John Duffy Interview

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

I think people have suggested that Duffy is not the ideal replacement or candidate.
I disagree
I agree that the sharing of information has been lacking and indeed I do believe I started that thread requesting more information on team news.
The childish removal of Leigh players is ridiculous
Maybe we were the bigger men in that situation by not raising our disbelief in public .
I also think that should we be relegated we will rise again swiftly and strongly

#22 Ralph Swintonrlfc

Ralph Swintonrlfc
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

I agree with most of your points Mark and it makes a refreshing change to hear some optimism and positivity on the Lions forum. This is exactly what we need, as in adversity we all need to pull together and unite in securing a brighter future for our club. I do however think that the club, media ops and Trust are doing a sterling job in very difficult circumstances as to keeping us informed of the clubs goings on. To be fair the Watto/Salford/John Roddy/John Duffy story proved to be very difficult to handle due to its unique nature , political content and timing etc - hopefully never to be repeated. Great post tho Mark. onwards and upwards. the futures bright the future's royal blue!!! regards Ralph   

#23 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

To respond from my own personal view but in full support of the board of management.
The decision made by Ian Watson was dropped on us immediately after the excellent victory against Rochdale a decision was made to seek a replacement as swiftly as possible in order to make use of the teams upsurge in form and I fully support that decision. We will never know if under Ian we would have stayed up but one thing for sure Swinton as a club couldn't have stood in his way and again we was as annoyed as anyone that a source at Salford leaked his departure.
Following my return from holiday I was told of the decision by Leigh to recall the loan players who I understand was told by Rowley to return to training at Leigh.... Any spectator myself included would have to direct the question to Leigh and Rowley for the correct answer so in my opinion it was difficult for the BOM to offer any explanation.
This season has seen our club become far more open with the fans than in many a year and long may that continue, fans can call on Steve, John, Dave and myself at any game to answer questions which will normally be met with response which you will be happy with. As with most organisations certain info has to remain confidential which I am sure everyone appreciates.
If we stop up or end up relegated one thing for certain is we will deal with it as a team right from the board, coaches, players and the most important people us the fans.

#24 Ralph Swintonrlfc

Ralph Swintonrlfc
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

Agreed, understandable and well put across Marshy! A great positive outlook going forward! Kind regards Ralph

#25 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Chuckles ... Richardson...
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#26 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

Chuckles ... Richardson...

Ha ha
Nice one ;)

#27 mike the lion

mike the lion
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

Marshy1,I understand the BOD`s difficulties with the change in personnel after the Barrow game,but could someone in the posted the fact that Leigh had recalled their loan players - reason unknown!
The team announcements at Sedgley Park cannot be herd on the half way line so we had no idea of who number 22 was when he entered the pitch as a substitute.Again it would be nice to have known before match day that Ryan Maneely was in the squad.
These are minor problems compared with keeping the club iexistencece but every little helps.

#28 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

Marshy1,I understand the BOD`s difficulties with the change in personnel after the Barrow game,but could someone in the posted the fact that Leigh had recalled their loan players - reason unknown!
The team announcements at Sedgley Park cannot be herd on the half way line so we had no idea of who number 22 was when he entered the pitch as a substitute.Again it would be nice to have known before match day that Ryan Maneely was in the squad.
These are minor problems compared with keeping the club iexistencece but every little helps.

Points taken and thank you .

#29 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

Ha ha
Nice one ;)

All done in the best possible taste... Good luck for the rest of the season.
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#30 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

What I think people often forget is that at the tail end of 2013 we had hardly any players, our Chairman retired, the club owed a large amount of money to creditors and our club was on the verge of extinction!

It was a distinct possibility that Swinton Lions might have played their last match.

A band of dedicated (or you could read mad!!) volunteers (and for that read unpaid and very little time to spare outside their usual work and family commitments) pulled together and put together an emergency plan to keep the Lions going.

In the main it is still those dedicated few that are holding things together. Additional assistance has been brought in when it has ben offered (such as John Roddy joining the Board recently).

It was unfortunate that Salford swooped in for Watto but it happened. Don't forget that when something like that happens to a club like ours it's not very easy for everyone to drop their day jobs and go out looking for a replacement....it's not like the club have any full-time staff sat around that can suddenly spend a large amount of time investigating who's out there, who can be brought in etc etc.

Communication is very important but I'd rather have the Board spending their time sorting out a replacement for Watto and looking to replace those players who have been recalled by Leigh. If they can then sit back (sort out their day-job stuff that's piled up whilst doing Swinton business) and take stock and give us a press release a few days after the event then I think we need to understand why there might be a delay in getting that news out to us fans and why, for example, Salford, with their paid full-time staff can get news out quicker than us.

So, yes there is room for improvement but we have come a million miles on the comms front since this time last year. I think we should just understand and appreciate the resources our club has available, there are probably a lot of the top amateur clubs which have more man-hours available to them than we do.

If any supporters can provide any assistance then it is more than welcome.

If you don't know what you can do to help then ask, volunteer....or bring someone new to each of the remaining matches (we need to boost attendances and bring money in), join the Trust (£2 per month), buy a Trust T-shirt, a programme, Golden Gamble tickets etc. Yes it is all money, but the club can't exist on fresh air and those money-tree seeds I bought haven't sprouted yet!

Apologies for the mini-rant but let's all just appreciate what we've got and stick your hand up (or in your pocket) if you want to help us get back to being the big, successful club we once were.

Anyway....Supporters' Trust Meeting 8:00pm tonight at the White Lion as usual. Get along and join if you haven't done already (bring your bank details or cash/cheque with you) and you can come in!

#31 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

I agree with most things you say Paul. I have praised the group of people who got together to keep the club alive. I have acknowledged all the effort put in by the coaching staff and players. I bring 2 extra speccies per game and I have joined the Trust and pay a lot more than the minimum payment per month. I have also put my hand up in the past to work for free for the club (and got spit in my eye whilst I did). Fair play to all who are fighting for our survival.

I asked after the Worky game what had happened to the Leigh loan players and it would have taken 1 min to post that they had been recalled. That wasn't done. There you go. I've got over it so let's all move on and get on with the job of cheering the club to wherever we end up!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#32 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

LL you are a great example of someone who is trying to do what they can for the club. If only everybody could bring 2 extra to every match we'd have attendances of over 1200 which would be over £10k more per match! We know that won't happen overnight and there are a variety of reasons why (which I think we've probably all touched on on this forum before!!), but it's a start.

I'd hope that it was the old regime that turned your help down.....believe me it was very hard work for the Trust then also but now that the Trust are involved again in the running of the club it's much better (though harder work in other respects)....and since we elected two of our committee members onto the Board we have a good say and are much more able to hear what's going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users