Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

28/06/14 - Castleford Tigers v Salford Red Devils KO 7pm

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Castleford Tigers (4 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Salford Red Devils (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:06 AM

I was there and there was nothing suspicious about the timekeeping. The clock is above the scoreboard and is there for all to see 

Indeed and it stopped every time there was an injury or the players took their time for scrums and for under the posts drop outs. With minutes to go everyone was looking up at it to make sure it stopped when it did. Also someone got laid out which added to the extra time.

#62 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:18 AM

I think tigertalk commentators have started all this added time nonsense as they cant see the clock from were they sit, its annoying every week listening to them when the games close at the end n they have no idea how longs left.

Think Salford fans are clutching at straws with thus one
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#63 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:55 AM

So, has the game finished yet?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#64 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

Terrible game not helped by robies inept performance. Both teams largely poor although alot of credit to cas for defence in the first half to soak up that amount of pressure (brought on by our own errors) without conceding was pretty good. Our pack seem to lack the dominance we had over alot of teams early in the season and struggled to get on top in this game.

Happy that we found a way to win in the end. Webbo's try and Carney big shot which visably hurt junior sau (not many do that) highlights for me.

Salford away support was poor - heard they sold 47 tickets looked to be less than that their to be honest. Spose sat night and salford not having much to play for won't help but think it was a poor following.

As for this nonsense about time, clock was stopped for a fair while for a laid out salford player and then again before the final drop out with Sau pretending to have cramp as well as the usual stoppages.

On a side note was good to see sean long back playing - I assume he is anyway, as he appeared to join Salfords defensive line several times in the second half!!!

Edited by Gates1, 29 June 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#65 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

I think tigertalk commentators have started all this added time nonsense as they cant see the clock from were they sit, its annoying every week listening to them when the games close at the end n they have no idea how longs left.

Clutching at straws? don't really understand that comment as nothing can or will change the result.

Think you are correct that the commentators are at the root of the problems though.

#66 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

Spot on - hence my comments about the quality of the radio coverage earlier in the thread.

It's just not ok to transmit sub standard work like that - unprofessional.

#67 Red Devils PAW

Red Devils PAW
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

I think it was moved to accommodate a potential clash with an England World Cup knockout game - extreme optimism...!!

No.It was moved because due to the professional sporting demands in the cut throat world of Super League Castleford wanted a favour doing and Salford were only too willing to oblige.

http://www.castigers.com/article.php?id=4378

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

#68 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

I've been asked to ask, come kick off, if someone could post the squad numbers for Caton-Brown and J Griffin it would be appreciated.

griffin was 39 caton-brown dint play
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#69 johnh1

johnh1
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

Spot on - hence my comments about the quality of the radio coverage earlier in the thread.
It's just not ok to transmit sub standard work like that - unprofessional.

Ok I accept the clock thing. Apologies. I assumed, listening to Tigertalk that there was no clock visible, as they didn't have a clue how long was left. Towards the end of the game they thought there were about 5 minutes left, including injury time. They actually played for 10 more. I was counting down the clock! Apart from that, I thought the commentary, bearing in mind they clearly wanted Cas to win, was very good and very fair. So, well played Cas. Looking forward to the battles next year now.

#70 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

It is a bug bear with the radio commentators that they can't see the clock. I know radio Leeds has had problems with not being able to see it too.

#71 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

The leagues time commissioner Gerry Kershaw was there, take it up with him. Marwan will be along on twitter soon no doubt

Marwan's comments on Twitter:

"Congratulations to Cas for the Win"

Once again, he fails to live up to some people's expectations of him.

#72 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

I've been asked to ask, come kick off, if someone could post the squad numbers for Caton-Brown and J Griffin it would be appreciated.

Josh Griffin played and has been given squad number 39. MCB was 18th man and was kitted up and on the field during the warm up. He's been given - quelle surprise -  squad number 40.

#73 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Salford are totally ######

Yet another example of your continued diatribe against the Reds.    Really do not understand your viewpoint on a club trying its best to better itself after years of ineptitude.   I dont even suppose you can see the sparks of improvement shown recently.  

#74 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

One thing the game reminded me was that I really don't miss Rangi's inside drop of pass every other play!

Positive for Salford must by Niall Evald's looked the best player on pitch to me - hope his chances don't get stunted as a result of the big name signings.

#75 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

Salford away support was poor - heard they sold 47 tickets looked to be less than that their to be honest. Spose sat night and salford not having much to play for won't help but think it was a poor following.

There were around 150 Salford fans in the Railway end and 30 or so in the Princess St. stand

#76 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

& about 45 in the main stand - so over 200 on a Saturday evening - so not so bad

#77 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Didn't look anywhere near that to me to be honest.

#78 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

Didn't look anywhere near that to me to be honest.

How would you know? I don't wear club colours, nor do any of the people I stand with, so how do you know who we support?

#79 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

One thing the game reminded me was that I really don't miss Rangi's inside drop of pass every other play!

Positive for Salford must by Niall Evald's looked the best player on pitch to me - hope his chances don't get stunted as a result of the big name signings.

I agree that Evalds was the best player on the pitch, and not for the first time. Something to bear in mind for the people who think Marwan was mad to try to kick Nobby upstairs: Nobby didn't rate Niall, and sent him out on loan. Now, if we can get Gareth Owen back, balance will be restored.

#80 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

How would you know? I don't wear club colours, nor do any of the people I stand with, so how do you know who we support?

I'm no Columbo but have deduced over the years that when a team score their fans tend to cheer....