Todd Carney has been sacked.

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,568 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

I'll admit he's a brilliant talent, but if Catalans take on Carney the player, they also have to take on Carney the boneheaded drunkard. Is it really worth the risk?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#122 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

Like lance and luke?

Lance isn't an Australian and Saints aren't in France.  Need to try harder next time.

#123 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

I think you mean Aussie reject/Dally M winner which would put him at least one step above any old Aussie reject. Doubt there's many better halves in the Northern Hemisphere so can't blame Catalan for showing an interest.

His 'crimes' seem to be of the block headed variety rather than malicious so I don't really have a problem with him plying his trade up here. Probably the highest rated player since Jamie Lyon to arrive up here if he does make it to Super League on a permanent basis. What club wouldn't consider him if it wasn't for the visa problems?

So setting fire to someone's clothes while they are still wearing them isn't malicious?  Beating someone up isn't malicious?  Driving while drunk is not malicious?  Get real.  The bloke is a walking disaster and of course he's malicious.  Booze turns some people malicious.

I hope he stays well away from my club and the comp as a whole.  I don't care how talented he may or may not be.

#124 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

So setting fire to someone's clothes while they are still wearing them isn't malicious?  Beating someone up isn't malicious?  Driving while drunk is not malicious?  Get real.  The bloke is a walking disaster and of course he's malicious.  Booze turns some people malicious.

I hope he stays well away from my club and the comp as a whole.  I don't care how talented he may or may not be.

Setting fire to someone's clothes sounds like an act of supreme stupidity. I've been on enough stupid drunken nights out and seen stuff like that but would not necessarily call it malicious, just brainless. Same goes for drunk driving, I'd probably say it's anything but malicious in most cases. Wreckless, dangerous, illegal, worthy of  a jail sentence, yes to all. Malicious means there's forethought gone into harming someone/something and that's what I doubt is the case and is also the problem with Carney, a lack of thinking.

Now whether he is malicious or not, who knows. Never met the guy nor would I like to. Would I want him at my club? Not really. Do I begrudge him earning a living somewhere though, particularly based on his last prank, definitely not. I wouldn't have had a problem with him receiving a really lengthy ban for his actual crimes but for bubbling, nah. If Cronulla say this breaches club rules then fine but this shouldn't stop someone else signing him, regardless of how much they may come to regret it later.

#125 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Setting fire to someone's clothes sounds like an act of supreme stupidity. I've been on enough stupid drunken nights out and seen stuff like that but would not necessarily call it malicious, just brainless. Same goes for drunk driving, I'd probably say it's anything but malicious in most cases. Wreckless, dangerous, illegal, worthy of  a jail sentence, yes to all. Malicious means there's forethought gone into harming someone/something and that's what I doubt is the case and is also the problem with Carney, a lack of thinking.

What utter tosh.  If you'd had a loved one affected by drink driving you wouldn't be talking about it as an act of stupidity, I can assure you. 

Now whether he is malicious or not, who knows. Never met the guy nor would I like to. Would I want him at my club? Not really. Do I begrudge him earning a living somewhere though, particularly based on his last prank, definitely not. I wouldn't have had a problem with him receiving a really lengthy ban for his actual crimes bSut for bubbling, nah. If Cronulla say this breaches club rules then fine but this shouldn't stop someone else signing him, regardless of how much they may come to regret it later.

But this isn't just about one incident.  It's about a whole string of them, some of them very serious.  And if clubs take the approach you suggest they should then that's fine, just as long as they are NRL or RU clubs.

#126 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

So setting fire to someone's clothes while they are still wearing them isn't malicious? Beating someone up isn't malicious? Driving while drunk is not malicious? Get real. The bloke is a walking disaster and of course he's malicious. Booze turns some people malicious.

I hope he stays well away from my club and the comp as a whole. I don't care how talented he may or may not be.

Make your mind up, is your gripe the fact he's an aussie or that he has past misdemeanours?

#127 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

Make your mind up, is your gripe the fact he's an aussie or that he has past misdemeanours?

I've never even remotely suggested that my gripe, as you call it, is with him being an Aussie.

#128 Hvy wg

Hvy wg
  • Coach
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

We currently have no other french Halfback apart Thomas Bosc. Fages won't come there, Barthau is championship level and the others are too young.

#129 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

As much as I think Carney is an idiot, maybe, just maybe, getting him out of Australia and away from the idiots he clearly surrounds himself with, and into a different culture/way of life, might help him.
It might not, of course, but it might...

#130 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

What utter tosh.  If you'd had a loved one affected by drink driving you wouldn't be talking about it as an act of stupidity, I can assure you. 

Had one friend convicted of this after another friend in the same car was killed. I can assure you this was not malicious but very, very stupid. Again, please check what the word malicious means. What's tosh is your misunderstanding of the word.

#131 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

They would.  Instead of developing young French halves, they'd opt for any old Aussie reject.

Lance isn't an Australian and Saints aren't in France.  Need to try harder next time.

Ok, but instead of developing young English halves (which we are in dire need of), saints opted for an old Kiwi reject. Is that any better?

#132 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Having spent the last twenty something years serving Queen and country I can only say that what Carney did would pale into insignificance compared to some of the antics I have had the pleasure in witnessing! But no one ever got sacked, re-briefed yes, boll0cked , restriction of privileges yes. But not sacked. Why? Because lots of time money and effort has gone into producing the type of person who is required to carry out their job in the most pressured and hostile of situations......... Maybe there is a comparison to be made?

Unlike Mt Smart, I think that is a load of tosh. There are no comparisons between what happens in the block and with professional rugby league players. Individual soldiers, airmen or sailors are not role models in the public spotlight like Carney and therefore in the vast majority of their antics unnoticed. However, when they do something in the public eye that has a detrimental impact on the image of the organisation like US Marines having a slash on an insurgent corpse (http://www.theguardi...ed-dead-taliban) or a senior Officer getting caught with his pants round his ankles (http://www.dailymail...Swedish-PR.html) it is dealt with as per Carney. Carney's issue is getting caught and being a public role model; it's his own fault and considering his past indiscretions, not surprised he has been sacked.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users