Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tour De France - Yorkshire

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#201 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

The fight. I think they took up the right sport.

http://www.theguardi...la-vuelta-fight

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#202 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,866 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

Would love to know what sparked that off,it was the OPQS riders first grand tour as a neo-pro, a bit of youthful exuberance? Sad to hear about the death of a moto rider at the Vuelta. Froome looked like he's getting back to his best and Contador is unbeatable.
Fides invicta triumphat

#203 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

Great race today. Edoardo Zardini, a relatively unknown young Italian rider broke away on the final climb and none of the fancied riders could get near him. He now takes the yellow jersey.

I feel sorry for David Lopez of Sky. He could have finished first or second but followed team orders and dropped back to help Bradley Wiggins who was struggling on the climb.

Wiggins owes his team a big effort in the remaining stages.

#204 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:18 AM

Tour of Britain in Worcester today.  I was in the city centre at the weekend, there wasn't any noticeable sign of this event taking place which is a real shame.

#205 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:08 PM

Tour of Britain in Worcester today.  I was in the city centre at the weekend, there wasn't any noticeable sign of this event taking place which is a real shame.

Enough about your band, what about the cycling?

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#206 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

Bradley Wiggins owed it to his team to at least try to break clear in the last kilometre yesterday and pull back some seconds on the leader in the Tour of Britain. He never bothered.

He reckons he wants to ride the Spring Classics next year. Well he led the Sky team in one this year, pulling rank on Geraint Thomas, and then had nothing to offer at the business end of the race.

He's past it at the elite level and he ought to admit it.

#207 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

Bradley Wiggins owed it to his team to at least try to break clear in the last kilometre yesterday and pull back some seconds on the leader in the Tour of Britain. He never bothered.

He reckons he wants to ride the Spring Classics next year. Well he led the Sky team in one this year, pulling rank on Geraint Thomas, and then had nothing to offer at the business end of the race.

He's past it at the elite level and he ought to admit it.

Heart hasnt seemed in it since he won the tour. Seems to be biding his time before he can get back on the track.

#208 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

Heart hasnt seemed in it since he won the tour. Seems to be biding his time before he can get back on the track.

I think he was dismayed after his 2012 successes that Brailsford moved his attention to Froome and that he wasn't going to be able to defend his TdF title. Froome has hardly lit up the cycling world since his TdF victory (although he's rescuing his year a bit in the Vuelta) but Sky don't really have another GC contender to move on to now so they'll stick with him.

LUNEW.jpg

#209 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

Wiggins won't ride another grand tour. Froome has had a good season. He has won the Tour of Oman and the Tour of Romandie, plus the points jersey in the Dauphine.

NB: I am not a Froome fan. Great rider, but about as British as Zola Budd.

#210 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

I think he was dismayed after his 2012 successes that Brailsford moved his attention to Froome and that he wasn't going to be able to defend his TdF title. Froome has hardly lit up the cycling world since his TdF victory (although he's rescuing his year a bit in the Vuelta) but Sky don't really have another GC contender to move on to now so they'll stick with him.

Was still well in the race when he crashed out of the tour. Doubt he'd have beaten Nibali but would have been an epic fight in the mountains with Nibali, Froome, Contador and a fit Purito.

#211 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

Wiggins won't ride another grand tour. Froome has had a good season. He has won the Tour of Oman and the Tour of Romandie, plus the points jersey in the Dauphine.

NB: I am not a Froome fan. Great rider, but about as British as Zola Budd.

Wiggins was a great time trial rider. But with Tony Martin on the road I dont see a role for Wiggins. Froome is a much better GC rider and theres no mercy out there for former champions between the GC teams as Purito found out when he crashef in the Giro and Cadel Evans attacked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users