Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

27/06/14 - Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wigan Warriors (6 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. St Helens (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:14 PM

And that red colour in their strip - it's the worst red in the league - and they get away with year after year. And don't get me started on the way they look at the opposition in a funny way - both sardonic and sarcastic. THEY SHOULD BE BANNED! :)

#122 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

http://www.loverugby..._medium=twitter

So after Wane labelled Nathan Brown's comments as 'garbage', refuting claims that he influences referee with his constant whinging, he's today rather ironically launched an attack on Ben Thaler.

He claims that Burgess's disallowed try, correctly wiped off for a blatant double movement, in fact should have stood and was only disallowed because it was Thaler making the call. Funny how he thinks that Brown shouldn't be allowed to say things, yet seemingly thinks that he himself should be allowed to get away with bagging a referee for daring to (correctly) give a decision against his team.

He may be a very good coach, but how many times is this man going to embarrass himself? He just looks like a complete fool, not to mention a hypocrite.

Edited by MrFussy, 30 June 2014 - 12:51 PM.

#123 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

TBF Fussy, while I disagree with Wane (I briefly thought the Burgess double movement was a try until I realised that the arm holding him was underneath him, no try was definitely the correct decision) if he wants to spout off to the media I don't mind. There's two reasons for this. firstly it usually gets the game as a whole the odd column inch or two extra, which is something everyone agrees we lack and is infinitely more reportable than Maguire's bland media statements which all started "awwww y'know" and secondly it fires the opposition up. Something even as a Wigan supporter I don't mind.

#124 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

TBF Fussy, while I disagree with Wane (I briefly thought the Burgess double movement was a try until I realised that the arm holding him was underneath him, no try was definitely the correct decision) if he wants to spout off to the media I don't mind. There's two reasons for this. firstly it usually gets the game as a whole the odd column inch or two extra, which is something everyone agrees we lack and is infinitely more reportable than Maguire's bland media statements which all started "awwww y'know" and secondly it fires the opposition up. Something even as a Wigan supporter I don't mind.

Fair comment, it does seem like there are few dull moments with Wane around. If he's going behave like this though, then it's no good him acting outraged when he gets called out for it.

#125 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

Fair comment, it does seem like there are few dull moments with Wane around. If he's going behave like this though, then it's no good him acting outraged when he gets called out for it.

:) keeps things entertaining even if he looks like a hypocrite... you  need to remind yourself of how dull Maguires post match interviews were."aaaaw look" (I'm feeling drowsy just remembering... zzzzzzz)

#126 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

I think the exchange between the coaches and the moaning has been fun.  It all adds to the spice of the derby, which has been lacking in spice recently mainly because Brown has been so naff in all his responses to it.  (Hopefully that has now changed)

I'm not at all surprised that Wane has criticised Thaler.  He just can't help himself as he hates his team losing to Saints, especially legitimately!

I wonder if the RFL will fine both coaches following their respective critcisms? 

Edited by Saintslass, 30 June 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#127 7723

• Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

I wonder if the RFL will fine both coaches following their respective critcisms? 

They have to if they don't want it to continue. It will happen more and more otherwise.

#128 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

There used to be a programme on the radio which had a section within it called Defend the Indefensible. Any defence of Wane from this quarter would require my resorting to schoolyard tactics by say pointing out Brown's anger at head hunters but blind spot to his own.
If correctly reported, and ansent any mitigating circumstances, Wane's comments do him and our great club no favours.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer, 30 June 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#129 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

They have to if they don't want it to continue. It will happen more and more otherwise.

In fairness I'd rather the coaches had a go at the refs after the match in an interview than the players doing it during the match directly at the ref. The punch and judy part of it can be slightly fun and get us in the newspapers a bit. As long as the refs don't pay attention either way its not a problem (and I've never seen anything that convinces me it does effect the refs).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users