Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ade Gardner to switch codes?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,377 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

He wants to play for Brazil in the Olympics.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

I think the Beeb is saying he is keen to change codes when it doesn't look like he has said any such thing. Is there a ban on RL players being picked for the olympic sevens?

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

He should get in touch with Latin Heat and play for them!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

I just saw the video on the BBC site and he says (not verbatim) "I got in touch with them over there to mention I would be available, looking for a free holiday more than anything"

#5 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

Not sure how popular union is over in Brazil, though i know the world sevens is scheduled to be played there the year before the Olympics, though more to drive the sport to the uninitiated as it nears inclusion in the Olympics the following year. That and the fact Brazil is one of the major emerging markets, so theres money to be made there (despite the abject poverty in parts of the country, bit like India). Luckily for union, they have the money and foresight to do such things.

Two things we lack.

Good luck to Ade Gardner if he does make it into their Olympic squad.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#6 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Dont think he is one that would be welcomed back

#7 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Dont think he is one that would be welcomed back

He's not leaving just trying to get a cameo gig at the Olympics for his country of heritage. Do you read anything before posting?

Edited by Scubby, 25 June 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#8 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

I for one would not begrudge anyone a chance to be invovled in the olympics AND get a free jolly to Rio.

#9 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

A few years back I heard that my old PE teacher had ended up in Brazil as coach to their union team. There must be worse jobs in the world! 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#10 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,823 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

There is actually scope for a rugby league player to get in the GB 7s squad.  If it were the commonwealth games then the individual associations would just choose their current 7s squads but because it's going to have to be a GB-wide effort it will be an independent coach choosing the squad.  I see nothing wrong with a rugby league player having a few weeks off to go play 7s then coming straight back to his RL club.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#11 7723

• Coach
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

There is actually scope for a rugby league player to get in the GB 7s squad.  If it were the commonwealth games then the individual associations would just choose their current 7s squads but because it's going to have to be a GB-wide effort it will be an independent coach choosing the squad.  I see nothing wrong with a rugby league player having a few weeks off to go play 7s then coming straight back to his RL club.

It would be nice for the players but how many clubs would really be willing to let players go. I doubt any would.

#12 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

Its looks like the players can come and go as they please nowadays games becoming a joke

#13 7723

• Coach
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

Its looks like the players can come and go as they please nowadays games becoming a joke

How is it becoming a joke? If a players contract is up no one can stop him leaving, if he wants to leave and a team gets some money for him, great. If he wants to come back and someone wants to sign him then fair play. Don't see a problem myself. It's just a job at the end of the day.

#14 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Who is going where?

If he goes and plays in the olympics for two weeks, fair dos.

I actually think that it should be encouraged - it'd be tough to schedule in a two week SL break, but it'd give us a chance to show off the RL boys compared with the RU boys without getting bogged down in real rucking and mauling...

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,823 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Why shouldn't they?  A professional RL player will probably have about 5-6 years maximum at top earning capacity, following their lower income as a younger player and reducing earnings in their last couple of seasons, and even then only if he's one of 2-3 in a squad who a club will stretch for.  90%+ of professional RL players will earn less than a middle manager in a moderately sized company.  All for a career that can end in one poorly timed hit or slip snapping a ligament on a greasy pitch or even just slipping down the stairs at home.  Then you have the inevitability that most professional players will have long-term complications from joint injuries, muscle problems, concussion issues, mental health issues or so on.

If a professional player can earn more money to extend his career or provide for his retirement then you have to be a particular sort of pedant or **** to begrudge him that.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#16 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Who is going where?

If he goes and plays in the olympics for two weeks, fair dos.

I actually think that it should be encouraged - it'd be tough to schedule in a two week SL break, but it'd give us a chance to show off the RL boys compared with the RU boys without getting bogged down in real rucking and mauling...

What would be your reaction if say five players from the club you supported decided to go

#17 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Like I say, I think there should be a break in SL that year. Then I'd be more than happy. Good for them. Represent their nation at the olympics? Who wouldn't want to.

Admittedly, if there wasn't a break it'd irk a little, but still - I think I could understand their choice.

#18 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

Why shouldn't they? A professional RL player will probably have about 5-6 years maximum at top earning capacity, following their lower income as a younger player and reducing earnings in their last couple of seasons, and even then only if he's one of 2-3 in a squad who a club will stretch for. 90%+ of professional RL players will earn less than a middle manager in a moderately sized company. All for a career that can end in one poorly timed hit or slip snapping a ligament on a greasy pitch or even just slipping down the stairs at home. Then you have the inevitability that most professional players will have long-term complications from joint injuries, muscle problems, concussion issues, mental health issues or so on.

If a professional player can earn more money to extend his career or provide for his retirement then you have to be a particular sort of pedant or **** to begrudge him that.

Dont think he would earn much money playing in that circus but if thats the attitude of players no wonder the game is on its knees there was more loyalty when it was part time

#19 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

Like I say, I think there should be a break in SL that year. Then I'd be more than happy. Good for them. Represent their nation at the olympics? Who wouldn't want to.

Admittedly, if there wasn't a break it'd irk a little, but still - I think I could understand their choice.

so you're saying the SL should take a break so it's players can go play a different sport

#20 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

Lionheart has to be on a wind up.. seriously.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users