Magic Weekend in Coventry?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,615 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

The Ricoh Arena is truly awful, it's like visiting an out of town retail park.

The event would be great at the City Ground Nottingham, Bramall Lane Sheffield or St James' Park Newcastle.

All stadiums are close to their city centres, have 30k+ capacities, and like Coventry all have potential support bases through local established clubs (Outlaws, Eagles & Thunder).

Cant agree with any of that. Capacity apart, and in this brave new world of our shrinking and retrenching game, a full Ricoh is better than a 1/4 full Wemberlee...and the Ricoh is clean, modern, spacious, good parking, good links, good accommodation, etc.

#42 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

MustardBoy, on 05 Jul 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

The event would be great at the City Ground Nottingham, Bramall Lane Sheffield or St James' Park Newcastle.

All stadiums are close to their city centres, have 30k+ capacities, and like Coventry all have potential support bases through local established clubs (Outlaws, Eagles & Thunder).

Cant agree with any of that. Capacity apart, and in this brave new world of our shrinking and retrenching game, a full Ricoh is better than a 1/4 full Wemberlee...and the Ricoh is clean, modern, spacious, good parking, good links, good accommodation, etc.

Can't agree with any of what? What are you talking about Wembley for? How odd! I never even mentioned the place, and totally goes against my point.

I said Sheffield, Nottingham or Newcastle... They're the perfect destinations in vibrant cities, and as with Coventry, RL interest and teams that could grow.

#43 CoventryRL

CoventryRL
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

Hi all, new here. I have been reading this for a few days now with interest at the reaction to Magic weekend potentially coming down to Coventry. I am a Coventry City fan, but adopted fan of Rugby League so it wont suprise you I am about to offer full support for 'Midlands Magic' in Coventry.

We were fortunate to go to Cardiff for the World Cup but as most games, Wigan anyway, seem to be on Fridays getting up to Rugby league country is vitually impossible. Those who have attempted the M6 on a Friday will no doubt agree. Wigan are my adopted team, other half is from Wigan area and Wigan fan (sorry for any offense caused). I did offer support for Warrington/St Helens to create a bit of rivalry but I didn't go down very well :-).

Whilst we enjoyed the World Cup I was a real shame that the stadium was barely half full. When watching on Sky the previous Magic weekends, it can look a bit daft with a stadium half full at best. With my team, Coventry going through the worst run in its entire history I know what its like playing in front of a half empty stadium is like but can also vouch for a full to bursting Ricoh Arena. You wont get a better atmosphere, anywhere, fact.

This is a superb opportunity to showcase Rugby League to a brand new audience and the obvious boost to Coventry Bears it could give. Rugby League is a superb sport which should be much bigger than it currently is.

If Rugby League in this country is to grow into the sport it deserves to be gambles like this are needed and Rugby fans need to give full support. Think about it, its for 1 year not forever.

Is the Ricoh big enough, yes. Man City if you think is in Rugby League heartland and even with the recent attendance figures it could have accommodated most attendances.

I really believe after holding the Olympics and few years ago held 'take that' concerts for 3 or 4 days in excess of the 32,000 capacity for Football/Rugby etc we would cope down here.

Work is also to start on a train station on the railway line that cuts right through the site hopefully in August/September which should be complete by May

Edited by CoventryRL, 07 July 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#44 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,615 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

MustardBoy, on 05 Jul 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

Can't agree with any of what? What are you talking about Wembley for? How odd! I never even mentioned the place, and totally goes against my point.

I said Sheffield, Nottingham or Newcastle... They're the perfect destinations in vibrant cities, and as with Coventry, RL interest and teams that could grow.

You are new...or returning under a new name? The world does not just revolve around my posts and opinions, nor yours.

#45 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 414 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:05 AM

Hi all, new here. I have been reading this for a few days now with interest at the reaction to Magic weekend potentially coming down to Coventry. I am a Coventry City fan, but adopted fan of Rugby League so it wont suprise you I am about to offer full support for 'Midlands Magic' in Coventry.

We were fortunate to go to Cardiff for the World Cup but as most games, Wigan anyway, seem to be on Fridays getting up to Rugby league country is vitually impossible. Those who have attempted the M6 on a Friday will no doubt agree. Wigan are my adopted team, other half is from Wigan area and Wigan fan (sorry for any offense caused). I did offer support for Warrington/St Helens to create a bit of rivalry but I didn't go down very well :-).

Whilst we enjoyed the World Cup I was a real shame that the stadium was barely half full. When watching on Sky the previous Magic weekends, it can look a bit daft with a stadium half full at best. With my team, Coventry going through the worst run in its entire history I know what its like playing in front of a half empty stadium is like but can also vouch for a full to bursting Ricoh Arena. You wont get a better atmosphere, anywhere, fact.

This is a superb opportunity to showcase Rugby League to a brand new audience and the obvious boost to Coventry Bears it could give. Rugby League is a superb sport which should be much bigger than it currently is.

