Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Briggs to Sheffield

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

Just heard that Kyle Briggs has signed for Sheffield,hope it's not true!!

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

I thought he liked playing at Dewsbury? Looks like Mr A has waved his wad under his nose in the hope he can get them away from the relegation drop!

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#3 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

I thought he liked playing at Dewsbury? Looks like Mr A has waved his wad under his nose in the hope he can get them away from the relegation drop!

Direct swap for patch ??  :swoon:

#4 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Think your right there piggy don't were clubs like Sheffield get there money from!! I was talking to Briggs after game Friday he said he was happy at rams,ah well money talks I suppose!!!

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

It's a shame if it is true, but I wouldn't be surprised. I heard that since the changes at Fev have happened they were asking for a much bigger transfer fee than previously - it looks as if Sheffield may have agreed to pay this. In addition they were probably offering KB more too, and you can't blame him for taking the best offer can you?

Let's just hope that we don't end up desperately light at half back again next season.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

According to this he has:

http://www.thestar.c...gning-1-6715100

#7 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

Why are people surprised??
The lad showed no interest or loyalty
The last time it was reputed he was signing for us a few years.

Dumped on us then, dumped on us now

Good riddance!!!!

#8 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

Really think the RFL need to tighten up the regulations around transfers during the course of a season. No doubt Morrison was planning to build the rest of 2014 around Briggs - especially as he'd stated his willingness to commit.

Posted Image

#9 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

Why are people surprised??
The lad showed no interest or loyalty
The last time it was reputed he was signing for us a few years.

Dumped on us then, dumped on us now

Good riddance!!!!

very silly comment from the forum drama queen.

briggs joined donny from leeds academy to play under ellery hanley and alongside the likes of luke burgess among others.

yes we showed an interest in him at that point but chose donny.

funnily enough he went on to sign for fev, become one of the best players in the championship and then play super league with bradford.

we ended up getting relegated, so i think he probably made the right choice. 

as for the current situation, i'd be disappointed to lose him, but we only signed him for one month and you have no idea what sort of package sheffield are offering him or what glenn's plans for the number six shirt are.

...and none of us know whether or not the story's even true. the sheffield star could be working on the same rumour as this forum.

so maybe less of the knee jerk and effigy burning?

#10 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

Hahaha numpty!!!

He stated he liked the club and joined another

I would rather see totally useless lads getting a run out who want to play for the club

Talking of which

Do you fancy a game ;) ??

He was a loan player. He got an offer 50% higher than we could offer, so a five figure sum. Perfectly sensible decision. How many of us are loyal to our employer to the point of turning down that amount of money?

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 09 July 2014 - 06:00 AM.

#11 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

I thought he had publicly stated that he was happy at Dewsbury and wanted to stay? And then off the the Seaguls?? I'm with the Drama Queen.... good riddance

Unless he wants to sign for Batley :lol:

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#12 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

first, he hasn't "joined another" club. you're slagging him off based on an internet rumour.

and even if he has, how do you know we've not told him that we intend to sign someone else in his position for 2015?

once again, you're clinging on to the most sensational explanation without any kind of solid evidence or waiting for the facts of the situation to emerge.

classic drama queen behaviour.

Edited by Jason Basin, 08 July 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#13 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

Really think the RFL need to tighten up the regulations around transfers during the course of a season. No doubt Morrison was planning to build the rest of 2014 around Briggs - especially as he'd stated his willingness to commit.

There is a cut off date, I believe, when no further movement of players can take place. May be wrong but the date of 27 July seems to stick in my mind. Can anyone confirm/amend this?

#14 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

first, he hasn't "joined another" club. you're slagging him off based on an internet rumour.

and even if he has, how do you know we've not told him that we intend to sign someone else in his position for 2015?

once again, you're clinging on to the most sensational explanation without any kind of solid evidence or waiting for the facts of the situation to emerge.

classic drama queen behabour.

Don't you think it would be nice hear something from the club to either confirm or deny the story!!

Edited by Tom Coates, 08 July 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#15 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

Some rubbish being typed on here I'm afraid.

First questioning his loyalty is a bit rich when some loyal fans will bleat about the smallest increase in prices etc - the lad's earning a living playing the game and has a family to support, do you expect him to turn down a significant increase on what we can offer for the sake of said "loyalty". I don't remember the same vitriol being directed at Walker and Brambini when they went.

Second, he's a Fev registered player and simply on loan here, so no RFL rules have been broken. Now if it were players who are already contracted for next season that would be a different matter, but no clubs would try to tempt them away would they? (Eyes swivel towards the West :angel: )

Thids, we're building the team around players who have already signed up for next season, e.g Brown, Thackeray so, whilst he will be a loss, he hasn't actually been here that long.

The odd thing for me is how Sheffield can afford to offer significantly more than clubs like ours. Let's just say that the better paid members of their current squad would be most interested to learn how much he is being paid - expect some movement from there this close season.

(From what i have heard on the grapevine he is 90% certain to sign for Sheffield.)

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#16 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Don't you think it would be nice hear something from the club to either confirm or deny the story!!

don't think the club should be expect to comment on rumours. think it's best to just wait for an official announcement by sheffield or us. if one doesn't come then he's still our player.

#17 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

don't think the club should be expect to comment on rumours. think it's best to just wait for an official announcement by sheffield or us. if one doesn't come then he's still our player.

Actually I think that should be Sheffield or Fev, to whom he is still contracted. He is only on loan with us so to comment about it publicly before either of the other two clubs would be a breach of protocol don't you think?

Edited by Blind side johnny, 08 July 2014 - 05:14 PM.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#18 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

Actually I think that should be Sheffield or Fev, to whom he is still contracted. He is only on loan with us so to comment about it publicly before either of the other two clubs would be a breach of protocol don't you think?

yeah, fair point.

#19 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

25 the July is cut off for signings and loans,also and DR player with a cap value of 20k or more ,must have already played 3 games prior to the 25th July to play afterwards 

#20 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 804 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

Fair play to the lad if he is getting a good deal at Sheffield. Not.sure why he is getting stick , its a short career . He owes us nothing , it's not as if he was ever under contact.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users