Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rant of the day - bills

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

One thing I have learnt in 50 years of car ownership.

Motor vehicle = money pit.

Just bite the bullet and accept that whatever the make, whatever the model, whatever the fuel, whatever the age, in the long run it'll cost you. Just accept that there is a price to pay for personal mobility...treat it as a utility, just like gas, elec, phone, etc.

You're right on that... the vast majority of cars will never make a penny for their owners.  The mileage rate I'm on now for work is good enough that I'd not be losing any though on any car except truly inefficient beasts of cars.  58.3ppm is very nice.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#42 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

I bought a Landrover Defender 110 just over 12 months ago, always wanted one, thought I'd have it 12 months and be craving to go back to some creature comforts after "getting it out of my system".  But 20,000 miles later and I think we'll be keeping hold for a good few years, not let me down yet, although I've not been shy in staying on top of maintenance but its the first and only car I've smiled every time driven it and due to the limitations on speed its slowed my pace of life down to one I'm really quite enjoying.

My mate has just taken delivery of one of these, its an amazing vehicle.....

http://www.urban-tru...te-edition.html

#43 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

Nice!  Saw one of these on the M62 the other week, nice looking machine, but I bet with the extras they soon add up cost wise, seen some going north of 50k 2nd hand, crazy money!

Mine certainly falls in the, erm, well, "basic" category! 

#44 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

Soon to be replaced. It's expensive to make, expensive to run, extremely environmentally unfriendly, has trouble meeting safety regs( no more sideways seats in back) , noisy, quite unreliable but that has improved. In recent years.
.but I still want one!!!!

So do I! Glad it's not just me then.

Though I'm part way there; the car I currently drive does at least say Land Rover across the front of the bonnet, but it is a Freelander 2. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#45 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

Nice!  Saw one of these on the M62 the other week, nice looking machine, but I bet with the extras they soon add up cost wise, seen some going north of 50k 2nd hand, crazy money!

Mine certainly falls in the, erm, well, "basic" category! 

Yes, not cheap at all, cost him about £70k with a few upgrades added to it.

#46 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

Car design and safety regulations are a bit of a one-size-fits-all thing that tend not to recognise a vehicle's role in life.  I've become a bit too soft in the last few years to actively want a Defender but I still recognise how fun they were to drive.

Not much fun as a passenger in the back of one though. After many trips up a long farm track in the back of them I realise that the designer were evil sadists. The exposed metal ridges are exactly at head height so you smash your head on them as the car hits every pothole. 

28m391z.jpg

#47 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

Fantastic!

It'll still leak like a sieve,though, hence the holes in the floorpan to let the water out! 

#48 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Not much fun as a passenger in the back of one though. After many trips up a long farm track in the back of them I realise that the designer were evil sadists. The exposed metal ridges are exactly at head height so you smash your head on them as the car hits every pothole. 

Ha, never had the pleasure but can Imagine! 

The designers had a sense of humour mind, can be the only reason they thought it a good idea to fit the same windscreen wipers to a Defender as they did the original Mini! 

#49 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

Try here: http://www.grinnallcars.com/

#50 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Ah well, that's another one down.  Merc E320, about half the miles expected for its age, advertised as "immaculate" and "flawless" with "one careful owner", the first thing I see when I get there is that the number plate is fractured and someone has used a black marker pen to complete the letters that were damaged, the bumper's lacquer is shattered in more than a few places with a few bits down to the primer, the bonnet has more than a few stone chips, and so on.  I decided to have a look anyway as if it were mechanically sound then I'd use the paintwork to reduce the price and get it redone myself.  The engine sounded just as smooth as expected on start but some of the electrical items were strangely flickering so I did a bit of a detailed inspection, the external lights were doing the same random flickering and it got red flags waving for me with one of the indicators going at twice the speed of the other three.  A cursory internal inspection found many of the handles on storage units were either broken or bodged back on, leather seats looked picked at, fabric was more worn than the miles suggested, almost as if someone had let an angry toddler loose on the car for an afternoon.  Oh, and the "one careful owner", I had to ask the seller which one of the four owners on the V5 that would have been.  The seller told me that he didn't like my tone and asked me to leave his property when I said I was more than narked at losing a couple of hours of my life on this wreck of a car.

