Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Culture, image and Rugby League

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
192 replies to this topic

#181 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

Anyway nothing posted in any Forum is going to change anything is it???

#182 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,535 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Anyway nothing posted in any Forum is going to change anything is it???

don't know about that mate

I've now been convinced that blows to the head are an integral part of the manly appeal of rugby league

all this stuff about brain injury, eye damage is just a load of political correctness.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#183 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Not sure I understand - its entertaining to watch a scrap on tv but which kids are going to latch onto head butting??

Might become a craze like it was when I was at school in the 80s - aye jimmy!! Dosh!!!!

"Not too too many people chin big Baz"

https://www.youtube....h?v=v5Scp6Ljabc

#184 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,454 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

Clear you are a troll but I will answer you anyway.

Nah...the prime requirement in football is skill. It requires more talent with using your feet being a lot harder than the easier task of using your hands. Both league and union it's about bulk, and ball carrying. Using your feet is a small aspect of the game. AFL is derided as hoofball..aimlessly kicking the ball up the field. They look hopeless in International rules when the ball is on the ground and they have to use their feet.

Skills pay the bills...and "the beautiful game" garners most attention because of it. Skill is what leaves folk open mouthed and attracts most interest..this is why when such moments of genius occur and are uploaded they get millions of views...and with football it's a regular occurance. A rare moment of skill in Rugby was a dummy pass by O'Driscoll which got over a million hits on YouTube...imagine if Rugby had endless moments such as this it would become a major sport (either code). Running into people, while having some admirers, doesn't leave you open mouthed.

You clearly know nothing about Rugby League. What exactly is more talent using your feet? Have you tried running and  passing a rugby ball 20 metres with your hands  both left and right so that the man you are passing to can catch it without adjusting his pace? Try it and see how easy it is. Soccer gets attention because of the media hype as well as the money and easy access to watch games whether you be in Africa, Europe, Americas etc . Many people follow soccer because of their mates and want to be part of the crowd. There are endless moments of skill in Rugby League if you take your Soccer glasses off. The kicking and passing skills of Cronk, Thurston to the agility of wingers like Morris, Waqa, Nightingale. If you think Rugby League is just bash bash bash then you clearly have no idea and are just a troll.

Hmm..well there are different degrees of skill...breathtaking moments are seen on a regular basis from the very best players...Luis Suarez for the whole of last season for example. Wasn't a game I watched that he didn't do something ridiculous with the ball. 

Cold say the same about Thurston or Cronk and Slater or Foran/Cherry Evans. Quality skill putting their body and mind to the limit. Wheres this skill in soccer because it was largely missing during the Soccer World Cup.

Then there's the method of scoring...a goal in football is the most visually pleasing in sport, and gets by far most views online. Running with the ball tucked in your arm and then crossing a line the width of the field...how many vids are there on YouTube of this? Not many. Any those that are on there don't get many views...and It's not because it's a much easier method of scoring, it's because it's visually much less aesthetic pleasing. A quality goal in football gets uploaded and quickly accumulates a huge number of hits. My point again is that if Rugby (either code) had more moments of skill the interest in the sport would increase.

I've read threads on here where RL folk talk about how the sport can grow....and it's this that I am referring to. It's action on the field that really is the be all end all. Its this that generates interest. The image of football is far far worse than RL...primadonna players, huge wages and egos, cheating....biting...but people who watch don't care about all of this. It's trivial..infact if anything more scandal is only a good thing (bad publicity is good publicity). Luis Suarez bites someone and it makes headline news all over the world...and u have the likes of Mike Tyson, Holyfield...and Bruce Springsteen chiming in on it. It just makes the story bigger..and this is a celebrity world we are living in. Rugby league players come across as down to earth, approachable, there doesnt appear to be much (if any) cheating..the lack of foreign influence helps on this score.

Nothing to do with action on the field at all. Rugby Leagues problem often is down to money and poor administration as well as next to no media/promotion/advertizement. Its very easy to get development and promotion of your sport with money and the right connections. Maybe thats why soccer has struggled in America and Australasia as it hasnt had the money or connections to be a major spoort in them areas. The image of corruption in soocer is on a par with the image of poor administration from Rugby League. 

The biggest sports in the world are not collision based...football, basketball, golf, tennis, boxing...while motor racing, cycling and athletics are global. Each variation of a collision based games are played in their own pockets...American football in America, Aussie Rules in Australia, while the two Rugby codes are almost entirely played within the British commonwealth (save southwest France)...they aren't as appealing for most people. I dont know if there is simply a glass ceiling for Rugby league...there may well be...certainly it appears that way in England due to the obvious division in north and south. 

American Football is one of the biggest sports in the world and also one of the most richest. You talk to people in the Netherlands, Australia, China, South Africa, ENgland and I bet most could name an American Football team. I know people from various lands that are in to American Football and follow it on TV. Adverts for a spot during an Ad Break during Superbowl is about the most expensive in the world

#185 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

The biggest skill in RL is the ability to do everything you mentioned while knowing you are about to be smashed by a 15 stone athlete. Catching and passing a ball can be taught and is a skill, catching and passing a ball under the pressure Pro and Semi Pro players endure during a game is incredible.

#186 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

don't know about that mate

I've now been convinced that blows to the head are an integral part of the manly appeal of rugby league

all this stuff about brain injury, eye damage is just a load of political correctness.

Well that head injury assertion was an entire invention of your own based on a non sequitur so it is little wonder you are convinced by it. Never really understood contributors answering a position that was never taken.

#187 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,535 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

Well that head injury assertion was an entire invention of your own based on a non sequitur so it is little wonder you are convinced by it. Never really understood contributors answering a position that was never taken.

You are of course right
For which I thank you
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#188 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

Ok this topic is getting quite heavy. Just a time-out here :-

50 Epic Dance Moves

https://www.youtube....h?v=dodGzOjBOHA

#189 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Ok this topic is getting quite heavy. Just a time-out here :-

50 Epic Dance Moves

https://www.youtube....h?v=dodGzOjBOHA

Is the only set of dance moves you will ever need.

#190 davidhubball

davidhubball
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

More!!! More!!! More!!!! lol

#191 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:05 AM

@D.Collins. I no longer watch much football (aside from the WC which was very good) as I don't think its exciting anymore. Not sure how that fits in but there you go.

#192 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

Your post #149.
You did not start this thread.
It does not orbit you.
You are not the moderator.
Like your new identity, though.

#193 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

Aaaand locked.

John Drake