Coventry Bears to Kingstone Press Championship 1 in 2015

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

The RFL is delighted to announce that Coventry Bears will enter Rugby League’s semi-professional Kingstone Press Championship One competition in 2015.  Formed in 1998, Coventry have grown to become one of the sport’s most successful community clubs and will play their home games at the 4,000-capacity Butts Park Arena.

They were invited to play in the competition at a meeting of the Kingstone Press Championships clubs in Leigh this week.  RFL Chief Operating Officer Ralph Rimmer said: “It gives me great pleasure to welcome Coventry Bears to the Kingstone Press Championships.  It adds another refreshing dimension to the Championships at a time when the sport is approaching an exciting new era with the introduction of a new league structure in 2015.  Following on from the success of Oxford, Hemel Stags and the University and Gloucestershire All Golds in introducing Rugby League to a new audience of players and spectators, Coventry Bears will enhance the competition and the sport.

“Their entry is the latest result of our long-term commitment to introduce new clubs into Championship One from new geographical areas and I am sure Coventry Bears will receive a warm welcome from everyone in the game.”

Coventry Bears Managing Director Alan Robinson said: “We are delighted to have this opportunity to join the Kingstone Press Championships and are looking forward to playing our full part in the competition.  The club has worked really hard to establish good working relationships in Coventry and across the Midlands and we now have the partners in place who can help us realise our ambitions.

“Making the transition from being a community club to the professional ranks has been, and remains an exciting and fulfilling journey.

“Our geographical location allows us to ‘bridge the gap’ between clubs in the South and North and creates rich potential for us to succeed.”

Coventry Bears will officially launch their entry into Kingstone Press Championship One in 2015 with a media event at the Butts Park Arena, Coventry, on Friday July 18 (12.00pm) when Alan Robinson and other clubs officials will be available for interview.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,167 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Excellent news.  Congratulations to all at Coventry.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

Haha!

Butts!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

Seriously though, well done to Cov

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#5 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,872 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

Great news, good luck to all involved, look forward to seeing how you go.  CC1 is shaping up superbly.

#6 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

congrats to all at the Bears .. a semi pro club right on my doorstep now :)

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#7 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

Another long trip and with the cumbian clubs likely to come down we will be struggling to pay for the travel next year

#8 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Another long trip and with the cumbian clubs likely to come down we will be struggling to pay for the travel next year

It's not a long trip, it's only down one street from Cumbria and Lancashire (M6) and two streets from Yorkshire (M1 and M69)

Edited by bearman, 04 July 2014 - 11:52 AM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#9 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Fabuolous news  - absolutely delighted for everyone at the club

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#10 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

Strong rumours in the West Country that Clifton are looking to set up a semi-pro League team in Bristol soon too.

#11 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

Love it! You couldn't ask for a better response from a rugby league fan.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,579 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

What's more effective? CERN detecting sub-atomic particles or Rugby League fans ferreting out all the negative potential of a bit of good news? I think I see Dr Brian Cox hoisting the white flag...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

Do we know the structure of KPC1 yet? I think that brings us to 14 clubs now doesn't it?
Posted Image

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

Do we know the structure of KPC1 yet? I think that brings us to 14 clubs now doesn't it?

Yeah.  I think the structure of Championship 1 in 2015 will be 14 clubs. B)

Well done to the Bears.  It's great to see the sport spreading.

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

Strong rumours in the West Country that Clifton are looking to set up a semi-pro League team in Bristol soon too.

Please, please, please, please let it be true.

#16 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

Back on topic. Fantastic news. Hope that your first season is a cracker.

#17 EssexRL

EssexRL
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

Great news
London Skolars

#18 TheMancunianCandidate

TheMancunianCandidate
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

Well done to everyone at Coventry Bears.

I know how difficult it is running a club in a developing area, so it's a fantastic achievement to get this far.

Mancunians' ambition is and has always been to join the semi professional ranks and we hope to be joining them soon.

#19 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

Fantastic news! Well done to Cov.

Just you wait till next year and all the moaning we'll have to put up with when we're in the Championship!

#20 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

What's more effective? CERN detecting sub-atomic particles or Rugby League fans ferreting out all the negative potential of a bit of good news? I think I see Dr Brian Cox hoisting the white flag...

You know, if Cox spent less time discussing teleportation on This Morning and more time working on the damn thing then the Cumbrian clubs wouldn't have to spend money on coach travel.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users