TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

A Letter from Ian Watson to the fans

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

Can now be seen on the club website.

Riggy

#2 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

A great letter. In response Id like to say thank you to Ian for the years of entertainment and effort. A top player and coach and good luck in the future.

#3 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

I agree that it is an excellent letter and sums everything up very well.  Thanks again Ian for your dedicated efforts with the Lions and every best wish for a successful and rewarding time at Salford. 

#4 mike the lion

mike the lion
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

I cannot understand why Salford want Watto now,at this moment in time,Why the urgency to have him now ?

Salford are not likely to be in the top eight or in danger of relegation and Watto`s appointment of only Assistant Coach is hardly likely to have any immediate impact on player performance.He main role seems to be with the U19`s. 

Surely this appointment could have been completed at the end of this season.

Maybe I`m being cynical here but do Salford want us to fail in avoiding the drop?

#5 honest tryer

honest tryer
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

I cannot understand why Salford want Watto now,at this moment in time,Why the urgency to have him now ?

Salford are not likely to be in the top eight or in danger of relegation and Watto`s appointment of only Assistant Coach is hardly likely to have any immediate impact on player performance.He main role seems to be with the U19`s.
Surely this appointment could have been completed at the end of this season.

Maybe I`m being cynical here but do Salford want us to fail in avoiding the drop?

#6 honest tryer

honest tryer
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

I fully agree with the comments of Mike the lion.Having said that, good luck Watto, on you're new job!

#7 mickburkes boots

mickburkes boots
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

Great letter good luck Ian, I remember my son being a mascot at widnes and coming onto the field with his boyhood hero Ian Watson he was great with him as an 11year rugby fanatic, to think nearly 12 yrs on he had the honour to play along side him as a player himself is incredible and learn so much as a player of Ians calibre, thanks Ian

#8 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:14 AM

Top guy who has been a thrill to watch and a great example to competitors in all sports.
Looks like an opportunity that could not be turned down. Good luck with it Ian, and thanks for your time at the Lions.
PS - aren't we likely to be playing Salford in the second part of next season? I can't quite remember what the RFL dreamt up for next year.....was it teams drawn from a bag with some balls from the fridge and some from the oven?!

#9 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

Best wishes Ian.

A great rugby career and a great servant to our club.

#10 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

I too agree with Mike the Lion's comments but what is done is done. I also wish Ian Watson all the very best at Salford. My earliest recollections of Ian Watson was when I was taking my Level 2 Coaching Qualification and several then Salford Colts / Academy players were roped into our coaching session so we ( the prospective coaches) could work with a range of ages. Well I remember Ian Watson's tenacious tackling when he took part in a tackling drill I organised, he simply battered everyone in the pool, some big lads as well, very impressive at the time,  I guess Ian was probably 16 or 17 at the time..............:)

#11 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

It's sad that Ian hasn't had a proper chance to say goodbye to the fans with a proper 'final' match. I wouldn't mind him playing on Sunday against Town! Anyway, good luck to him, he's been brilliant for the Lions and instrumental in getting a team on the pitch at the start of the season. I'm sure it wont be the last time he's involved with the Lions.

#12 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

Ian Watson. I think he should go down as one of the Swinton greats. I considered he was mainly responsible for us gaining promotion. He was our main play maker for years from which nearly all our moves developed. I do not blame him for going as assistant coach to Salford, in any world I think anyone would move which in such circumstances appears  to improve their career. It is unfortunate that Salford came in for him at this stage. I hope he returns to the Lions having gained more experience. Thanks Ian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users