Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Commonwealth Games

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#1 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,465 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

I'll start this topic off with an early contender for Worst team Outfit.

Step forward Scotland!

article_img.jpg

:haha:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#2 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

Anyone ever told them the men are wearing skirts?

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,465 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

They look like a gay and lesbian society's scottish dancing troupe.

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,465 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

Anyway, Becky James and Mark Cavendish out of the cycling; the Aussies are quietly rubbing their hands.

#5 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

Anyway, Becky James and Mark Cavendish out of the cycling; the Aussies are quietly rubbing their hands.

That post takes on a very different message when you put it in the context of the one just before it.

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,465 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

on your bike.

;) :)

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,465 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

No, I think the Scottish outfit looks like the sort of thing that was designed by a committee .... one which was concerned not to present any image of aggression or undue nationalism.

Can you imagine a the look you'd get if you asked a Scottish serviceman or football supporter to wear that outfit?

:biggrin:

If I was Alex Salmond, I'd be trying to make out that it was designed by an English fashion house.

Edited by Wolford6, 08 July 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#8 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

There would be a few "interesting" events if the men were to compete in those outfits.  The high jump would need very careful camera angle coverage.  The gymnastic events would all have to be scheduled for after 10pm and there might be extra scoring for presentation.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,900 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Dearie me... The shirts are ugly, the tartan's insipid, but the combination of the two is hideous!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,185 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

I quite like it!

Not much point in just having a smart kilt and shirt that you see everywhere and at any Scottish wedding.

This is meant to be unique, recognisable and stand out.

#11 Bucksyed

Bucksyed
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

It certainly stands out  !!!

I have Kleptomania and when it gets bad I take something for it :tongue: .

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,465 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

I quite like it!

http://www.colour-bl...ur-test-plates/

#13 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

They are rank,but what's with the hippy lady in the middle ?

#14 Bucksyed

Bucksyed
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

That's Jilli  Blackwood the designer.

I have Kleptomania and when it gets bad I take something for it :tongue: .

#15 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

That explains everything.

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,465 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

The Manic Street Preachers come from Blackwood. It's definitely the sort of outfit that Nicky Wire wouuld wear.

Mind you, this is his usual attire:

NickyWire12PA140910.jpg

#17 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

There would be a few "interesting" events if the men were to compete in those outfits.  The high jump would need very careful camera angle coverage.  The gymnastic events would all have to be scheduled for after 10pm and there might be extra scoring for presentation.

It is years since I've attended a Highland Games but, as far as I remember, the only athletes who compete in kilts are 'the heavies', ie those who toss the caber, throw the weight over the bar and throw the hammer. The latter is the only one where, owing to the rotation movement, there is a risk of revealing what should remain hidden. The solution? Usually a pair of lycra shorts.

Edited by Methven Hornet, 08 July 2014 - 06:49 PM.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#18 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

As for the costumes themselves, they are for an opening ceremony that is designed to be a relaxed affair, despite the blazing conditions likely to be found in the east end of Glasgow in summer. The days of blazers and slacks have long gone. I suspect the whole design and colour scheme is a reflection of Glasgow City Council's desire to portray a softer, more gay-friendly image, rather than the hard-man reputation it has been saddled with in the past. And, on that note, a gay friend has sent me an alternative proposal for a Scottish uniform, but I'm not sure it would be acceptable under the site's terms and conditions.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#19 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

Aside from the eye catching team cozzies, anyone going to see any of the actual sporting events?

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#20 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,900 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Aside from the eye catching team cozzies, anyone going to see any of the actual sporting events?

Not in the flesh - still job-hunting. But I will definitely be watching it on TV. The London-based national media will sneer, but that says more about them than about the Games.

From Manchester (2002) onwards, the Commonwealth Games have been excellent and entertaining sporting events. The less said about some of the earlier ones, the better - the 1994 games in Victoria (Canada), for instance, felt like a school sports day, only without the atmosphere.

I'm sure Glasgow will host the Games with pride and verve.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)