Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Whitehaven 40 Dewsbury 34 - discussion, report, highlights

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Regards squadbuilder , there is some money in the pot ( a few grand )   to be allocated  and all the contributors are to be contacted by letter with a view to seeing who would like to form a new squadbuilder forum or action group to liase with the coach to see where he would like to invest the money .

#42 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

It says Jon Grayson when I look at Sky Live, but anyway...

Really weird game and a lot like Swinton away, except against a much better team.

Three tries in six minutes after the 50-minute mark killed us. We conceded a try after losing the scrum against head and feed, and then conceded another when a loose ball was volleyed up the slope from 40 metres out and sat up perfectly under the posts. The third was a good one though, coming from a break made after one of our squad's better players pulled out of tackling Scott McAcoy.

This came after we'd scored just after half-time and appeared to be taking hold of the game.

My opinion is that we need to respect possession more, and have confidence that we are capable of breaking teams down with well-timed passes and runs. Some of the rugby we played yesterday was real death or glory stuff when it didn't need to be.

It was another one of those games where each set resulted in either a knock-on or a try.

We need to have faith in our ability to get over the line. Our players are strong and fast, and hard to contain from five metres out. And in Wright, Hemingway, Hyde and Thackeray, we have four fantastic distributors of the ball at our disposal. Miracle balls on the first and second tackle are not needed.

Louis Sherrif did well at full-back and Sam Wood decent too.

Whitehaven have some great players and are far too good to go down - but then so is every team in that mid-table cluster!

That's spooky and not a little worrying - I could have sworn, even with my old eyes, that it said Grayston - wouldn't have thought anything about it otherwise - but you're right. In mitigation, I was in the process of rehydrating from a morning spent tidying up a relatives 3/4 acre garden when I looked - probably just over tired. :ohmy: Re the match - undone by another quick winger it would seem - bit of a trend isn't it ?

#43 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

Just when we seem to have our playing performances settled, we have another Swintonesque game.

What has happened to our defence - again?
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#44 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Match report now online

Highlights to follow.

#45 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

I'm not too worried. Haven are not a bad side and we had a lot of players out with players coming in and playing out if position. Big match at north Wales Sunday but we have a decent run of winnable home games still to come

#46 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

Extended highlights available to watch now.

#47 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 503 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:42 AM

Just watched it scored some good trys by throwing ball about,but the tackling was shocking AGAIN,We made there outside backs look brilliant!!!! How many trys came from kicks,we need a fullback that will put his body on the line. We've certainly got a battle on to avoid that 5th & final relegation spot,I still think we will but saying that the rest of the club's will be saying the same thing!!