Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

m62 shut

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

I think Duffy will be a shrewd acquisition
Writing him off is ridiculous

#22 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 611 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

The club had no choice in the timing of Watto's departure.

#23 Netherton Ram

Netherton Ram
  • Coach
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

Yeah Zach Johnson played for Shaw Cross, which is 2 mins from Dewsbury ground, if that.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

#24 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

Sadly Marshy we don't have time to give duffy a chance. We had to win our last two games and we would be right in the mix to stay up. With some tough games left i think we are done.

It's pretty unfair on the new coach but the timing by all parties is to blame

All parties Wayne ???
Wayne

#25 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

Well let's see how everything pans out, we may be in a very different position come the end of the season on more than one front.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#26 Westernmancunia

Westernmancunia
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

It took almost two thirds of the season to find the right combination of players to be a genuinely competitive force and in the space of a week all that progress has unraveled. Last seasons progress at least imploded over the course of the off season. Featherstone up soon and last years result was the one that gave the survival push real impetus. Somehow i don't think it will be the same this year. Swinton are a hostage to fortune AGAIN. Just when they were getting a grip of it all. 

#27 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

What Marshy?

#28 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

Are you asking me who I mean by all parties,?

Salford! Watto!

Probably not much we could do about it so keep calm i wasn't blaming you or anyone else who does fantastic work for our club

Wayne

#29 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:14 AM

Parties was plural so was just wondering.. Massive bombshell from Watto, Salfords timing could have been so much better.

#30 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:14 AM

Parties was plural so was just wondering.. Massive bombshell from Watto, Salfords timing could have been so much better.

#31 Lancaster Lions

Lancaster Lions
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:47 AM

I don't know if we will stay up this season and I don't know what the squad will look like . I don't or even know the venue for home games next season. All I know is that whatever happens I will be there supporting the Lions . Any news on early bird season tickets ?

#32 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 611 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

No news on season tickets yet, but something we'll look into as soon as practical. A couple of variables to take into account first.

#33 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

That's what I said.

Wayne

#34 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

There's not much we can judge Duffy off this year im afraid IMO, he has inherited a young side which was built around a veteran half-back/manager who has just left. So now, (do the maths) hes just got a young side... which in our division won't cut the mustard. He needs to get the players, and more specifically, the half-backs he wants in and get a full pre-season with his squad. Its back to square one right now, and the signs are looking ominous. Our goal should be to retain as many of the players as we can, and retain the coaching staff, and we will be there or thereabouts in the league below next year.

Sometimes bad things happen and its nobodys fault, we can't blame Watto, who has been more than loyal, for making a career move. We cant blame Duffy for the reasons mentioned above, and we cant blame the players who are young and have been used to playing along side an on-field general. All we can ask of Duffy is to keep morale and motivation high and work on that defense!

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#35 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

The club had no choice in the timing of Watto's departure.

I thought the letter from Watto indicated he wanted to stay on at Swinton to oversee a handover period but that it was not required. Indicates there was some element of flexibility in timing albeit may have been best for swinton to make a clean break and get someone in immediately.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#36 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

I thought the letter from Watto indicated he wanted to stay on at Swinton to oversee a handover period but that it was not required. Indicates there was some element of flexibility in timing albeit may have been best for swinton to make a clean break and get someone in immediately.

Can someone confirm that was what or was not the case?

#37 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 611 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

The club had no choice in the timing in as much that Watto's decision to join Salford was unexpected and came out of the blue. We accepted Ian's decision with our full understanding, and he offered to stay on for a month in recognition of the fact that we had been left without a first team coach at short notice. But we then appointed John Duffy fairly quickly, and felt that it was important that he was given our full backing.

#38 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

Looking back now I think accepting his offer to stay on for one month and maybe keeping our winning streak going against town and Dewsbury could have been a better decision as not many more look winnable

But decisions have to be made and we have to just work with them

I really do wish Ian all the best but my loyalty is purely with Swinton so I only see it from the side that would best suit us.

However let's hope duffy can do it for us

Wayne

#39 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

Looking back now I think accepting his offer to stay on for one month and maybe keeping our winning streak going against town and Dewsbury could have been a better decision as not many more look winnable

But decisions have to be made and we have to just work with them

I really do wish Ian all the best but my loyalty is purely with Swinton so I only see it from the side that would best suit us.

However let's hope duffy can do it for us
Not been funny even if Watson had still been coach you wouldn't have beaten us Friday night
Wayne

#40 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

I CAN see more victories this season as demonstrated in todays reults. They will however be dependant on the players made available and the abilites of the new coach.

Fingers crossed that they both go our way!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users