Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Todd Carney has been sacked.

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#21 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,819 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

What a strange thing to do, don't need idiots like him in SL. Let him go to Union where this sort of thing is almost expected after a game.

If you don't think this happens in SL, you are seriously deluded.

Seriously, lads will be lads. Can someone specifically tell me what it is he's done wrong? It's gross, and I wouldn't do it. But that doesn't make it wrong!
Posted Image

#22 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

Can't believe he was sacked for this. He's not harmed anyone, not done drugs, not broken the law. Feel a bit sorry for him!

Would you want your child emulating him though?

#23 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

Not really no, but that's not the point. I wouldn't want my child doing a lot of things seen on social media but it doesn't make this things illegal.

Stuff like that happens on lots of rugby nights out, it just doesn't all get publicised!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#24 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Can't believe he was sacked for this. He's not harmed anyone, not done drugs, not broken the law. Feel a bit sorry for him!

Seriously? I don't know, maybe it's because I'm female and this is a guy thing, but how is doing this ok?

Carney is (was) paid $650,000 a year, kids look at twitter etc, he's a massive role model, and you think doing this is acceptable?

#25 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

Not really no, but that's not the point. I wouldn't want my child doing a lot of things seen on social media but it doesn't make this things illegal.
Stuff like that happens on lots of rugby nights out, it just doesn't all get publicised!

But that's not a defence! It doesn't have to be illegal to make it morally wrong. And the fact is, these days everything you do can get publicised. That's the whole point. You need to know better.

And Carney more than anyone should know that. Have you seen his history?

#26 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

But it IS the point.  Professional rugby league players are not simply contracted to play rugby league but also to adopt a role within the community in the full knowledge that they have a responsibility to maintain a good image of themselves, their club and the sport.  He breached that element of his contract, and not for the first time.  Whether it is illegal or not is irrelevant.  He has undermined the professional image of the club and the sport and in a revolting way too.  Few parents of sound mind will want their child looking up to a man that not only pees in his own mouth but over other people AND sets fire to their clothes (causing actual burns to very sensitive places).  Along with his repeated alcohol related offences (including breaking the law), he is a disaster waiting to happen and needs to stay well away from our sport.

#27 callig

callig
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

The decision to sack him is obviously purely based on his passed behaviour and has been taken way too quickly.

Todd Carney is clearly an idiot.  Who does that??  But to be sacked for it I think is harsh.

The point on his contract stating he must be a good ambassador for the club will apply when he is in public.  I know he is a 'public figure' but even then surely it is reasonable for him to expect he isn't going to have his picture taken in a lavatory.  Has he actually been a victim of a crime?  Is it legal to go around taking pictures of people in the toilet in Aus?

#28 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

You are taking the ######, aren't you ?

#29 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

Awful behaviour from an awful individual, but no worse than canine fellatio, which is seemingly ok. Probably on a plane to the SL as we speak.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#30 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

But it IS the point. Professional rugby league players are not simply contracted to play rugby league but also to adopt a role within the community in the full knowledge that they have a responsibility to maintain a good image of themselves, their club and the sport. He breached that element of his contract, and not for the first time. Whether it is illegal or not is irrelevant. He has undermined the professional image of the club and the sport and in a revolting way too. Few parents of sound mind will want their child looking up to a man that not only pees in his own mouth but over other people AND sets fire to their clothes (causing actual burns to very sensitive places). Along with his repeated alcohol related offences (including breaking the law), he is a disaster waiting to happen and needs to stay well away from our sport.

But your now talking about other stuff! In my opinion, peeing in your own mouth is pretty disgusting, but I don't think warrants sacking. The other stuff that harms other people is different, but that's not what happened here.

I don't think it's fair to expect rugby players to be angels all the time, they need to be allowed to have the odd beer and have a laugh with their mates. As long as they don't harm others in the process then fair do's!

