TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Daniel Vidot - Depressing International RL story

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

I put this on another forum but I think it is worthy of debate here. Vidot apparently loves playing for Samoa and is looking forward to playing in the 4N at the end of the year. However, he has said that if he got a call to play for Queensland in the dead rubber 3rd game next month he would dump Samoa.

This quote was very depressing for those who love International RL.

“But if I got the opportunity to play Origin I would definitely grab it with two hands. I reckon it’s the biggest thing in rugby league, it’s bigger than international footy to be honest."

http://www.foxsports...h-1226965461968

This is additionally disappointing after what has gone on after the World Cup (i.e. pretty much nothing). This will only be the start of players representing countries like Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG thinking 'I can't just wait around for the next 3/4 years hoping for some meaningful internationals.'

#2 jlawton21

jlawton21
  • Players
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:26 AM

I think it's understandable that these players would prefer Origin because, as you say, the follow up from the World Cup has been disappointing.
More meaningful internationals are needed, especially around State of Origin time.

#3 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

To be honest, is it to do with sponsorship too? I bet the SoO guys get more dough than someone turning out for Samoa...

#4 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

To be honest, is it to do with sponsorship too? I bet the SoO guys get more dough than someone turning out for Samoa...

The get A$30,000 for each game of Origin. Possibly around 5% of that to play for Samoa. It is everything about that sort of thing and nothing to do with any desire to play for Australia.

Edited by Scubby, 25 June 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

What is sad that with some real effort from the game, these players could be playing even more games each year in packed out ANZ and Suncorps Stadiums for their countries.

If the Wallabies can play in front of large crowds in Oz, there is no reason why the Kangaroos can't.

This nonsense about England and NZ not being good enough is just that, nonsense, other top international teams in other sports have no issues selling out their games because they are too good!

#6 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

He'll also more than likely be getting a bonus from his club for playing for NSW/Australia which he wouldn't get playing for Samoa.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#7 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

The get A$30,000 for each game of Origin. Possibly around 5% of that to play for Samoa. It is everything about that sort of thing and nothing to do with any desire to play for Australia.

i hadn't even thought about appearance fees - i was thinking sponsorship to be honest

#8 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

What is sad that with some real effort from the game, these players could be playing even more games each year in packed out ANZ and Suncorps Stadiums for their countries.

If the Wallabies can play in front of large crowds in Oz, there is no reason why the Kangaroos can't.

This nonsense about England and NZ not being good enough is just that, nonsense, other top international teams in other sports have no issues selling out their games because they are too good!

It cheeses me off no end Dave but who can blame the kid? Origin is every single year x 3 (that's $90k in appearance money up for grabs). Samoa have a big tournament coming up in October but what then? If Fiji had won the play-off test what would Samoa be doing this autumn or next autumn for that matter? What have Fiji got planned for the next 12 months?

Meanwhile Origin quietly rolls around again and again and again as the biggest show in town. The NRL and particularly C9 love that because it sells itself without any effort and draws massive TV and advertising.

Edited by Scubby, 25 June 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

It cheeses me off no end Dave but who can blame the kid? Origin is every single year x 3 (that's $90k in appearance money up for grabs). Samoa have a big tournament coming up in October but what then? If Fiji had won the play-off test what would Samoa be doing this autumn or next autumn for that matter? What have Fiji got planned for the next 12 months?

Meanwhile Origin quietly rolls around again and again and again as the biggest show in town. The NRL and particularly C9 love that because it sells itself without any effort and draws massive TV and advertising.

I agree mate, it's not so much the players (although the Players Union issues are a joke) it's the game as a whole.

#10 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

Its just as sad that people within the game act as if this is just how it is, International rugby is small potatoes compared to SOO and thats that. No comment about how big the International game could be, or how we go about growing the game, or any out cry for more International games etc.

We've got an Englishman in charge of the International game (apparently he's in charge), yet still nothing gets done. The growth of International game is run by the NRL and its TV partners.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#11 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

He is a Samoan "Heritage player" though.

I am not saying its right or wrong or what his motivation is, but he was born in Brisbane and as such he is Australian.

Many Australians have a heritage from elsewhere as its a country of migrants.

It highlights the heritage player issue where Australia, NZ and to a lesser degree England stack International teams with Heritage players.

Most Australian heritage players will play for the country of their parents or grandparents (whatever the ruling is) because as youngsters they believe they will not make the State or Kangaroo Teams, it may not be where their loyalty lies and they may feel 100% Australian, they should do.

The whole system has issues and its not the fault of the players and the way the system stands Australia can call up Australian born players to their Rep squads.

Edited by boxhead, 25 June 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#12 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

He is a Samoan "Heritage player" though.

I am not saying its right or wrong or what his motivation is, but he was born in Brisbane and as such he is Australian.

Many Australians have a heritage from elsewhere as its a country of migrants.

It highlights the heritage player issue where Australia, NZ and to a lesser degree England stack International teams with Heritage players.

Most Australian heritage players will play for the country of their parents or grandparents (whatever the ruling is) because as youngsters they believe they will not make the State or Kangaroo Teams, it may not be where their loyalty lies and they may feel 100% Australian, they should do.

The whole system has issues and its not the fault of the players and the way the system stands Australia can call up Australian born players to their Rep squads.

But this is a guy who has play 6 tests for Samoa in the last 8 months including one just 8 weeks ago. Vidot played in the Samoa-Fiji test in May and scored a try. This was the same game that Milford decided not to play in because he was worried that not playing for Qld U20s would hurt his Origin chances.

