Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

James Lowes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

gets a 3 yr deal at the Bulls.....i think he,ll need all the luck in the world at that club. Anyone remember his debut for us as a youngstand off at cas in the old 1st div?

Posted Image

#2 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

Should have been Player/Coach at Hunslet years ago

I remember seeing him play stand off in a curtain raiser at Elland Road with Tim Lumb at scrum half, and then going into the First Team dressing room and saying to David Ward we've got 2 good youngsters out there.

#3 Penola

Penola
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

gets a 3 yr deal at the Bulls.....i think he,ll need all the luck in the world at that club. Anyone remember his debut for us as a youngstand off at cas in the old 1st div?

I was at Cas that day. Was that when David Gillespie played?

#4 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

correct mate, Cement played I think either his 1st or 2nd game, I think it was his 2nd his 1st at HKR, Lowes played stand off I think he was 17.That was in the days of contested scrums and I seem to remember even with head and feed we got murdered on the scrum count getting pushed off the ball with the likes of Kevin Ward in their front row, Roy Sampson I seem to remember was our hooker. I think we run them pretty close but got beat in the end mainly through lack of possession.

Posted Image

#5 Sampson for Knighthood

Sampson for Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

Absolutley posivive gillespie's first game was a yorkshire cup game at wheldon road. We lost 32-10 or something very similar to that.

Think coates and irvine got our tries and the big centre from st.george beattie got a couple of tries for cas. Pretty sure plangey was kicking for cas that day too.

Agreed sampson was hooking that day, but cement was the best forward on the pitch that day. Think for cas that day ward, ketteridge, england, bobby lindner and big john fifita all played.

F T Q

Celtic FC - SPL winners 2012/13

#6 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:18 AM

CEMENTS first game for us was at HULL KR.

#7 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

13 September 1987; Yorkshire Cup, Round 1

CASTLEFORD (16) 32 HUNSLET (2) 12 (4,748)

Roockley; Plange, Marchant, Beattie, Kear; Joyner, Southernwood; Shillito, K.Beardmore, Fifita, England, Ward, Lindner. Subs Irwin, Sampson

T: Michael Beattie 2, John Joyner, Kevin Ward, Tony Marchant, David Plange. G: David Plange 4.

Penola; Bell, Coates, Wilkinson, Wilson; Lowes, Irvine; Sykes, Sampson, Bateman, Gillespie, Webb, Platt. Subs Kay, Nickle 

T: Jed Coates, Jimmy Irvine. G: Alan Platt 2.

This game was both Lowes and Gillespie's first game for Hunslet. Gillespie did play in the League game at Hull KR (lost 12-36) but that was almost two months later.

Lowes only made one more appearance in the first team that season.