Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tour De France - Yorkshire

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#21 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:05 AM

Anyone thinking of going up to the top of Buttertubs Pass?
Its a decent climb so should be a good spectacle at the top
Now looking for ways to get in there with the wife and dog in tow. Could be an early start and a long walk in.
Have emailed a couple of farms that are offering parking

that's my neck of the woods.

Local campsite has 1500 tents booked in. We're expecting 20,000+ in and around the tubs (Tour organisers figures). Road closed from 6pm Friday but we're expecting severe problems from Wednesday evening onwards as most people are booked in from Thurs. We have a 3 day festival in Muker alongside the campsite at Usha Gap which has sold 3,000 tickets so the bottom end of the tubs (where I live) is going to be heaving.

Fortunately we have 4 police officers drafted in staying in a local hotel, so if there's a problem at least there's someone to wave their arms around.

What I can tell you is that you will not be allowed to park your car anywhere along the route so if you do park expect to be there a long time.

Edited by Ackroman, 28 June 2014 - 07:06 AM.

#22 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

I will be watching it just outside Haworth. On Penistone hill.

#23 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

Were going up Thursday for a cycling/music/food festival on the route. Riding the route on Friday and watching the two stages over the weekend. The roads will be a nightmare on Saturday and Sunday.

To those who don't think it's much of a spectacle, you are so wrong. Give it a go.
Fides invicta triumphat

#24 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

that's my neck of the woods.

Local campsite has 1500 tents booked in. We're expecting 20,000+ in and around the tubs (Tour organisers figures). Road closed from 6pm Friday but we're expecting severe problems from Wednesday evening onwards as most people are booked in from Thurs. We have a 3 day festival in Muker alongside the campsite at Usha Gap which has sold 3,000 tickets so the bottom end of the tubs (where I live) is going to be heaving.

Fortunately we have 4 police officers drafted in staying in a local hotel, so if there's a problem at least there's someone to wave their arms around.

What I can tell you is that you will not be allowed to park your car anywhere along the route so if you do park expect to be there a long time.

Thanks for the info
Can't get off work early on Friday or at all, so it may have to be a campsite - some are still offering places (unless there aren't up to date of course)
Had email from Hawes Auction Mart and they stil have parkng spaces, but have to be there before 6am
Sounded the wife out about sleeping a while in her estate car if its an overnight but not on a campsite - its a Passat and we aren't tall - but the reply was a no. Hmmm
The Muker Festival looks good and still has spaces
Weather looks as though it will turn downhill Thursday which will affect the decision whether we camp or not

#25 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

Was in Liège in 2012 for the prologue. Great fun, really good event to be a part of and because they were doing a very short time trial around the city it made for good viewing and you got a good sense of the result/competition. Whether I'd be so excited about seeing them whizz past once when they've got 100 or 200 more miles to go, I'm less sure.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#26 clowesey

clowesey
  • Coach
  • 696 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

Holme Moss for us two

Me too. Going up Saturday night and stopping about 2/3rds of the way up. Just me and a sleeping bag since camping is outlawed.

Going to Leeds in the morning and onwards to Holmfirth in the afternoon and trekking up the hill early evening.

if we miss each other when only a few yards away, I don't hold out much hope at weekend

Edited by clowesey, 30 June 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#27 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

You could always watch the stage as it sweeps into Lancashire - the junction of the A58 and B6138 at Blackstone Edge Reservoir - after the climb from Mytholmroyd (allegedly the longest continuous climb in England). The junction is a sharp bend which will slow the race down and allow plenty of time for viewing.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#28 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

Tour de France in Littleborough
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#29 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Great article

http://s.telegraph.c...solo/index.html

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

Seeing the name "Ken Russell" in the link made me wonder a bit!

Great story though.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#31 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Me too. Going up Saturday night and stopping about 2/3rds of the way up. Just me and a sleeping bag since camping is outlawed.

Going to Leeds in the morning and onwards to Holmfirth in the afternoon and trekking up the hill early evening.

if we miss each other when only a few yards away, I don't hold out much hope at weekend

We're doing the same , so a group hug to keep warm is on the cards - I'll pm my mobile so we can make sure this time :)

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#32 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

Truck loads of equipment and support vehicles rolled into Hull this morning off the Zeebrugge ferry. They'd even brought the gendarmerie with them.

P&O are expecting large numbers of fans to arrive on the Zeebrugge and Rotterdam ferries over the next few days.

Apparently they are also expecting several grumpy Yorkshire folk heading in the opposite direction.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#33 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Just done the Costco shop for the weekend. Now I just have to work out how to fit that plus our 9 man tent, 6 chairs, three cool boxes, four rucksacks, bedding, three bikes, bike stand, tools etc into car. Getting a bit excited now.
Fides invicta triumphat

#34 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

I was a bit miffed when the route was announced and it completely bypassed Bradford proper, now I count it as a blessing!

I hope it all goes well and everyone has a good time, but I'm absolutely at ease with it being far enough away that it shouldn't cause chaos and I can saunter to the Bulls in peace. Typical NIMBY. :biggrin:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#35 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

The Tour does cause traffic chaos, but by the very nature of the event, it doesn't last very long in one particular area.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#36 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

Planning where to watch it tonight,if you see a bloke dressed as Obelix and a boy dressed as Asterix,come and say hello.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#37 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

Truck loads of equipment and support vehicles rolled into Hull this morning off the Zeebrugge ferry. They'd even brought the gendarmerie with them.

P&O are expecting large numbers of fans to arrive on the Zeebrugge and Rotterdam ferries over the next few days.

Apparently they are also expecting several grumpy Yorkshire folk heading in the opposite direction.

Youngest got very excited last night when he saw the Astana team bus and mechanics van on the outskirts of Leeds.

#38 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

Planning where to watch it tonight,if you see a bloke dressed as Obelix and a boy dressed as Asterix,come and say hello.

Marvellous

Youngest got very excited last night when he saw the Astana team bus and mechanics van on the outskirts of Leeds.

Getting exciting now innit?

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#39 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

Marvellous

Getting exciting now innit?

There's a real buzz about it all,Tour De France Soundtracks on repeat in the car!

#40 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

Car packed and about to set off for the campsite near Kilnsey. Will be watching stage 1 at Kidstone pass and stage 2 at Blubberhouses.
Fides invicta triumphat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users