Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Briggs to Sheffield

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

Its not the length of the deal thats important its he amount of remuneration over the period of time thats relevant .,

Dunno about that.  I reckon they're both important.  £500000 a year is better that £500000 over 50 years.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#42 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

I think we should put this to bed,Briggs has gone good luck to him let's concentrate on the players that's there & push on till end of season!!!

Couldnt agree more.  You'd think we had Briggs on a 3 year contract the way some of the debate has gone..

Have to add my thanks to those who prop up our great club too and we might ponder (as others have suggested) the money spent on the ground this year.  We must easily have one of the nicest little grounds around now and its OURS!!!  Anyone who wasted £16 quid to try and watch the match at the Greyhound track in February would appreciate what we have....

#43 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

Yep, he's gone so let's move on.

#44 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:43 PM

Its unfortunate that we were unable to keep kyle long term but that my friends is the nature of the game for clubs such as ours and Batley .When you make what you feel is a fair and affordable offer to a player and then another club comes along and blows you out of the water there is little you can do about it except accept it and move on . We have to also accept that some similar positioned clubs have a greater income generated from their supporters and good luck to them . Our  lottery and squadbuilder in recent years has been on a downward spiral as has our sponsorships . It is quite amazing that our club can be competative in this divisions  company  considering how our income compares to some of the other clubs .Considering the ground improvements made and ongoing, and the calibre of players we have been able to attract a huge amount of respect and gratitude is due to the people running our club and the time ,effort and money that they have committed in the face of many adversities should be applauded.
     If it were possible to be made public the lengths that the management have gone to in order to try to keep our best players and indeed add to the squad then perhaps a little more understanding may be forthcoming from certain quarters .  Some of the comments earlier on this thread concerning kyle briggs are to say the least disappointing and wildly off the mark .
  I am assured that the club will strive to improve both on and off the field and as much support that fans can supply will be greatly appreciated , whether it be financial support large or small or alternativly for those with limited resources just by supporting .

Without criticising anyone at the club I have been a member of Squadbuilder since it started and have been told frankly nothing about how the money has been used. No information, no real recruitment drives to try and get more members. Maybe looking at what other clubs do differently might be worthwhile. Likewise with the Lottery, how much promotion does the club do? Appreciate that clubs time is very limited for promotion but lottery and Squadbuilder does not seem to be pushed very hard.

#45 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

Wakefield i tend to agree with you .

#46 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,458 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Without criticising anyone at the club I have been a member of Squadbuilder since it started and have been told frankly nothing about how the money has been used. No information, no real recruitment drives to try and get more members. Maybe looking at what other clubs do differently might be worthwhile. Likewise with the Lottery, how much promotion does the club do? Appreciate that clubs time is very limited for promotion but lottery and Squadbuilder does not seem to be pushed very hard.

Yep, me too MR.

I suppose that the complex structure of the club - mixing a privately shareheld company with a charitable organisation - makes the separation of the finances difficult, but some information would still be welcome.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#47 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

Likewise with the Lottery, how much promotion does the club do?

Best thing we did was merge our lottery with Sheffield United's.  Bigger headline prizes attracts more people, no prize money costs, and by the time we'd done all the admin, the lottery was breaking even at best.

There was a proposal a few years ago to have a joint lottery scheme for all Championship clubs but mutual distrust put paid to that.  It's a good example of the areas where clubs could be working together for mutual benefit ..... but they don't.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users