Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tour De France - Yorkshire

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#1 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Am thinking of going to see this at some point - probably the Saturday stage

Trying to get an idea of how large an event it actually going to be and whats the likelihood of just being able to turn up to any point on the stage. Signs have gone up on the M6 stating long delays east over the 2 days

Think Skipton will be busy as its possible to base yourself there for 2 nights and see both the Saturday and Sunday stages

Was thinking of trying to get to one of the climbs on Saturday - where's best? 

#2 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

Staying in Holmfirth over that weekend, accommodation arranged six months ago. probably watching in Thongsbridge. Many roads will be closed -see local press for details. Vehicular travel near route will be virtually impossible and long walk will be the order of the day. Organisers expecting spectators in Holme valley to number hundreds of thousands.

#3 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Let's see if I've got this right.
Your proposing to go and stand on the side of the road to watch a group of men go cycling past you in brightly coloured Lycra?
You are going to travel X distance to watch 30 seconds worth of cyclists huff and puff past you?
Mmmm"...........seems strange to me. Still everyone to their own.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,301 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

Let's see if I've got this right.
Your proposing to go and stand on the side of the road to watch a group of men go cycling past you in brightly coloured Lycra?
You are going to travel X distance to watch 30 seconds worth of cyclists huff and puff past you?
Mmmm"...........seems strange to me. Still everyone to their own.

It's not much of a spectator sport but it's not 30 seconds. I saw part of a stage yonks ago in France and it took over an hour for everyone to come past.

#5 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

I'll be in Harrogate for stage one and Silsden for stage two

#6 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

Pubs are open at seven in Leeds on the saturday

#7 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Anyone thinking of going up to the top of Buttertubs Pass?
Its a decent climb so should be a good spectacle at the top
Now looking for ways to get in there with the wife and dog in tow. Could be an early start and a long walk in.
Have emailed a couple of farms that are offering parking

#8 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

Holme Moss for us two

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

Seeing as I can't be arsed googling it, can anyone tell me if it is going near Sowerby Bridge on Saturday 5th July? I have to work that day and don't want to get caught out. Ta

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

Holme Moss for us two

Set off after Saturdays game then, if what I am being told is right. We're going to the game, then to Holmfirth overnight...but it's a long walk to the top!

#11 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

Staying in Holmfirth over that weekend, accommodation arranged six months ago. probably watching in Thongsbridge. Many roads will be closed -see local press for details. Vehicular travel near route will be virtually impossible and long walk will be the order of the day. Organisers expecting spectators in Holme valley to number hundreds of thousands.

Apparently it is expected there will be c. 60,000 spectators on Holme Moss.

#12 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:30 AM

I postponed my visit home because of this event.Not that I have anything against the tour , I just think my home town will be a bit congested for a few days
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:05 AM

60,002 since AMH has said they are going there.

#14 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:07 AM

60,002 since AMH has said they are going there.

We're doing similar to you - the game then hoping his lad will give us a lift up there at some ungodly hour - beer blanket and 60,000 bodies to keep us warm - we're not paying the prices they're charging to camp on official sites. 

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:19 AM

We're staying with friends ( yes, I know, but it's true!) next door to where we used to live..ex Head of Greenhead College years ago. He tells us of many road closures in the Valley ...suggests parking well up on greenfield road and walking across! Examiner publishes details of road closures, it seems.

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:30 AM

http://www.examiner....re-2014-7320218

#17 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

Which is one reason we won't be joining them. Done the whole waiting for hours on an Alpine pass thing. We're off to the spectator hub in Sheffield on the Sunday.

The climb up Jenkin Road in Sheffield could be interesting. The gradient maxes out at 33%. Might not be a lot of room on the pavement for spectators though.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#18 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

Seeing as I can't be arsed googling it, can anyone tell me if it is going near Sowerby Bridge on Saturday 5th July? I have to work that day and don't want to get caught out. Ta

No it isn't, though roads in the area are likely to be very busy and will be closed at 6.30am Sunday morning.

I'm planning on walking up to somewhere around the top of Cock Hill (between Oxenhope & Hebden Bridge) to watch, as it means I won't need to consider trying to move the car.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#19 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:28 PM

Also thinking of taking my alu step ladders....seriously!

So I can see over folks in front and I can sit on the platform.

Edited by JohnM, 27 June 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

double post

Edited by JohnM, 28 June 2014 - 05:54 AM.