Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bears admitted into C1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

http://coventrybears.co.uk/bears
The news that Coventry Bears will join C1 next year leaves me with very mixed feelings.
For the past 16 years I have worked hard to get the club that I helped start to be in a position to bring professional rugby league to the people of Coventry.
It now means that the club I helped start may well be playing the team that I have supported all my life.
It was my Dad that first took me to Craven Park as a toddler and it was watching Barrow with him that sparked my determination to try and get RL recognised in the midlands.
But of course my dream has turned into a bit of a nightmare as we may be playing each other sooner than I wanted.
It also means that my fortnightly trips on the train to Barrow will have to come to an end as I'll be meeting and greeting all and sundry to Coventry in my role as President of the Bears.
There is still a chance that Barrow can stay up and perhaps my loyalties will not be tested for some time yet.
I know there are a lot of sceptics that think the game should not try to spread itself too thinly and I understand that. I'm under no illusions as to the size of the problems that the Bears will face in the Championship and the difficulties we will face both on and off the field.
One thing I do know is that despite the distance to travel there will be a hard core of brilliant Barrow fans making that journey.
If the dreaded drop does happen you can be sure that I will personally ensure that every Barrow fan is welcomed.
I suppose looking on the bright side it does mean that for two games each season MY team wins no matter the actual result.
Meanwhile, I'll make the most of supporting Barrow in person for the next few weeks.
See You Sunday
C'mon Barrow.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

Good luck Ron and all the best to the Coventry Bears, I'm afraid we will definitely be playing you next season.

Posted Image

#3 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

Excellent news. At least you won't have to travel 190 miles to watch Barrow at some point next year.

#4 Gaz Lad

Gaz Lad
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

Ron, is this the same Coventry Bears that started off in the Southern Conference League many moons ago and played teams like Cambridge Eagles who I played for as I remembered playing against a team from Coventry on a few occasions. And well done on getting to this stage  and all the best for the future.

Posted Image

#5 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Ron, is this the same Coventry Bears that started off in the Southern Conference League many moons ago and played teams like Cambridge Eagles who I played for as I remembered playing against a team from Coventry on a few occasions. And well done on getting to this stage  and all the best for the future.

Yes the very same, I remember playing Cambridge with the famous Barry Butterfield.
We also had a player called Colin Wood come to us from Cambridge. Colin always claimed he played for Barrow and I remember a feature in the Barrow programme a couple of years ago asking did anyone know of him.
I was talking to your coach John Evans at the Varsity match and he asked was it true that Woody had come across to us?
I told him he had. " Thank God for that" he said "It will save us a fortune on strapping"
The last I heard Woody was making rugby balls with bells in for players that had sight problems!
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#6 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Brilliant news Ron and brilliant post. I'm so pleased for all your hard work and travelling to CP as well. I don't think we have ever met but I always read your posts on this Forum. At last a really worthwhile stream and I wish you all the best for next season except when you play your other longer established team.

I have always been somewhat critical of spreading 'The Greatest Game' to thinly but this has mainly been because of the numbers of spectators who attend pro matches. I would love to see large increases in all Ch1 Ch attendances.

Posted Image

#7 Gaz Lad

Gaz Lad
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

Ron well done with what you have achieved getting Coventry to this stage, I played for Cambridge from 1993 to 2002 this was during the Barry Butterfield era. I packed in playing due to age and more time taken up by work commitments but many happy times. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users