Next on the list!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#51 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

I had my own lovely arctic'ed 110 (window hot air curtains, etc. ahh what a lovely wagon that was) that I used as a mobile base station before using my motorbike to get into even more inaccessible areas.  One exercise I was flagged down by the Regimental Sergeant Major who wanted a lift as his motorbike had broken down, we got his bike on the trailer next to mine and he told me where he wanted to go.  I started off on a minor detour along some country roads but he started ranting about it being a bloody off-road vehicle for a reason and that I should take the more direct route in a tone that made it clear it wasn't a suggestion.  The main reason I intended to take a detour is that the RSM had a flask cup of coffee he'd just poured himself and I knew the countryside on the route was like corrugated iron with lots of peaks and troughs.  He'd annoyed me severely though and obviously didn't know the countryside, he didn't even bother with his seatbelt.

So... I decided to go a wee bit faster than normal over the countryside, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy RSM, he hit his head a few times, good job he had his helmet on, and his leg ended up across the windscreen with his coffee nicely soaked into his chest along with lots of swearing.  He knew I'd been a bit of a dick to him but he also knew he was the dick to start with and was generally a reasonable bloke: "let's just leave it at that then shall we Bombardier, why not just drop me off by the REME station there and they'll get me going again"

#52 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

I had my own lovely arctic'ed 110 (window hot air curtains, etc. ahh what a lovely wagon that was) that I used as a mobile base station before using my motorbike to get into even more inaccessible areas.  One exercise I was flagged down by the Regimental Sergeant Major who wanted a lift as his motorbike had broken down, we got his bike on the trailer next to mine and he told me where he wanted to go.  I started off on a minor detour along some country roads but he started ranting about it being a bloody off-road vehicle for a reason and that I should take the more direct route in a tone that made it clear it wasn't a suggestion.  The main reason I intended to take a detour is that the RSM had a flask cup of coffee he'd just poured himself and I knew the countryside on the route was like corrugated iron with lots of peaks and troughs.  He'd annoyed me severely though and obviously didn't know the countryside, he didn't even bother with his seatbelt.

So... I decided to go a wee bit faster than normal over the countryside, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy RSM, he hit his head a few times, good job he had his helmet on, and his leg ended up across the windscreen with his coffee nicely soaked into his chest along with lots of swearing.  He knew I'd been a bit of a dick to him but he also knew he was the dick to start with and was generally a reasonable bloke: "let's just leave it at that then shall we Bombardier, why not just drop me off by the REME station there and they'll get me going again"

Some people just insist on learning the hard way. I would guess he still holds the role of RSM...unless he's managed to get himself demoted.

28m391z.jpg

#53 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

18 "Interesting" Land Rover facts :)

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#54 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

The next installment of the saga...  A beautiful looking Audi A6, immaculate pics, "trade seller" but only a mobile phone number as contact.  Despite that I gave him a call, no answer.  Called back later, his son answered and said "call back later".  I did, same answer "call back later".  So I sent a text saying call me back when you can.  He did but was so cagey that it was silly, I asked a few basic questions and he was quite evasive so I pushed a bit harder asking if he was a proper trade seller then could he give his company name, he replied by shouting "YOU'RE A TAXMAN AREN'T YOU?!" and hanging up

#55 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

Have a look a Fords of Winsford. http://www.fow.co.uk/  One of the very first car supermarkets, been going years,  good reputation. The co my son works for sources all its vehicles from there(except the owner's car, which is always bought new.) and has done for many years. 

or here: ex Motability cars mainly: http://www.johnpeatmotors.co.uk/

or better still try here

Edited by JohnM, 30 July 2014 - 04:22 PM.