408 replies to this topic

#41 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

You have to separate 2 different factors -

Things the RFL/BARLA/Clubs can influence

Things they can't.

We are fighting against societal changes and against competing interests.  So as a sport we are against it from the start.  Add to that the fact we have seen funding slashed and you can see the obvious problems.

I don't think the RFL are perfect, far from it, but I do believe these discussions get too focus on one issue that people believe is a magic bullet that either cures all or kills all.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#42 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

We are bucking the trend in the Nw major growth in registrations and participation but can you find any evidence on any RFL media ?

#43 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

I don't think I am the only one to have mentioned this previously, but surely by restructuring the season slightly and changing when it starts it would make a difference?

A big issue seems to be that although in theory the season starts well for everybody, it starts to tail off from mid June and getting any sort of consistency in squad numbers, players training or playing is a nightmare, which can lead to negativity in a team and does'nt keep enthusiasm at the levels required for all involved, so the start date IMO is very important!

As an example.............

Season starts 1st week September........

August - Pre-season

September - Season Start - Everybody agrees no issues in September and it coincides with the academic calendar, therefore registrations are straightforward.

October - Generally mild/fresh, no issues

November - Nights close in but in general of late, November seems to be a reasonable month weather wise, play first 2-3 weekends then use remainder as free weeks.

December - No fixtures - Free weeks, use to catch up if necessary over first to weekends then go into Christmas/Winter mini break

January - No games

February - Resume allocated fixtures

March - Currently when the season now starts, so no issues to continue with fixtures.

April - Continue playing, obvious bank holidays to contend with.

May - Continue playing, obvious bank holidays to contend with.

June - Use first 2-3 weekends to finish the season before summer break. (Holiday, Music festival, Stag do, BBQ, Wedding, Cricket/Golf/Fishing season is now in full swing)

July - Summer Break - (Holiday, Music festival, Stag do, BBQ, Wedding, Cricket/Golf/Fishing season is now in full swing)

And then back in to August where teams will start to get everybody in, play a few friendlies before we start again in September!!

Not vastly different, but likely to bring about some improvements IMHO  ;)

JUNE, JULY and the first 2 weeks in AUGUST really do not work due to a multitude of issues...........FACT!

Starting March for U16's & U18's does not work as their Academic calendar is coming to a close and they are ready for a break/holiday after exams or moving on to employment etc and as evidence suggests this is when we see the biggest drop off at these two age groups.............so start them in September in line with their school/academic year!!!  :angry:

Edited by LordCharles, 26 June 2014 - 07:08 AM.

#44 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

That is too sensible
I did enter an earlier thread very similar, I said play December, have Jan Feb off but have national Cups for the teams that want games, or Tri Nations, even BARLA tours to Oz, play them in their pre season games, as it is a break train Saturday or Sunday morning so as not needing lights and keeps the clubs ticking over, play the 16 academy games June, July, August, less disruption and a great compromise

#45 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

Why is it that when somebody makes a debatable suggestion it stops the debate, or is the suggestion that credible this is the alternative we should have had instead of the full move to Summer, I think we all admit July and August are the problem months

#46 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,134 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

I'd say play those months but play 2 seasons a year at juniors so you can reshuffle when teams are too strong etc. Open age March to October works, the worst months are when the winter and summer season overlap rather than summer

#47 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

I'd say play those months but play 2 seasons a year at juniors so you can reshuffle when teams are too strong etc. Open age March to October works, the worst months are when the winter and summer season overlap rather than summer

Bowes I have suggested several times before and particularly for the junior and youth game that the format within the league competition needs to allow for adjustment throughout the season.

By playing Sept-Nov/Dec and breaking you could then adjust before resuming from February onwards, but as has already been said, sensible solutions very rarely get reviewed.

#48 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

The March to September may work for the NCL even though a lot complain of less revenue and no consistent team selection and to a lesser extent NWC who out of 60 teams only 10 fixtures appeared to take place in the leagues, meaning 40 had no games and as I stress this is the height of the season when all teams should be playing and before the summer holidays kick in, we have all agreed it is not better playing summer for the increase in Participation that was hoped, most leagues are playing May/June to August and at best a couple of games in September, this is 4 months of the year, meaning no RL for 8 months, our YML entry team are playing May-August, then playing winter

Edited by Defender1, 27 June 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#49 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,134 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

Bowes I have suggested several times before and particularly for the junior and youth game that the format within the league competition needs to allow for adjustment throughout the season.

By playing Sept-Nov/Dec and breaking you could then adjust before resuming from February onwards, but as has already been said, sensible solutions very rarely get reviewed.

I'd say February's the start so it matches the younger age groups and everyone moves up together. Otherwise I agree.

#50 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

Sorry to say not much better this week I am afraid, a few more results in some of the leagues but more PP and 24-0 or 18-0 than last week

#51 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

The clocks altering in October and the Christmas break always had a diminishing effect on player numbers at both training and matchdays when I played in the traditional season, so what makes you think it will be any better now?