If Rugby League in this country is to grow into the sport it deserves to be gambles like this are needed and Rugby fans need to give full support. Think about it, its for 1 year not forever.

Is the Ricoh big enough, yes. Man City if you think is in Rugby League heartland and even with the recent attendance figures it could have accommodated most attendances.

I really believe after holding the Olympics and few years ago held 'take that' concerts for 3 or 4 days in excess of the 32,000 capacity for Football/Rugby etc we would cope down here.

Work is also to start on a train station on the railway line that cuts right through the site hopefully in August/September which should be complete by May

Welcome and nice first post.

One of the key things for the Magic Weekend is having the warm up pitch next to the ground to keep the flow of games going. Any idea if the Ricoh has this? Only ever visited Coventry once before but not the stadium unfortunately.

#46 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

It doesn't matter where it's held, the key to the Magic Weekend are us!

If RL fans support the "event" and invite a non RL supporting mate then WE will grow the "event".
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#47 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

It doesn't matter where it's held, the key to the Magic Weekend are us!

If RL fans support the "event" and invite a non RL supporting mate then WE will grow the "event".

And RL fans will not support the event if it's not at a good venue, so the first part of your statement is complete nonsense to be fair! It's VERY important.
Posted Image

#48 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

And RL fans will not support the event if it's not at a good venue, so the first part of your statement is complete nonsense to be fair! It's VERY important.

I meant in the country. I agree it needs to be in a good stadium.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#49 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

Newcastle is the obvious place for the magic weekend. Lots of hotels, ground in the centre of the city, brilliant weekend out for spectators in a very welcoming city.

Huge car park adjacent to the ground to put on an entertainment village of some sort with live bands etc.

Obviously why the RFL haven't considered it!!!

#50 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

Newcastle is the obvious place for the magic weekend. Lots of hotels, ground in the centre of the city, brilliant weekend out for spectators in a very welcoming city.

Huge car park adjacent to the ground to put on an entertainment village of some sort with live bands etc.

most articles ive seen talks about Coventry or Newcastle.

#51 squith83

squith83
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

a few years ago i went to a monster truck show at pride park, derby. i was very impressed with the ground and facility and all the staff were really friendly. there seamed to be plenty of space around the ground and lots of food outlets and pubs close by. looking at footballgroundguide.com it has good reviews, is in close proximity to rail links and has a capacity of over 33,000. 

when i was there it was a great atmosphere, and would be a superb place to host a magic weekend. 

#52 CoventryRL

CoventryRL
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Welcome and nice first post.

One of the key things for the Magic Weekend is having the warm up pitch next to the ground to keep the flow of games going. Any idea if the Ricoh has this? Only ever visited Coventry once before but not the stadium unfortunately.

Thanks for being made welcome.

There's a few council pitches around the area & a large island next to the Ricoh which has grass in the middle of it but I can't see players being to happy about having to clean up after the local dogs have been around before starting pre-match training.

Seriously though, there is no permanent warm up pitches next to the stadium but having been to St James Park many years ago and looking on google there is nothing there either. I'm sure both sites would be able to accommadate something thats would keep all clubs happy.

If you type in postcode CV6 6GE in google & click 'maps' you will be able to see just how much space there is around the Stadium.

#53 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

Have Newcastle ever shown even the slightest interest in hosting the event?

I agree, the city would be a great place for a big event like this, but unless the Football club want us using their stadium, it's just speculation.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#54 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

It's back at Cardiff done deal I heard

#55 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Shame, I guess you can only go where you can get but Magic in Cardiff had run its course and I fear that the attendance next year will be rather embarrassing as people will have got used to making little effort to just roll up in Manchester.

#56 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

Meh... hardly an 'exotic' location. I still think we should use the Olympic Stadium as there won't be any London representation in SL and it will be a good pr boost to be the first major event at the stadium after the Olympics and before the rah rahs. ;)

I agree with Jeff Mangum here, but it's probably not considered, the RFL are frightened of taking too many major RL events to London.  Challenge Cup + the odd international during a World Cup is all we'll ever get.

Coventry would actually be good, my worry is that it isn't a draw for a weekend away due it's image problem, despite it being a pretty decent city

#57 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Shame Bristol hasn't got a suitable stadium as I think the public there would buy into it and Bristol council are excellent for getting behind events. 

Maybe the brave option would be for Barcelona?

#58 robins up north

robins up north
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

I would prefer it if it went back to Murrayfield, handy for me!

#59 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 414 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

I meant in the country. I agree it needs to be in a good stadium.

For that reason, I'd rule out Sheffield. Nice city, good ground location but the stadium is a bit of a dump unless there's been major renovations since I last visited about 10 years ago.

#60 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,678 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

For that reason, I'd rule out Sheffield. Nice city, good ground location but the stadium is a bit of a dump unless there's been major renovations since I last visited about 10 years ago.

There is no longer any stadium

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users