Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Brilliant response

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

Have just got home to see this shock/fabulous result (38-34).

Look forward to reading more and let's hope this can be the catalyst for a good run in to put the disappointing results of the last weeks behind us.

Those missed bonus points are my main worry.

Well done all involved. 

#2 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

Well done Hornets great result.

Riggy

#3 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

A great display with every player giving 100%. Nearly decided not to go after the second half at Keighley. I can't believe this was the same team that played last week. Best possible  response from the lads. Played some good rugby and it would be difficult to single anyone out but Ryan Millard had the best game I've seen him play this year. I hope this form can  be maintained next week  against Barrow. Really pleasing was that when Rovers took the lead for the first time with less than 10 minutes to go we didn't give in and deserved it when Thompson got the winning try.

#4 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Awesome performance! Well done to players and coaches alike.

Brilliant today I think if anything today has made the last 6 weeks or so look even worse, we now know exactly what we are capable of.

Any way time to look forward now not back!

Well done

Edited by ormskirknet, 07 July 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#5 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

Well done Hornets,  It must have been a good game, when I could hear the crowd from my garden in Cronkeyshaw. A very good 735 turned up.

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#6 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

The best perfomance at home since we lost to Leigh by 6.The fat lady has sat down again after that. If they had buried us as i'm sure they expected to that would have been that,

Down with a whimper. As it is it should give us the confidence to go down fighting if we have to, and out of the bottom 2.

A total absence of Fev fans in the bar. Their coach gave a gracious speech and was applauded.   

Well played Ian Talbot, Houghy, Rammy, and most of all the players. Please! please! please! 

Same again next week against Bobby Gouldings Barrow!!! Bring it on.

#7 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

I suppose that's why we follow Rugby League and Hornets. Who'd have thought It at 3.00 o'clock. I can only assume Fev thought it would be easy. I don't blame them going off our current form, I would have taken a bonus point at any time.

We got off like a house on fire, racking up a 18-0 lead in less minutes than that courtesy of an error free game but obviously you don't get to be second in the league for nothing. Fev raced back at us and in as many minutes were level having decided to attack us down our weaker side. After that the next ten minutes were an arm wrestle and at half time there was nothing between the teams.

We came out after half time in the same vein as the start of the first half and before we knew it we had scored two more tries and had got our noses in front again. It couldn't last in spite of some gritty play and slowly the tide was turned and we again fell behind with about five minutes to go. I was still feeling a bonus point was a good result when we had one final throw of the dice and came up with the match winning try. The last five minutes seemed like an eternity but eventually the hooter went and we could celebrate a rare three points.

A really well earned three points, bags of guts and commitment from all the boys with Ryan Millard outstanding at half back with a match winning performance. We just toughed it out at the end, Fev ended up playing the usual catch up rugby that rarely brings results.
It was a bit disappointing in the bar after the game with hardly any Fev fans to be seen although the Fev Chairman was extremely gracious in defeat.
Same again next week boys. " Onward Hornets, Onwards ".

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 06 July 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#8 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 776 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

Fantastic. Well done to everyone at Hornets, I'm still on cloud nine as all the players should be. One of those moments, when the Fev supporters did the Wigan walk, I will cherish for a long time. Thank you.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#9 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

So, aside from the renewed commitment, no less skill/effort to register 7 tries and being back home, what was the main difference/s to the previous weeks?

The Sheridan/Millard pairing seems to have been one aspect.   Hopefully, we will now build on this for a great run-in and confidence for next season.

#10 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

So, aside from the renewed commitment, no less skill/effort to register 7 tries and being back home, what was the main difference/s to the previous weeks?

The Sheridan/Millard pairing seems to have been one aspect.   Hopefully, we will now build on this for a great run-in and confidence for next season.

Biggest differences for me (there are plenty to go at)

1. The halfback combo of Ryan & Lewis, although Lewis did find himself stuck on the wing again late on
  2. Millard grabbed hold of the team and the game, and took us around the park like a proper halfback should.
  3. Much more invention and no stupid mistakes with ball in hand (more options used rather than 5 drives and a kick)
  4. Determind and strong defence, with no lapses in concentration
  5. The Saints lads did it tough also, and got stuck in
  6. Having the option of Dandy, Crook & McClurg who all added some creativity
  7. The huge amount of work-rate off the wings in Casey & Dawson who were ever willing and ran strongly all afternoon

I think I could go on, the difference between yesterday and the week before at Keighley was un-real.

Edited by ormskirknet, 07 July 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#11 no1 saints fan

no1 saints fan
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

Can I just ask, how did Rich Beaumont play? I know it's only his second game in ages, plus the fact that he missed the whole of pre season, but I was just wondering what he played like?

#12 sussex rover

sussex rover
  • Players
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

Well played Rochdale well deserved win, i was made very welcome thankyou goodluck with rest of season

#13 The Collector

The Collector
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Can I just ask, how did Rich Beaumont play? I know it's only his second game in ages, plus the fact that he missed the whole of pre season, but I was just wondering what he played like?

He played really driving the ball in hard and committed to a Hornets cause.

He will certainly be welcome back anytime

#14 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

What a difference a week makes.
Congratulations to all the team and back room staff.
I was not at the game so if I stay away the results might go in our favour.
Keep up the good work lads. You have proved that you can do it.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#15 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

Taken from Rochdale Online.

http://www.rochdaleo...herstone-rovers

Yorkshire Evening Post version.

http://www.yorkshire...overs-1-6714315

Edited by ArthurDaley, 07 July 2014 - 08:02 PM.

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#16 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:24 AM

Well done indeed to the lads,I almost drove off the road when I got Mad Mal`s text at about 0300 on Monday morning here in Tweed Heads. So different to the usual comments of "Bloody awful",and "Another terrible performance" that he`s been sending for the last few weeks. With relegation almost certain now,it only makes you wonder how Hornets would`ve been placed had they not been away for all those consecutive matches. Pity.

#17 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

Excellent result, well deserved!

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#18 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

Taken from Rochdale Online.

http://www.rochdaleo...herstone-rovers

Yorkshire Evening Post version.

http://www.yorkshire...overs-1-6714315

Winning try from fullback Wayne Thomson? :shout:

#19 dannyboy

dannyboy
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

Great game of rugby from both sides with Hornets deserving the win.

Some new plays with ball in hand which really impressed me rather than Crook to Millard to English which every team in the world of rugby league know about.

Keep up the good work lads.

#20 excolt

excolt
  • Players
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

At Keighley last week I thought the players had stopped playing for Tol, and questioned his future,so glad to be proved wrong with a fantastic display against Fev.All I want to see is effort we got that and more.If we finish out of the bottom two in any other season that would keep us up, I will be happy with that anymore than that would be superb.