I didn't see this fuss when Danny Kirmond had his infamous 'snapchat rim' circulated on twitter. Should he have been sacked for that in your opinion?

#31 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Dirty and disgusting, why would you do such a thing???

But to sack him, I'm struggling, yes he's a role model, yes he's a professional but to sack him for peeing.

Kids wouldn't follow this example and if they did I'm sure they'd never do it again.

I guess this is all about opinion, mine is simple, dirty, disgusting and shameful, but remember it isn't a crime

#32 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

But your now talking about other stuff! In my opinion, peeing in your own mouth is pretty disgusting, but I don't think warrants sacking. The other stuff that harms other people is different, but that's not what happened here.

I don't think it's fair to expect rugby players to be angels all the time, they need to be allowed to have the odd beer and have a laugh with their mates. As long as they don't harm others in the process then fair do's!

I didn't see this fuss when Danny Kirmond had his infamous 'snapchat rim' circulated on twitter. Should he have been sacked for that in your opinion?

Peeing in your own mouth is pretting disgusting yes and contrary to what callig in their post said, this WAS in public, as he was in a nightclub urinals at the time, so his contract applies.  If he can't take the heat then he needs to stay out of the kitchen.  Or be kept out, whichever. 

As for your point about Danny Kirmond, I don't actually know anything about the incident you mentioned, so if you could be more specific then I'll happily answer your question.

#33 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

Awful behaviour from an awful individual, but no worse than canine fellatio, which is seemingly ok. Probably on a plane to the SL as we speak.

Except that was PRETEND.  He didn't actually give a dog a bj/get a bj off a dog (I can't remember which it was!).  Had he done so then the same would apply.

Edited by Saintslass, 29 June 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#34 Hvy wg

Hvy wg
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Dude's a dick.

#35 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 982 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

If he could get a visa he'd be the best halfback SL has seen and I'd love him at Leeds. I was at the broncos/sharks game on Friday night and felt sorry for him. He has no help whatsoever in the backs in that team and still managed to look class.

As for this incident, I actually thought it was impressive, even if it wasn't in the best taste. To get your stream to vertically shoot that high takes some doing :lol:

As for his sacking, it's harsh, but he's at a club who doesn't need anymore negative attention at a time when they can't get a sponsor and are struggling. They need to send out a positive message to their fan base and the public and this is what they've done.

He shouldn't get banned from the nrl for this IMO though. There's nothing illegal about it and it was in a urinal. I'd never do it but each to thier own.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#36 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,819 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

But that's not a defence! It doesn't have to be illegal to make it morally wrong. And the fact is, these days everything you do can get publicised. That's the whole point. You need to know better.

And Carney more than anyone should know that. Have you seen his history?

So what's morally wrong with it?
Posted Image

#37 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

As for his sacking, it's harsh, but he's at a club who doesn't need anymore negative attention at a time when they can't get a sponsor and are struggling. They need to send out a positive message to their fan base and the public and this is what they've done..

They aren't the only ones either.  Every club he's been at, so far as I can gather, has sacked him because of his behaviour and because he tarnished their image.

I doubt very much Leeds would want him regardless of his talent.  And I would hate it if any English club took him, assuming he could get a visa (which he couldn't when Huddersfield tried to sign him) because it would show us up as taking Australia's rejects. 

#38 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

So what's morally wrong with it?

Would you want your child doing it?

#39 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

Peeing in your own mouth is pretting disgusting yes and contrary to what callig in their post said, this WAS in public, as he was in a nightclub urinals at the time, so his contract applies. If he can't take the heat then he needs to stay out of the kitchen. Or be kept out, whichever.

As for your point about Danny Kirmond, I don't actually know anything about the incident you mentioned, so if you could be more specific then I'll happily answer your question.

I've PM'd you a link to the Kirmond photo! So what do you reckon? Should he be sacked?!

#40 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,819 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

Would you want your child doing it?

Would you like your child to follow Wigan?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users