Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Promotion

Help and advice

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

One piece of advice I took was to never tread on the fingers of anyone as you climb the career ladder. Simply put treat everyone with respect. There should be no difference with your attitude towards the MD or the tea lady.

#22 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

I did some consulting at a media company once, it was like working in a room full of Gus Hedges clones. They were all too frightened to give an opinion on anything in case it wasn't the latest trend to have that opinion.

The best managers are those who recognise that everyone is different and reacts to different methods. There is a set of general parameters which apply to everyone, but outside of those it is important to know who needs a metaphorical cuddle now and again, who needs a kick up the backside, who needs to be challenged to get the best out of them.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#23 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,543 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

Thank you to each and everyone who took the time to respond

Best wishes to you all
Paul

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Thank you to each and everyone who took the time to respond

Best wishes to you all
Paul

No worries; if the company's cash-strapped, coldcast bronze is a good cost-conscious option for the statue.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,543 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

No worries; if the company's cash-strapped, coldcast bronze is a good cost-conscious option for the statue.

Platinum for me.

#26 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,847 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

That reminds me, and I can't believe I forgot anyway...  Don't trust other managers.  Your number 1 problem from now on is most likely going to be other managers playing petty politics with a few playing all-in hands all the time when it comes to sabotaging you.  Some will do it because of jealousy that you're the new "favoured" one and they no longer are in that position, others will do it with a mind that the more they trash every other team the better theirs looks, yet others will do it to try to curry favour with the highheidyins, and then you get the narcissistic assclowns of the world who are happy to screw you over just for the hell of it.

You can't say "I'm not playing politics" and try to stay out of it, that's a bit like catching the kick off in a SL game then telling the charging opposition forwards that you're having a bad day so please go lightly on you.  You either play politics or get ground under without sympathy.  That said, there's a big difference between playing politics to stop you being ground under and playing destructive politics yourself; I do my damnedest to protect me and mine without joining in with the destruction and it really does help my moral compass survive in the office.

Quoting myself because I saw a perfect example of this today.  A junior manager was in our senior managers' meeting for the first time, he was giving a presentation and a jealous peer had obviously set him up by telling him that "Dave", the most senior manager there and actually detests being called Dave rather than David, preferred to see everything likely to be said in the Powerpoint presentation and that if it isn't there then Dave will get angry.  He gave a 30 minute presentation of about 20-25 slides, facing the screen the entire time except for asking "Dave" his opinion a few times before being stopped and dismissed from the meeting.  What David actually prefers is a minimalist style of no more than 3-4 slides regardless of how complex and even better no slides at all, he also wants short 10 minute things at the longest.  Somehow I think that that junior manager has blown his credibility and is unlikely to be invited back, his boss was sitting there red faced through embarrassment and a wee bit of anger.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#27 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

His manager should be embarrassed for not briefing him before the presentation.

#28 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

I always liked the old saying " You can't do enough for a good boss, and you won't do anything for a bad 'un."

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users