Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Height of Summer Rugby?

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#401 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:26 AM

The RFL advertise that we have 250,000 people playing the game where are they?

No they didn't. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#402 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

BR Please have a look

http://www.therfl.co...l/about_the_rfl

#403 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

almost 250,000 people currently involved as players, coaches, match officials or volunteers

That includes everyone who sells programmes on the gate, does a raffle or brings the water - they are all volunteers. There are 5-10 of these in many clubs.

I will answer your earlier post Defender1, but am supposed to be working :)

Edited by nec, 08 August 2014 - 07:32 AM.

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#404 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

almost 250,000 people currently involved as players, coaches, match officials or volunteers

That includes everyone who sells programmes on the gate, does a raffle or brings the water - they are all volunteers. There are 5-10 of these in many clubs.

Sorry on the rolling caption it says 250,000 "playing rugby league" further down the same page it says as you say, which one is right you cannot have it both ways, their post not mine

#405 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

Sorry on the rolling caption it says 250,000 "playing rugby league" further down the same page it says as you say, which one is right you cannot have it both ways, their post not mine

You are correct, someone has incorrectly paraphrased the truth to provide a better stat. Not the world's biggest crime to be fair but certainly there are nowhere near 250K players so they should remove that

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#406 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

You are correct, someone has incorrectly paraphrased the truth to provide a better stat. Not the world's biggest crime to be fair but certainly there are nowhere near 250K players so they should remove that

Thanks NEC that's all I was saying, and asking the question if there are this amount of players playing the game please tell us the break down of where they are, we all know there are not this amount of people playing especially in competitive leagues hence the amount of games called off, if we had 250,000 that would be fantastic!

#407 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Thanks NEC that's all I was saying, and asking the question if there are this amount of players playing the game please tell us the break down of where they are, we all know there are not this amount of people playing especially in competitive leagues hence the amount of games called off, if we had 250,000 that would be fantastic!

I would imagine it would be an all-time high for the sport as well

#408 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

I bet most clubs have 3 at the most running around and many are run by a one man band fact.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#409 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

I bet most clubs have 3 at the most running around and many are run by a one man band fact.

If you add up all the non-playing personnel that get involved on a matchday at most clubs (including juniors, school sides) then add on the people washing kit etc I'd imagine 250K is about right

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users