Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

A great club

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 petes

petes
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

For the fourth or fifth time this season me and my 6 year old son came along to watch the Lions. Having been introduced to The Lions through a friend in the post Station Road days I and then we, me and my eldest, have followed Swinton avidly.
Once again on Sunday, irrespective of the result, we enjoyed our trip out. The lady on the gate was very polite and helpful and the group of people selling programmes enjoyed a laugh with my lad. Getting into the seats was easy and people were helpful in accommodating our seating requirements. We were served promptly and politely at the serving hatch at half time and all in all enjoyed the afternoon.
Obviously the result wasn't quite as we wanted and Swinton could possibly have been at bit more ruthless early on as they got near the Workington line, but the late comeback offers some hope for the remainder of the season.
The reason for the posting is that irrespective of the issues the club are having off the pitch Swinton Lions is a fantastic club. That they are still here is a massive credit to all involved and the future can hopefully be as bright as the supporters want it to be. OK, super league might be beyond us but what's wrong with having a club steeped in tradition, active in the community, living within its means, sounds good to me. Onwards and upwards.
Up the Lions.

#2 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

Well said and keep coming. We need more like you!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#3 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

For the fourth or fifth time this season me and my 6 year old son came along to watch the Lions. Having been introduced to The Lions through a friend in the post Station Road days I and then we, me and my eldest, have followed Swinton avidly.
Once again on Sunday, irrespective of the result, we enjoyed our trip out. The lady on the gate was very polite and helpful and the group of people selling programmes enjoyed a laugh with my lad. Getting into the seats was easy and people were helpful in accommodating our seating requirements. We were served promptly and politely at the serving hatch at half time and all in all enjoyed the afternoon.
Obviously the result wasn't quite as we wanted and Swinton could possibly have been at bit more ruthless early on as they got near the Workington line, but the late comeback offers some hope for the remainder of the season.
The reason for the posting is that irrespective of the issues the club are having off the pitch Swinton Lions is a fantastic club. That they are still here is a massive credit to all involved and the future can hopefully be as bright as the supporters want it to be. OK, super league might be beyond us but what's wrong with having a club steeped in tradition, active in the community, living within its means, sounds good to me. Onwards and upwards.
Up the Lions.

Excellent post.

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

Tremendous

#5 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

The reason for the posting is that irrespective of the issues the club are having off the pitch Swinton Lions is a fantastic club. 

If you think we're a "fantastic club" now, I'd love to be able to transport you back in time to the years of my youth, i.e. the 1960s (or perhaps the inter-war years) just to watch your reaction.

The only event not attained during that wonderful decade was a trip the Challenge Cup final at Wembley, winners or runners up. They came close on one or two occasions. What a playing staff we had including a sprinkling of very classy footballers in almost every position, especially the backs, Gowers, Buckley, Stopford, Williams G. "Daz" Davies, Kenny, Fleet. And under the astute captaincy of Albert Blan during the first half of that decade when we were worthy champs two seasons on the trot.

So, if we're 'fantastic' now, is there an adjective in the English language which befits the Lions as they were back then? Somehow I doubt it.