The Commonwealth Games

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#21 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

Not in the flesh - still job-hunting. But I will definitely be watching it on TV. The London-based national media will sneer, but that says more about them than about the Games.

From Manchester (2002) onwards, the Commonwealth Games have been excellent and entertaining sporting events. The less said about some of the earlier ones, the better - the 1994 games in Victoria (Canada), for instance, felt like a school sports day, only without the atmosphere.

I'm sure Glasgow will host the Games with pride and verve.

Don't they always about anything that happens beyond their precious capital? If not sneer, treat patronisingly (see some coverage of the TDF in Yorkshire) <_<

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#22 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,914 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

My main memory of the Victoria games was Yvonne Murray's look of incredulous delight when it was announced that her gold medal would be presented by Roger Bannister... who turned out not to be that Roger Bannister, but some Canadian Athletics committee member.

She recovered well.  :biggrin:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#23 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Aside from the eye catching team cozzies, anyone going to see any of the actual sporting events?

I'm taking the family up.

Seeing a session of badminton (for favoured playing sport) and a session of athletics. Looking forward to it. Used to spend a lot of time in Glasgow with work 10+ years ago and always enjoyed my time up there.

#24 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,779 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

I'm taking the family up.

Seeing a session of badminton (for favoured playing sport) and a session of athletics. Looking forward to it. Used to spend a lot of time in Glasgow with work 10+ years ago and always enjoyed my time up there.

Excellent. I didn't get any athletics tickets in the draw, nor quite a few other sports I applied for including the rugby 7s (eek, burn the heretic!! ), which should hopefully mean most of the venues will be full for many events.

However, I did get tickets for weightlifting, artistic gymnastics and ... lawn bowls!

I'm looking forward to the trip up to Glasgow at the end of July. Should be fun! :)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#25 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,867 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

I worked at a building refurbishing project on an industrial estate in Cambuslang, Glasgow and could hardly understand a word any of the local people said. They  coudn't understand my Welsh accent either.

There was a Morrisons supermarket half a mile away; I used to go for my dinner every day after a disastrous attempt to order from a mobile sandwich truck. In the supermarket cafe, I'd just point to a picture on the menu board to say what I wanted.

I only ever got change or cash machine money in Scottish notes.

Despite not one person I met ever breaking into a proper smile, they were actually very nice people.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#26 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,779 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Looking forward to the opening ceremony tonight.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#27 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,465 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Looking forward to this.  We applied but only got tickets for one session so aren't going up.  It's great sport so I'm well prepared to ignore the sneers about which countries aren't there etc ...

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#28 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,867 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

Welsh boxer Fred Evans barred for having a recent conviction for a public order offence. This seems a bit unfair as the case has been fully settled and his involvement wasn't deemed to warrant a custodial sentence.

#29 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,867 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

Double post

Edited by Wolford6, 23 July 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#30 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,465 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

Welsh boxer Fred Evans barred for having a recent conviction for a public order offence. This seems a bit unfair as the case has been fully settled and his involvement wasn't deemed to warrant a custodial sentence.

Agreed.  Having read a bit about it, looks like a Home Office decision in defiance of the wishes of the Welsh and British sporting bodies.  Shame to see the Home Office doesn't support rehabilitation.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#31 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

For those who like that sort of thing you can get apps for your mobile here: http://www.glasgow20...sgow-2014-apps 

Technically this post is advertising as I work for the company who developed them. 8)

Edited by Griff9of13, 23 July 2014 - 02:27 PM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#32 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

One of my school mates is doing the lighting for that, apparently he did London Olympics too and is quite famous in the concert/event lighting world.

#33 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

That seems particularly harsh.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#34 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

Opening ceremonies don't usually bother me, but, listening to Radio Scotland today, and the enthusiasm of the people who they have been interviewing, there does seem to be a buzz and a sense of anticipation about the city today.

Of course, nothing, but nothing you will see at Celtic Park tonight will match what happened on that glorious day of May 17. :)

#35 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

Apparently, Frankie Boyle, on Twitter, has thanked all visiting athletes and spectators for temporarily raising the life expectancy of Glasgow.

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,914 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

Based on the first few minutes, this is a very bad opening ceremony indeed.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#37 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

"Come enjoy yourself but make sure you're thinking of those kids in the Commonwealth who aren't as lucky."

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#38 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,914 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

And now the opening sequence actually looks slick by comparison. We're talking Eurovision standard here.

#39 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

I'm sure her majesty's limo was hopping like a lo-lo.

#40 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,837 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Ah, its fine you miserable buggers! Although there is an over-reliance on the use of the video screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users