If anything it will be worse as players really don't give two hoots about the clubs, leagues, or anything else but themselves. It doesn't matter what time of year you play, they will always just do what they want, when they want

#52 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

Sorry to say not much better this week I am afraid, a few more results in some of the leagues but more PP and 24-0 or 18-0 than last week

NW Mens League has 5 Divisions and only played 17 fixtures in total this weekend.

So out of 60 teams only 34 actually played.

#53 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

DTTRR the point I keep making and nobody seems to want to answer is, the switch to summer was supposed to halt the decline and increase participation please tell me if I am wrong is that not the case. The game was in decline that is why the powers to be thought a switch to summer would change this but it has not or again am I wrong.
I totally agree commitment from players is poor but do we just accept the game is in decline till we have no game (or very little) I have heard the RFL will only be happy with one strong club in each area or more in the larger population areas, this appears to be happening.
The RFL are not daft and switched hoping to make things better, we all agree we have a good product, why has it not grown, what are we going to do or do we just accept this is how it is.
As I have said before the voice of the community game seems to come from the people involved at clubs who are doing well out of this debacle, nobody listens to the smaller clubs who are struggling, or do they really care.

#54 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

NW Mens League has 5 Divisions and only played 17 fixtures in total this weekend.

So out of 60 teams only 34 actually played.

And there were less entry games than the week before

In the Yorkshire Mens League there should have been 11 fixtures and 6 were completed 54% (more entry games this week but they do not count as was pointed out last week)

Edited by Defender1, 30 June 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#55 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

DTTRR the point I keep making and nobody seems to want to answer is, the switch to summer was supposed to halt the decline and increase participation please tell me if I am wrong is that not the case. The game was in decline that is why the powers to be thought a switch to summer would change this but it has not or again am I wrong.
I totally agree commitment from players is poor but do we just accept the game is in decline till we have no game (or very little) I have heard the RFL will only be happy with one strong club in each area or more in the larger population areas, this appears to be happening.
The RFL are not daft and switched hoping to make things better, we all agree we have a good product, why has it not grown, what are we going to do or do we just accept this is how it is.
As I have said before the voice of the community game seems to come from the people involved at clubs who are doing well out of this debacle, nobody listens to the smaller clubs who are struggling, or do they really care.

Halting a decline was never on the agenda, what was the selling point was the numbers playing, watching, administrating would increase.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#56 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

And there were less entry games than the week before

In the Yorkshire Mens League there should have been 11 fixtures and 6 were completed 54% (more entry games this week but they do not count as was pointed out last week)

The entry teams are mainly winter teams on a jolly and normally get a fixture every two weeks.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#57 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

I always maintained that the merit / entry league would promote a CBA attitude seems I could be right .

Lets all go play tick and pass.

Ah well all is ok and we have nothing to worry about everybody is happy and there are no real issues / problems .

It's the Clegg and Cameron syndrome .

/

Edited by TaxiEgg, 01 July 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#58 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:44 AM

The merit league is a huge development tool which has nothing to do with a CBA attitude in formal rugby. The CBA attitude is a complicated mix of societal change, impacts of a flexible labour market, and in some cases I suspect a down-talking of their own product at some clubs (why play at a club in summer if the attitude of some at the club is they don't want to be doing it?)

I also don't think it's just CBA but a sad reality of societal change and the huge 'flexibalisation' of labour markets since the mid 1980s - this is the biggest single issue impacting on player commitment and there is NOTHING the sport can do to counter it other than recognising it and trying to create new playing options - of which merit league rugby is actually a tool!

Just look at who plays merit league rugby - not many would be able to play in formal leagues because they are either development area teams, new sides, or A Teams at clubs who traditionally haven't run A Team sides. Even where a 'traditional' club is running an A Team in a merit league they tend to be clubs who struggled to run a full side in formal leagues in the past (folly lane often conceded A Team fixtures in the old NWC as did Eccles who we often short of numbers and were in/out from one year to next) - what the merit league does is open the door to keeping more involved.

The sniping at merit rugby is unhelpful - we need to be encouraging more to come forward as these forums keep forgetting just how much of "the heartlands" still doesn't have an option for actually playing our sport while we need to grasp every tool we can to keep people involved in the game in an increasingly difficult society to play sport, and our sport in particular.

And it is a stepping stone to formal rugby. Bury, Chester and Mancunians (all areas without RL traditionally) have all used merit rugby as stepping stones into formal leagues. Two of those sides now run regular A Teams (and we both struggled to run one side for years!) using the merit league again as an expansion tool for their club and the game. Rather than knocking it, we need to be embracing it.
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#59 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

Ps. It's not tick and pass either.
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#60 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

The tick and pas was reference to touch rugby Michael .

Merit leagues do have their merits but imo and it is just my opinion ( I DONT LIKE MARMITE DO YOU ? ) it does  foster a  CBA attitude in some cases.

The NWML is becoming a bit of a joke with the number of  games being conceded which brings the integrity of the competition into question.

Edited by TaxiEgg, 02 July 2014 - 06:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users