority of the people on the ground seem to think it has been a bad move and no better than before, with less revenue, lower standards and increased selection problems due to unavailability
The RFL advertise that we have 250,000 people playing the game where are they?
The RFL advertise we have a 16% increase in 16-18 year olds, 52% increase in open age what is wrong with asking where are they?
Do you think the Professional Academy's are good for the amateur game with the amount of players lost with the majority not coming back into the amateur game with teams folding at 15/16
What if any is the legacy of the World Cup?
Nigel Wood says the game has never been in a better place with the record turnover, the majority of people agree league and teams are folding, there appears an alarming decrease in the amount of players playing competitive RL and most of this is blamed on the demise of the local development officers, if we have increased revenue in the game why are these not re-employed.

I would say the majority of my list is fact I only ask questions, NEC please feel free to say I am just complaining, please answer a few of my statements and also give me some factual positives without the spin

#397 Red Carder

Red Carder
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

Having read the accounts on this forum for some months it appears that LordCharles and Defender are a double act, each patting the other on the back. Have either of them tried to get elected to a position of authority at BARLA or the RFL and had their noses pushed out?

It appears that they have a "downer" on anything to do with summer rugby and also the NCL.

It suggests they are wrapped up in their own little world.

#398 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

Having read the accounts on this forum for some months it appears that LordCharles and Defender are a double act, each patting the other on the back. Have either of them tried to get elected to a position of authority at BARLA or the RFL and had their noses pushed out?

It appears that they have a "downer" on anything to do with summer rugby and also the NCL.

It suggests they are wrapped up in their own little world.

I want what is best for the game do you think the switch to summer has been a success or at best any better than what we had before?
I would be the first to admit I was wrong on the summer game if it was working not as it is at the moment
If you have been looking on the forum for a number of months you will see the facts I have presented and the questions I have asked with little or no answers, do you have any?
You say I have a "downer" on the NCL please provide evidence of this one, the RFL and the summer switch I will agree with.
On post 396 I again ask some questions and make some statements are there any answers?

Edited by Defender1, 07 August 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#399 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

NATIONAL Conference League

National in name only!

Clubs moan about going to peterlee and skolars back in the day!

Also the post didn't say to not be national...just to regionalise the lower divisions......if tier 2 regionalise (who are truly national) it would be hard to justify not regionalising tier3!

#400 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

Every other sport requires leagues to sign up to the governing body's rules.

Having said that the governance by the RFL could do with being much improved, still better than BARLA though

quite rightly things were put in place to stop distracting and damaging break away leagues!

If the majority of stakeholders vote to change then thats their democratic right and there will be a change.....if the vote is for no change then the discontented should learn to live with the new surroundings or join a different winter league!

Now is the time for stability. ...without which there can be no growth!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users