Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tour De France - Yorkshire

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#181 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

I don't think the course Bradley Wiggins won on was tailor-made for him. He won because he has great talent, a great squad to support him and a back-up team that combined Sky money and olympic training and nutrition expertise.

Other teams have caught up on the Sky training regimes and Bradley has got a bit older and a lot richer.

When I watched the interview where he said he's finished with the road, it wasn't said with as much bitterness that came across when it was initially published in bald newsprint. He is just facing the facts that he is extremely unlikely to win one of the three major tours any more and others will be selected before him. When he pulled rank and declared himself for the one-day spring classics, he fared worse than Sky, or he, expected.

He can't have been completely cheesed off at Sky because he has reportedly signed a new contract.

In order to revert to track cycling, he needs a different musculature. That's the main reason why he's saying goodbye to the road. It will also give him more time to exploit his commercial interests and more time at home with his family.

Bradley Wiggins got thousands of Britons interested in cycling and taking it up to keep fit.

Good luck to him on the track.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#182 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

Most likely a sprint finish today.

Come on Andre!

Failing that, Degenkolb

#183 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

Most likely a sprint finish today.

Come on Andre!
Failing that, Degenkolb

Sagan

#184 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

Please no.

Mind you, it's chucking it down so Andre probably won't pull out all the stops.

It's a brave bloke who admits that he is struggling to risk everything after he had a bad crash earlier this season.

#185 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

Sagan's crashed 3km out from the finish. It's going to be messy at the line.

#186 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

Lone winner in Navardauskas. The sprinters decided against hunting him down at full pelt in heavy rain.

#187 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Lone winner in Navardauskas. The sprinters decided against hunting him down at full pelt in heavy rain.

Id be reluctant too with Paris only two days away. More glory in winning in Paris than hunting Navardauskas down today in poor weather

#188 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

True; good luck to the lad though and also good for his Garmin team, who are losing their sponsor.

Sagan has signed for Saxo Tinkoff. Next year, they'll be awesome.

#189 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

Going for the one and only Tony Martin today

#190 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Geraint for me

#191 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

You were right. :)

#192 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Mrs JohnM and I currently in Paris for Sundays procession and the women' race - La Course par Le Tour De France. Light rain forecast anything from 2 pm to 5 pm or later. France celebrating 2 on the podium...not mentioning how different things would have been with Froome and Contador etc., though that's how it is. "bad" tour for Sky, though.

Edited by JohnM, 26 July 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#193 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

Mrs JohnM and I currently in Paris for Sundays procession and the women' race - La Course par Le Tour De France. Light rain forecast anything from 2 pm to 5 pm or later. France celebrating 2 on the podium...not mentioning how different things would have been with Froome and Contador etc., though that's how it is. "bad" tour for Sky, though.

As they say, you can only beat what's in front of you but the loss of Froome, Contador and to a lesser extent, Cavendish, has killed the race for me.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the day regardless. We were on the Place de la Concorde for the finale four years ago in baking heat. It's one of my fondest memories.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#194 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

As they say, you can only beat what's in front of you but the loss of Froome, Contador and to a lesser extent, Cavendish, has killed the race for me.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the day regardless. We were on the Place de la Concorde for the finale four years ago in baking heat. It's one of my fondest memories.

I was at the centenary Tour in 2003, stood for 9 hours in the same spot on the Champs-Élysées, saw very little but loved every moment!

LUNEW.jpg

#195 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

Just got back to hotel after a great day out. Arrived at Tuillerie Gardens at 11.30... Had our own folding chairs but didn't need them as there were plenty In the gardens. Hardly anyone there at that time so got a great location looking along the road and looking down on the road from about 10 ft. up. Marked our places with our chairs and used the parks chair under the shade trees behind. Even when the race arrived, there was no mad rush, no sharp elbows. Got talking to others...A Peruvian family (odd...as I was reading a book about motorcycling in Peru), a French family from Paris (who had heard of Les Cats and rugby a trieze), some Spanish girls, and some Yorkshire people, Americans and more, great fun was had with the gendarmes throwing discarded bidons into the crowd.

As usual with the tour, a distinct lack of info. about what was happening, but with 9 laps, and visibility of the race for over 400 metres, got plenty of time to watch. Being not so close you could also avoid the feeling of them just rushing past in seconds. Now got lots of photos to work on, plus one bit of video. Got areal insight into how these guys ride. L'Ange, you'd have loved it!

The women's crit. passed without any info at all, you just had to guess what was happening...Wiggle Honda were there though.

Edited by JohnM, 27 July 2014 - 11:46 PM.

#196 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,251 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:21 AM

https://www.facebook...?type=1

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#197 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,083 posts