Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Magic Weekend in Coventry?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

The Ricoh Arena is one of the main contenders to host Super League's Magic Weekend in May, 2015.

Manchester City's home ground, the Etihad Stadium has staged the event for the last three years but organisers are looking for a new venue due to planned building work during the May bank holiday weekend.

LINK TO ARTICLE

It's a pretty new stadium and, with the troubles that Coventry City are having, they should be enthusiastic hosts and welcome the income generated.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

That would do me. Fairly local to me

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

It's in the middle of nowhere, miles from any real facilities.

A fine stadium, but would be an awful venue for this.

People called Romans they go the house

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

What are the transport links like? Anybody been?

Could be a good PR coup for Coventry Bears, too - involve the juniors (in Bears kits) as mascots, for a start.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,847 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Never been so don't know, but could those things be mitigated? 

Shuttle buses laid on and/or some sort of food and drink type festival, invite micro breweries from the towns/cities of the competing teams and similar for food to come and sell there wares, set up a bit of a Magic Weekend Village, large captive audience might be quite lucrative!

#6 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Never been so don't know, but could those things be mitigated? 

Shuttle buses laid on and/or some sort of food and drink type festival, invite micro breweries from the towns/cities of the competing teams and similar for food to come and sell there wares, set up a bit of a Magic Weekend Village, large captive audience might be quite lucrative!

Not that I want to be critical, but I don't think that Coventry is that nice a place to be shuttled to and from.

It's a fine ground and easily accessible by car and would be a great venue for a one off match (especially a big test match), but all of the things that make the Magic weekend into a festival would be hard to do.

However, I'd love to see it back in a development area and I know the bloke who runs the stadium, so personally, I'm all for it.

#7 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,937 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Not that I want to be critical, but I don't think that Coventry is that nice a place to be shuttled to and from.

It's a fine ground and easily accessible by car and would be a great venue for a one off match (especially a big test match), but all of the things that make the Magic weekend into a festival would be hard to do.

However, I'd love to see it back in a development area and I know the bloke who runs the stadium, so personally, I'm all for it.

I know what you;re saying but Coventry hosted some football during the olympics and the Festival feel was very much there - Coventry is sport mad and would massively get behind this so I'm all for it.

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

Coventry is sport mad and would massively get behind this so I'm all for it.

It's also a place that's often overlooked when it comes to big events so it's not like we'd have much local competition for hearts, minds and wallets.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,847 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

I forget, what with us being Rugby League folk, mainly from the glamour spots of the north how high our standards are! :tongue:

I get that Coventry may not be high on everyone's weekend away list, but would be a massive boost I'd imagine in light of todays other news from Coventry in helping build publicity and get momentum going, them not wanting to make a weekend of it can easily do it in a day from most clubs.

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,665 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

Small capacity of 32k. Not sure we should keep playing in smaller and smaller grounds is the way to go, although at least it is out of the 'heartlands'.

#11 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Coventry doesn't begin with an 'M' though ...

#12 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,937 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

Very good point!

McLaren Field it is then!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#13 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Midlands Magic. Easy.

#14 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

Why not play one day at Villa Park and one day in Cov?

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

Why not play one day at Villa Park and one day in Cov?

Villa's a good ground, but are Aston Villa one of the clubs that hasn't got qualms about the state of their pitch after two days of non-stop Rugby?

Coventry City don't play at the Ricoh any more and are struggling for their very existence, so that stadium is more likely to be eager to have a major revenue-generating event. 

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,965 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

Neither does Cardiff or Edinburgh.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

Neither does Cardiff or Edinburgh.

No, but their stadia do.  Coventry's doesn't.

There is no sign of an 'M' anywhere.

Edited by Saintslass, 04 July 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#18 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 691 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

Coventry Bear's have been admitted into Championship One from 2015, The Magic Weekend would show case rugby league in Coventry.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

Coventry Bear's have been admitted into Championship One from 2015, The Magic Weekend would show case rugby league in Coventry.

Absolutely; I suggested using the Bears' juniors as mascots, but maybe having the club play a fixture as a curtain-raiser too?

At the very least, the Bears should have a stall at the venue with publicity material and, if possible, merchandise.

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,001 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

I've attended a number of conferences and events there and  in my experience is OK. Take a look on Google maps and satellite imagery,  see http://www.ricoharena.com/ and http://www.ricoharenaparking.co.uk/ and Ricoh Arena From The Air

Edited by JohnM, 04 July 2014 - 03:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users