Now is Vidot even eligible for Australia (and Origin) any more because he played test football for another nation this year? Is Milford still eligible for Samoa in the autumn because he hasn't played for anyone?

It is just one disgraceful mess and no-one seems to know the rules or be prepared to stick to them.

#13 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

But this is a guy who has play 6 tests for Samoa in the last 8 months including one just 8 weeks ago. Vidot played in the Samoa-Fiji test in May and scored a try. This was the same game that Milford decided not to play in because he was worried that not playing for Qld U20s would hurt his Origin chances.

Now is Vidot even eligible for Australia (and Origin) any more because he played test football for another nation this year? Is Milford still eligible for Samoa in the autumn because he hasn't played for anyone?

It is just one disgraceful mess and no-one seems to know the rules or be prepared to stick to them.

I don't know the answers Scubby.

The eligibility rules seem murky and flexible.

I do know its complicated when you have such disparity between Nations both in wealth and players and you try and build the International Test teams based in a substantial way using heritage players.

They have already tightened the regulations regarding overseas players being eligible for SOO but how do you bar Aussies from being selected if they have been encouraged in some cases to play for Test teams they have little connection with other than ancestry?

If you lock Australian born players into a one Test Country Rep choice I am certain you will see a massive drop in heritage players.

Edited by boxhead, 25 June 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#14 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

I don't have a problem with heritage players, just how people within the game pick and chose which rules to implement/ignore depending on what suits them at the time. What happened to the "2 year sit out rule"? where a player couldn't play/be considered for another International team he qualifies for unless he sits out of games for 2 years.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#15 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

I don't know the answers Scubby.

I do know it complicated when you have such disparity between Nations both in wealth and players and you try and build the International Test teams based in a substantial  way using  heritage players.

If you lock Australian born players into a one Test Country Rep choice I am certain you will see a massive drop in heritage players.

You may see a big drop in 19-22 year-olds like Milford and Tupou committing for a few years but you may also get players putting their hands up for World Cups knowing that is it. Soliola is arguably still good enough for the Kiwis but chose to stick with Samoa. This all bets are off musical chairs for World Cup year, while convenient to bolster squads, just adds to the confusion.

So what would you suggest for Radrandra then? It is obvious NSW will want him in the mix as soon as he becomes eligible through residency. Unfortunately, they can't have him because he came here when he was over 13 but he could play test football for Australia in a year's time. If he suddenly becomes a world beater you will get the Blues moving heaven and earth to suddenly tweak the rules yet again to get a jersey on him I would imagine.

#16 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

There is a fair few things involved with that Mike including World Cup Cycles.

In this case he is not being selected for the Kangaroos just QLD.

He may have to make himself available for Kangaroo selection but its highly unlikely he would be selected for this years Four Nations

Its a mess.....

#17 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

There is a fair few things involved with that Mike including World Cup Cycles.

In this case he is not being selected for the Kangaroos just QLD.

He may have to make himself available for Kangaroo selection but its highly unlikely he would be selected for this years Four Nations

Its a mess.....

A World Cup cycle doesn't include the May test against Fiji though? So under RLIF rules he is ineligible to play for Australia for 2 years and therefore not qualified to represent Queensland.

#18 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

You may see a big drop in 19-22 year-olds like Milford and Tupou committing for a few years but you may also get players putting their hands up for World Cups knowing that is it. Soliola is arguably still good enough for the Kiwis but chose to stick with Samoa. This all bets are off musical chairs for World Cup year, while convenient to bolster squads, just adds to the confusion.

So what would you suggest for Radrandra then? It is obvious NSW will want him in the mix as soon as he becomes eligible through residency. Unfortunately, they can't have him because he came here when he was over 13 but he could play test football for Australia in a year's time. If he suddenly becomes a world beater you will get the Blues moving heaven and earth to suddenly tweak the rules yet again to get a jersey on him I would imagine.

Not sure if Soliola would get anywhere near the Kiwi squad to be honest.

If Radrada qualifies next year then as an Australian resident those are the rules, I don't really agree with it on one hand but its not like he was targeted to play for the Kangaroos or NSW.

Is it any different than Rangi Chase? although he came from a pro NRL club before moving to England where Semi didn't.

Its not straight forward is it?

#19 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

A World Cup cycle doesn't include the May test against Fiji though? So under RLIF rules he is ineligible to play for Australia for 2 years and therefore not qualified to represent Queensland.

I don't know.

He would think he could play for a State team if he met their criteria which would be being available to be selected for the Kangaroos and there would be no issue unless he was selected before his "quarantine" was over.

I really don't know, I am starting to tire of the whole International game and its lack of ambition in either hemisphere.

It seems that the two factors that really hurt the International side of the game was the switch in seasons in the North and perhaps in Australia the Super League Wars.

#20 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

Not sure if Soliola would get anywhere near the Kiwi squad to be honest.

If Radrada qualifies next year then as an Australian resident those are the rules, I don't really agree with it on one hand but its not like he was targeted to play for the Kangaroos or NSW.

Is it any different than Rangi Chase? although he came from a pro NRL club before moving to England where Semi didn't.

Its not straight forward is it?

Not straightforward at all - it should be a diploma course in itself! But under the rules even when qualifying for Australia Radrandra can never play Origin. As I said, if he suddenly develops into one of the World's best (which is not beyond the realms) NSW will move heaven and earth to bend the rules again - you can guarantee it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users