Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Magic Weekend in Coventry?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,329 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Coventry doesn't begin with an 'M' though ...

But there is No F in "better place"

Edited by JohnM, 04 July 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#22 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Why not have Magic at Wembley in 2015 then? 

I'm sure you could hard sell it as a unique event in the London sporting landscape.

#23 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

It has to be either Liverpool or Newcastle for me, preferably Newcastle.

#24 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 865 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

Meh... hardly an 'exotic' location. I still think we should use the Olympic Stadium as there won't be any London representation in SL and it will be a good pr boost to be the first major event at the stadium after the Olympics and before the rah rahs. ;)

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,799 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Wembley's desperation to repay the massive overspend that the stadium build incurred would make it very expensive indeed. Add travel and accomodation costs for most of the potential crowd and you are looking at a marginal gamble.

Liverpool or Newcastle would be worth considering, but are the cities/Football clubs interested?

Edited by Futtocks, 04 July 2014 - 04:00 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Where ever it goes people moan, Coventry doesn't inspire me not much there, stadium too small.

I'd love a Newcastle magic as the ground is in the city like Cardiff and offers an amazing experience.

Nottingham could be another option, not sure if this has ever been mentioned

#27 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

No, but their stadia do. Coventry's doesn't.

There is no sign of an 'M' anywhere.

Midlands Magic.
Done.
Posted Image

#28 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

A Lifeless and dreary stadium. They should demolish the place.

#29 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

Small capacity of 32k. Not sure we should keep playing in smaller and smaller grounds is the way to go, although at least it is out of the 'heartlands'.

Appreciate the point about smaller stadiums but the intent should be to support Coventry Bears and increase awareness of RL in that area. Out of interest, how many Magic Weekends have sold more than 64k tickets? I think this is a real opportunity for the game to actually coordinate a new development in the game properly and boost the development of the game in a growth area...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#30 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

Midlands Magic. Easy.

Midlands Magic.
Done.

Keep up, Wellsy.
People called Romans they go the house

#31 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

Where next beirut?

#32 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

Appreciate the point about smaller stadiums but the intent should be to support Coventry Bears and increase awareness of RL in that area. Out of interest, how many Magic Weekends have sold more than 64k tickets? I think this is a real opportunity for the game to actually coordinate a new development in the game properly and boost the development of the game in a growth area...

aye, my thoughts are that this event shpuld have smashed the 70k barrier and touching the 80k at least, instead we are getting crowds slightly larger than the first one that was held hundreds of miles away from, the 'heartlands'.

Im comfortable with this as a one off as it could bu used to support the Bears, but in reality it is hardly inspiring and is not about growing the event. I do however think that 65k in Coventry is better than 65k in Manchester.

#33 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,799 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

As you can tell from the article linked in the first post, the excellent Etihad stadium is not an option. Coventry bidding for the event could spark other cities into offering their facilities for the Magic Weekend. Anywhere it does go should put the effort in, because the income from a horde of RL fans is not to be sniffed at.

Edited by Futtocks, 04 July 2014 - 06:35 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#34 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

Saracens played a game there a few years back, over 30k attendance. Would any 'magic' fixture come close in comparison?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#35 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

Where next beirut?

Beirut bedlam?

#36 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

A friend of mine is in her sixties; her partner is in his seventies. A few years ago they booked a coach trip and three day stay over New Years Eve at a hotel in Edinburgh. They were in their local pub telling this to another older friend who started off saying how he was going to be lonely on his own over the New Year and he asked them to see if there were any further vacancies at their hotel.

My friend rang the hotel who said they were fully booked but, within the chain, there were vacancies under the same deal at a partner hotel in Coventry. They decided to fall on their sword and switch to the Coventry hotel so their friend could also go.

A few days before christmas, the other bloke was taken ill and into hospital for tests. He cancelled his reservation and so my friend and her partner ended up spending a romantic Hogmanay in the glorious scenery and whirlwind dazzling nightlife of Coventry.

Surprisingly, she won't be the slightest bit interested in attending a Midlands Magic Weekend in Coventry!

:biggrin:

Edited by Wolford6, 04 July 2014 - 08:23 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#37 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

Keep up, Wellsy.

She ignored you. "No sign of an M anywhere."

I was making sure there was a sign ;)
Posted Image

#38 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

No, but their stadia do.  Coventry's doesn't.

How about the Milady Godiva cheer leading squad.

#39 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:30 PM

What are the transport links like? Anybody been?

Awful. About three and a half miles from the nearest station. It's bang on junction 3 of the M6 so is easily accessible by car but the car park charges are normally extortionate.

Villa's a good ground, but are Aston Villa one of the clubs that hasn't got qualms about the state of their pitch after two days of non-stop Rugby?

Well, Villa Park is hosting a handful of games in the union World Cup in 2015 so it depends on the "incentive" that's dangled in their direction I suppose.

No, but their stadia do.  Coventry's doesn't.

Well, there's the M6!

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#40 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

The Ricoh Arena is truly awful, it's like visiting an out of town retail park.

The event would be great at the City Ground Nottingham, Bramall Lane Sheffield or St James' Park Newcastle.

All stadiums are close to their city centres, have 30k+ capacities, and like Coventry all have potential support bases through local established clubs (Outlaws, Eagles & Thunder).

Edited by MustardBoy, 05 July 2014 - 06:49 AM.